Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relay board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mcraneiowa
I recently purchased a 914 that had been sitting for quite some time. I am new to the forum and new to the 914 as well. I’m questioning whether I’m getting electricity to the fuel pump I’ve tested the various things I’ve read here and think it might be in the relay board. I have the relay board removed looking at the backside I noticed there’s some of the tarp pieces missing. Can these boards be repaired? They appear to be expensive to buy. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. Mike
BeatNavy
Hey Mike -- They can be repaired in most cases. You need to remove the black sealant off the back. Soak it in a strong solvent and gently scrape that off. That takes a while. Then inspect the traces visually and check for continuity with a multimeter. If there are any issues or doubts, fix those areas with some careful soldering. When done, you can seal it back up again with something like Liquid Tape (available at Home Depot / Lowes).

Have you gone through the fuel pump troubleshooting guide? There are a fair number of things that can go wrong and keep the pump from operating.

welcome.png
Mcraneiowa
Thank you for the quick reply. I really appreciate knowing there’s so much knowledge on this forum.
I purchased this 74 914 1.8 L about a month and a half ago.
From my conversation with the previous owner who mentioned it had a fuel related issue and never found the cause that is why it was parked. I am suspect of everything. I want to check each component as I go along and fix. I just wanted to get input from owners who have looked these boards over and the process in which to fix. Again I really appreciate your feedback and anyone else that she would like to contribute.
914Sixer
1.8 engines are all about vacuum. Make sure your hoses are good and the seal is good on oil filler neck. Then you are down to the AFM.
ClayPerrine
If you have a 1.8L engine, you have the L-Jet injection. L-Jet injection does not use any of the relays on the relay board. If you look carefully, you will find a black double relay attached to the battery tray support. One plug should go to the chassis harness and battery positive, and one should be all white wires going to the injection harness.

That is what powers the injection.

If you want to test the fuel pump, pull the yellow wire off the starter. Then turn the key to the start position. You should hear the fuel pump run.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.