Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Centre / gauge console unit fit and wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dt4
Sorry for the continuous questions but there is little by way of information over this side of the pond
I have been putting the console together and when I compared the gauge wiring harness to the wiring in the car there isn’t anything I can see that matches
The car is a 75 1.8
Should the wiring be part of the harness at the dash end or engine end?
Also the fit is way off
The side panel is up against the accelerator pedal and the heater lever is no where near fitting through
Photos to illustrate
Thank you
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
dt4
Also I can’t see how the wiring next to the ventilation lever mates to the demister light on the panelClick to view attachment
dt4
Looking back at my general wiring question it looks like those wires are for the console but then how would the wiring from the gauges feed through to those connectors
Oh this is twisting my melon man
dt4
I have found a pelican parts technical article that provides a lot of help
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ter_console.htm
I dont have the u bracket or the shift lever boot but the main thing is the angled heater lever that I need
I would hope to be able to figure out the wiring from the article but the closeness of the unit to the accelerator pedal still concerns me

The first thing I need is the angled heater lever
scottthephotog
Check the for sale threads and eBay for the parts you need. I found my heater lever on eBay for like $30 about a year ago.

Yes, the wires for the center console gauges do fit into the white plugs. It's just spade connectors with a plastic sleeve. The male connector is in the plastic sleeve, and the female end is the wires from the gauges. Just push the female connector into the opening and onto the male connector. The brown wire with the round connector attaches to the defroster light (plastic square next to the heater lever).

As far as the upper u bracket that connects to the dash, my console was missing that as well. I never installed one. I haven't had any issues with the console moving. It's a snug fit.
dt4
thanks @scottthephotog
Ill work at it beerchug.gif
76-914
There is a crappy console in the classifieds for sale. You could rob that piece as they seem to have fallen off the edge of the Earth. The heater lever is an on-off item that goes to earth and completes the circuit for the heater blower motor. There is a small harness for the console gages. They are plentiful. IIRC, the wiring schematic for the console gauges is on a separate page in the Haynes manual toward the end of the schematics section. beerchug.gif
EDIT: I may have that lever. I'll look around this morning. If so, you can have it for shipping costs.Wait a minute. I can see the lever in your pic. You just need the red knob for it. The 2 console brackets will hold the console in the correct position so it won't touch the pedal but it is close. You'll get used to it. Also, that lever should center up once the console is properly attached.
dt4
Thanks for the offer of the lever, it’s the angled one I need
I made up a bracket to keep the console clear of the accelerator pedal
I was then able to fit everything up and followed the wiring instructions on the pelican guide
The clock sounds like it’s working but not actually moving
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
scottthephotog
There's a gear in the clock that usually breaks. I've got 2 dead clocks that were supposedly working when I bought them. I gave up trying to find one and set mine to read 9:14.
dt4
QUOTE(scottthephotog @ Jun 18 2020, 05:28 AM) *

There's a gear in the clock that usually breaks. I've got 2 dead clocks that were supposedly working when I bought them. I gave up trying to find one and set mine to read 9:14.

that might be where I end up
The console fills the gap nicely and the voltmeter works smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.