Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to me 914. 74. 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mcraneiowa
Since the Covid situation started my work has required me to stay home, no travel. . Getting bored and frustrated I pushed a little harder on finding a car to work on. Here’s what I found.
This 74 Porsche 914 is truly an old barn find. I bought it from the second owner, first owner was the guys brother. From what I was told was that it was a summer toy, had always been garaged and never driven winters. In Iowa that’s important because we tend to use a lot of salt on the roads.

How I came about the car is I live outside of Des Moines about 15 miles and on the way home one day and noticed a barn a few miles down the road from our home with its doors open. I had never seen the doors open before so as I’m driving by, I notice tail lights. I thought, I think that’s a Porsche. Made a quick turnaround, stopped, knocked on the door and talked to the owners wife. She mentioned her husband parked it after it quit running 4-5 years ago. She said quite possibly her husband was interested in selling because he couldn’t get it running due to a fuel related issue.

It took a few rounds of dickering but convinced him I would get it back on the road, purchased it, aired up the tires and pulled it home. After a bath and some vacuuming I did a closer inspection and found very little rust, mainly a few small spots under the rear portion of the seats. I pulled up the tar on the floor, which is probably great for deadening sound but not so great for allowing water to escape. I decided to replace the rear half of the floors and repair two small spots on the battery side hellhole. Of course once I started tearing into it, I found a few more small spots. I cut any rusted areas and welded in new metal. I used Por 15 as a sealer and have the passenger side floor painted. Overall Very happy with the car and look forward to getting it up and going.

The car sits with 88,000 miles on the clock and is a 1.8. After I get the engine bay and driver side Floor painted this week I expect my Stainless steel gas lines from tangerine racing will arrive by then. I’m rebuilding components as I go along, Such as brake pedal cluster, shifter, alternator, belt,replacing cables and other mics parts. My goal is hopefully [code] a roadworthy car in relatively short order
I’m excited to get it up and going and I am confident I will have to rely on many of you to provide me information as I stumble along.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Your car looks great! And let me be the first:

welcome.png welcome.png

Great story of how you found it, too. They really are still out there in those barns!
lierofox
welcome.png

I wish my barn find 914 looked even half that good when I first plucked it out and started working on it.

IPB Image

Spoiler alert, it's been 6 years since I took that picture, and it doesn't look much better!
brcacti
welcome.png

LOOKS GREAT
AmjadY
I love it!
Love the color!

welcome and enjoy the journey...
aharder
welcome.png
I have the same car but a 75, wish it only had 88,000 miles beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Coondog
Great find
Big Len
Great find. I always looks when I pass a barn too.
mbseto
Nice find. Those are cool looking wheels...
Nojoah
welcome.png Great looking car!
914_7T3
Looks like a nice one!

welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.