Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Screwed up the washer, POS rags from Costco
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Wife and kids get home tomorrow so I thought I would do some laundry (I hate laundry). Ran the rags and everything is red. White socks are pink. I separated the stuff. Why is this so GD hard. The rags literally fell apart and the washer is full of red fuzz. headbang.gif

This worse than the F'in car. chair.gif

Dave
bd1308
oh shit....

throw whites in the washer with some SOME bleach...whites are...well ya know

light colored things go in seperate load...use color-safe bleach? warm water

darks are the rags...wash in cold water...
dmenche914

1. wash whites seperate from colors

2. colors wash in warm or cold, never hot.

3. Add bleach only on bleach proof fabric, but only add it after the tank is full.

4. Use Wool-lite and gentel cycle on delicate fabircs and wool.

5. do not wash shop rags with clothes, and after running shop rags, run an empty cycle with soap before swicthing back to clothes.

Guess now is time to wipe out the lint, and run some empty cycles to clean it up.

Air dry them rags, don't put them in the dryer, too much lint can cause a fire, and at best your dirty up the dryer.

for the pink socks, try washing them again, in hot, with bleach, you might be able to get them white again. may need to soak in bleach for a while.

hope you get it all back to normal before the Mrs. gets home.

I consider cheap rags as disposable, rarely wash them. Look at the bright side, even if you can't get them socks white again, you now have a supply of pink, sock shaped shop rags!!!!

sorry man!
bd1308
have alot of these beer3.gif

and watch re-runs and make your eyes glaze over......

cover yourself with news-paper and have drool come out of your mouth and have it drip into a bowl.

the wife will freak and forget about the messed up laundry.
campbellcj
I've been using those types of red rags for years, including the actual Costco ones...but I don't usually wash 'em. I just use 'em until they are nice and toxic and nasty, and then toss 'em. I don't want solvents, grease or other household or automotive spuge in my washer & dryer...
rhodyguy
hahahaha. chairfall.gif said bestsy, "dave, did you wash your greasy shop rags with the clothes!!!!". what the hell were you thinking about!? chair.gif don't worry, if you use enough bleach to get the whites white again, they will rot away to nothing. cycle the washer empty. x2 with soap. if betsy comes home, does some clothes from vacation, and stuff comes out pink again, you can forget about whistler.

k
DNHunt
I separated the stuff. I learned that much in 55 years. But, damn, you guys are good. I sure didn't know all that other shit. I running an empty load now.

I guess I'm just too cheap. Guess what kind of Porsche I have.

Dave
DNHunt
Oh ya, I ran the whites after the red rags. I thought all of the shit would just pass through.
rhodyguy
all that grease and solvent is great for the little microbes in the septic system too.

k
bd1308
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Jul 9 2005, 10:55 PM)
Oh ya, I ran the whites after the red rags. I thought all of the shit would just pass through.

deal is you gotta start with the whites and move toward darker colors...learned the hard way in the dorm.... i had blue tinted whities for a LONG TIME
DNHunt
Not a problem Kevin, the microbes are a renewable resource. Where I screwed up was I should have cleaned the garage a while ago cause I could have washedall the red lint out before Betsy gets home. Empty load 2, Beer 5.

Dave
rhodyguy
don't count on anything. run a test load with 1 pair of jocky shorts just to make sure.

k
DNHunt
I'll try an old T shirt. I can't face pink ball bags.
dmenche914
my ball bags are by nature pink, and hairy.

sorry, had to say it.

bunch up the test tee shirt, and tie some rubber bands around it in interesting patterns, and that way if it still tints the tee shirt pink, you got tie dye, groovey man, cool and way out!!! You be hip with tie dye.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Jul 9 2005, 10:21 PM)
my ball bags are by nature pink, and hairy.

sorry, had to say it.

bunch up the test tee shirt, and tie some rubber bands around it in interesting patterns, and that way if it still tints the tee shirt pink, you got tie dye, groovey man, cool and way out!!! You be hip with tie dye.

lol2.gif pray.gif chairfall.gif
MattR
The solution is easy;

get a girlfriend

ohmy.gif
redshift
It's obvious to me that this is one of those stories that needs arson..

cool_shades.gif

"I was just making a cheese sandwich!"

M
GWN7
Take everthing that turned pink and throw it out. Put it in the garbage. Take the bag and toss it 5 miles from home. Run 2 or 3 loads with just bleach in the washer.......leave no evidence. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
next time buy the more expensive white Costco rags. They wash up fine if they aren't too full of oil and grease.
scotty b
smilie_pokal.gif On the upside...she'll NEVER eask you to do laundry again! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.