Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Bolt Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bee Jay
I started removing my engine today. I've got two stripped CV Bolts. Wayne's tech article says to use dremmel. Any other advice or ideas? If I use the dremmel, do I remove the entire head.
Bee Jay
Dr Evil
Can you grip them with vice grips? I have had success with that method. With a dremel you hav basically two options:1. cut a slot in it for a big straight slot, 2. cut head off and get rest out later. You can take the whole drive flange out if you need to to fix it later. It is only held in by one bolt.
DNHunt
You can try vice grips on the outside. You can dremel in a slot in the head and try a slotted screw driver. Plenty of penetrant and lots of patience. I've never had to cut one off but, it seems to me that that would work too. I'm not sure about heat. I've never had to use it and I have a get fear of fire near magnesium.

This comes pretty close to hijack but, what the hell. I'm a dentist and I had to get a metal bar (her denture clipped to it) out of a person's mouth that was screwed to 3 implants in her jaw. The DPD (damn previous dentist) had stipped the head where the allen wrench went. The heads are about 2mm in diameter and there were in 3 1/2 mm holes down about 5 mm. I used my smallest drill (1/2mm in diameter) and cut slots in all three and backed them out. Course I still struggle with CV joint bolts.

Dave
dmenche914
Pulling the frange however (wheel side) destroys the wheel bearing, it is a one shot deal with them bearings

I have removed stripped bolts, done it with a big vise grip, else cut or grind the head off (off with their heads!!!!) and slip the joint off. (done that too)
once the joint is slipped off,the headless bolt ought to turn out real easy, as it is no longer under tension, and you can grab it with the vice grips.

to avoid furture probelms, be sure your are using the 12 point 8 mm tool for cv bolts unless someone replaced them with allen heads at one time.

Clean the bolt head with some spray carb cleaner,a nd use a metal pick to get all the road crud and dirt out of the bolt head. Then insert the correct tool (allen or 12 pt.) and tap it on in so it seats well, all the way in. that way you have the best chance of not stripping the bolt.

I have run across 914 where the prior owner replaced some bolts with allen, some with 12 pt, so beware, they may not all be the same on the same car!!!

Always use new lock washers, and torque to specifications.
jet1
Craftsman bolt removal tool. Good luck.
Bee Jay
Thanks.
I will try cutting a slot in them today. I used the proper tool, but my bad was not using new bolts the last time I had them out. No way do these or this type go back in. What is the best replacement? Bolts with hex drive. I am on Dr. Evil's second step to the dark side.
Bee Jay
Dr Evil
QUOTE (Bee Jay @ Jul 10 2005, 06:41 AM)
What is the best replacement? Bolts with hex drive.

Yup. From time to time I make socket head bolt seats with holes drilled in them for safety wire. No special tool and no worries about them coming undone and wrecking your underside biggrin.gif You can find socket head bolts at most fastener suply places. They are 8mm by 1.25 pitch if I am not mistaken.
Bee Jay
Jet 1, you are the man. I owe you a cold root beer. I stopped by Sears Craftsman after church today to get dremmel bits. I checked out the bolt extraction tools. I assumed it would be something that required drilling. Nope. You just tap these suckers over the bolt, and back them out using a wrench. No muss, no fuss. I was done with both in ten minutes. I bought the whole kit for $50, but if you only want to buy what you need, buy the $20 set that includes the #8.
I hope to have this engine out tonight.
Bee Jay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.