Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking for original pristine 914 in Santa Cruz, Bay area.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottsilvertt
pristine 914 in santa cruz, or bay area

Hello,
one of my cars is a 74 914. i'm second owner, I have had 15 yrs. Its highly original, except for a few changes 40 yrs ago.
I am starting to do some work to make it lovely again.
I need to weld in the battery tray, which i have the metal for.
the original owner was advised to move the battery location, back some 40 yrs ago. so he had the tray cut out.

i would like to find a pristine 914 in santa cruz, or bay area, where i can see and photo the battery tray area, all the welds, count spot welds, and put the tray back in right.

does anyone have a car I could see?
ScottA

i knew a guy that had a stunning original, mega low mile 914, i think it was green, maybe orange, in the bay, but I have lost touch with him over 10 yrs.
he also had a light grey 356. (not stone grey, not dolphin, but heron grey i think.)
betz
I have a 914 with the battery tray in the original spot (probably) but it does sort of have a hole in the middle of it.
scottsilvertt
QUOTE(betz @ Jun 18 2020, 08:23 AM) *

I have a 914 with the battery tray in the original spot (probably) but it does sort of have a hole in the middle of it.

Thanks I sent you email with my phone number. Scott
9one4tay
Hi Scott,

You can look at and take pics of the battery tray in my 74' 914 if you would like. The car is not pristine, but extremly original. I live in Boulder Creek, CA. What color is your 914, and what part of Santa Cruz do you live?

Travis Skelton
betz
Yes the originality of my car is questionable and I'm all the way in San Jose. I've also got a minor hell hole... a heck hole, so to speak. But I figured my jokey response would at least bump your thread. This Travis gentleman seems like a better candidate. But, if it doesn't work out I would be willing to help.
914_7T3
QUOTE(9one4tay @ Jun 18 2020, 09:31 AM) *

Hi Scott,

You can look at and take pics of the battery tray in my 74' 914 if you would like. The car is not pristine, but extremly original. I live in Boulder Creek, CA. What color is your 914, and what part of Santa Cruz do you live?

Travis Skelton

@9one4tay & @scottsilvertt

Should you guys get together, please PM me or post the dimensions to this thread as my car is getting a new tray welded in next Tuesday and I can also use this info.

To the originality of the tray itself, only the Genuine Porsche trays have the three holes on the side facing the fire wall. Also note the threaded nut on the face of the front corner closest to the firewall. These are correct should you opt to connect the ECU bracket in its correct position.

Click to view attachment

Here is a pic of my car when I rescued it from the previous owner in Santa Cruz , CA in April of 2017.

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
scottsilvertt
I'm happy to post images of what I find.
I am adding the sheet metal back, specifically to mount the brain.
Thanks for all the extra details.
scottsilvertt
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jun 18 2020, 10:45 AM) *

Hi Scott,

Travis Skelton

Should you guys get together, please PM me or post the dimensions to this thread as my car is getting a new tray welded in next Tuesday and I can also use this info.

To the originality of the tray itself, only the Genuine Porsche trays have the three holes on the side facing the fire wall. Also note the threaded nut on the face of the front corner closest to the firewall. These are correct should you opt to connect the ECU bracket in its correct position.

Click to view attachment

Here is a pic of my car when I rescued it from the previous owner in Santa Cruz , CA in April of 2017.

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

driving-girl.gif
Can yoh show me a photo of the underside of the red primed Porsche tray?
914_7T3
QUOTE(scottsilvertt @ Jun 18 2020, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jun 18 2020, 10:45 AM) *

Hi Scott,

Travis Skelton

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

driving-girl.gif
Can yoh show me a photo of the underside of the red primed Porsche tray?

I just have these photos of the base as the vendors are drop shipping direct to the body shop.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
flipb
If you're new to the board, also check out the Originality & History forum. Lots of good photos and documentation.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...amp;s=&f=44
burton73
Not sure if this would help you but this is the original battery tray from my 914-6 number 41 30th car down the production. My car had really no rust to speak of but a shop removed the old tray as I wanted a brand new one. The old one was really very good but I wanted that kind of detail on my remade car.

You can see where they drilled out the welds.

The center hole is a drain hole for water and battery acid. You can see the original Cannery yellow color and the green repaint. This car had at least 3 repaints from 1970 to 1986

Bob B
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
That was a good battery tray but I do understand replacing it. beerchug.gif
scottsilvertt
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 18 2020, 03:41 PM) *

Not sure if this would help you but this is the original battery tray from my 914-6 number 41 30th car down the production. My car had really no rust to speak of but a shop removed the old tray as I wanted a brand new one. The old one was really very good but I wanted that kind of detail on my remade car.

The center hole is a drain hole for water and battery acid. You can see the original Cannery yellow color and the green repaint. This car had at least 3 repaints from 1970 to 1986

Bob B
Click to view attachment

PERFECT
scottsilvertt
QUOTE(scottsilvertt @ Jun 18 2020, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 18 2020, 03:41 PM) *

Bob B
Click to view attachment

PERFECT

And what is this part? Was this also on 914-4?
Did it hold the brain loom?

914_7T3
I don't believe that loop on Bob's tray is used on a 914-4 and for sure not on a '73.

I took the below photo of the red car a few weeks ago at the Socal Rally. Notice where the ECU bracket connects to the corner on an original Tray.

Click to view attachment

This photo is of my car with the after market tray that is missing the center hole and also does not have the threaded hole for the corner of the ECU bracket. That is why the ECU bracket is too far over towards the passenger side.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.