Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Missing Relays
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fizz74
Hi

I have recently become the proud owner of 1973 914 1.7.
It does need abit of work and I am a newbie to the 914.

After some tinkering, I managed to start the Porsche and get it running although not for long. It sounds like fuel starvation and has a very noisy fuel pump.

When I popped open the regulator plate for inspection, I noticed a few of the relays were missing, the Power supply relay and the Fuel pump relay?
I've not had the chance to get the multi meter on it as the 914 is under covers and its been raining here in the UK for the past few days.

I'm wondering how the 914 started without the Fuel pump relay?
The fuel pump clearly works because I can hear it and the 914 started and ran, I actually drove it(on a private road)??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
SirAndy
Does it have carbs? I've seen it many times where people get power for the pump from somewhere else (even directly from the coil) when slapping carbs on a 914.

If it is still the original D-Jet, you need both of those relays.
shades.gif

PS: Post some pics ...

fizz74
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 18 2020, 10:26 AM) *

Does it have carbs? I've seen it many times where people get power for the pump from somewhere else (even directly from the coil) when slapping carbs on a 914.

If it is still the original D-Jet, you need both of those relays.
shades.gif

PS: Post some pics ...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The heater blower relay is also missing??
No carbs still on D-Jet.
Still wondering how it started??
SirAndy
QUOTE(fizz74 @ Jun 18 2020, 10:11 AM) *
Still wondering how it started??

Somebody probably hotwired the fuel pump ...
popcorn[1].gif
Frankvw
Welcome to the 914 !
since you managed to start it and run it shortly means your pump can run somehow, so gets the power somewhere else. You mention the pump makes a lot of noise. Another signal that it gets power.
Jonathan Livesay
Is the fuel pump in the engine compartment? It should be on the firewall below the engine shelf on the passenger side. When you find it check if it is connected by the original connector or just with a + wire and a ground wire. If it runs without the fuel pump relay it's got to be the latter. You only need the 2 middle relays for the car to run. The one that is there is the main power relay the other (missing) is fuel pump, the two end ones are for rear window defroster and heater fan in the engine compartment.
I would see if I could find the correct pump wires, the original connector should be a white plastic cylinder with two wires. It's about 1/2 inch in diameter and almost 1 inch long. If you find it and it's not plugged in try taking the other wires off and plugging in the original connector. Then put a relay in the empty middle socket and see if it runs.
bbrock
FYI, the headlight motors use the same relays so you might be able to borrow one from up there for testing.
fizz74
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 19 2020, 07:53 AM) *

FYI, the headlight motors use the same relays so you might be able to borrow one from up there for testing.

Will be testing this tomorrow thanks for the info and help.
I will let you know how i get on.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(fizz74 @ Jun 19 2020, 10:13 AM) *

You need to trace the wires to the fuel pump FIRST and figure out where it is getting power, and then unplug it from there.

Otherwise putting a relay into the hole won't tell you anything since the pump gets its power elsewhere.

You have some unfucking to do.

Zach
rhodyguy
Your relay board is a mess. 914sixer is selling refurbished and tested relay boards in the classifieds. Your FI harness has seen better days. In most cases, there is no simple fix for 'as found' cars with FI issues. Prepare to spend some money.
914_teener
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jun 19 2020, 07:20 AM) *

QUOTE(fizz74 @ Jun 19 2020, 10:13 AM) *

You need to trace the wires to the fuel pump FIRST and figure out where it is getting power, and then unplug it from there.

Otherwise putting a relay into the hole won't tell you anything since the pump gets its power elsewhere.

You have some unfucking to do.

Zach

agree.gif +10
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.