Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dang....Porsche parts are expensive!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
Joking of course....we all know that.

Sometimes it still surprises me even after owning and working on these cars for 35 years now, what some parts from the dealer cost.

Latest example.
These are for my 911 but they could just as well be on someone's 914?

For those that don't recognize, they are the brake pad retaining springs for 930 calipers and support brackets for the aluminum front suspension cross member.
I thought it "might" be easier, quicker to just buy a couple of these items instead of putting together a big yellow zinc plating order.

I need 4 retainers and 2 brackets.
Total from my Porsche dealer who is the "cheapest" around....
wait for it.....

Click to view attachment

About $390.
$75 each for the retainers and $45 each for the brackets.
Lots of places sell these for much, much more.

Looks like I'm putting together a yellow zinc plating order for the local plater. Ha
914_7T3
FWIW, plating is not cheap either. My plater's minimum is $75.00, so better to fill a bucket and plate everything in sight laugh.gif
euro911
$75. each for the retainer springs? Criminy yikes.gif

Wondering if 914Rubber can have them fab'd for a lot less idea.gif
914e
If you think that is expensive watch this for current Porsche brake prices.

Porsche Reinvents The Brake Rotor - No Rust, Low Dust, No Fade!

bkrantz
Somewhere in the Porsche company a couple of guys keep making bets about how high they can price some trivial part and still sell a few.
porschetub
I costed out those support brackets @ way more than your cost and ran for cover ,made a set from mild steel 6mm flatbar for maybe $5 and maybe an hours work.
Those springs are off Brembo 4 pot calipers right ?
Porsche parts have always been all over the place,modern stuff is reasonable due to higher production numbers but some non wear parts are mental.....still.
falcor75
I was really happy when they started selling new drive shafts for our cars for €350 a piece. Replaced one last year and figured I'd do the other now and they have more than doubled the price to €840. Too much to pay for peace of mind so I'll just wear on my rebuild one a bit longer.
dcheek
When I had my 911 up on the lift I noticed a bolt missing. Not wanting to take a chance with Home Depot or HF hardware, I ordered these from Porsche. 1 bolt, 1 nut and 2 washers (the smaller bolt was mine). When the parts guy told me the price he could not look me in the face and was waiting for my reaction. Yikes!!!!

Click to view attachment

Dave
mepstein
QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 19 2020, 12:33 PM) *

When I had my 911 up on the lift I noticed a bolt missing. Not wanting to take a chance with Home Depot or HF hardware, I ordered these from Porsche. 1 bolt, 1 nut and 2 washers (the smaller bolt was mine). When the parts guy told me the price he could not look me in the face and was waiting for my reaction. Yikes!!!!

Click to view attachment

Dave

That’s strange. I ordered all the front suspension hardware at my Porsche dealer and I think every nut, bolt and washer came to about $50 total. I thought that was a lot but I wanted to see what the Porsche hardware looked like compared to Belmetric. The Porsche hardware was not plated while the belmetric was played. I’ll have to look for the receipt.
euro911
It pays to shop around iffin time is on your side ...

In the future, Porsche of Indianapolis might be a good source for you in NJ:

Click to view attachment

Circle Porsche, Long Beach CA - this is where I will-call parts (and ditch the shipping charge)

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Unless your doing a numbers matching restoration that requires the "right" markings on the bolt heads....it's awful hard to beat Belmetric for standard yellow zinc hardware. My local "go to" hardware store has great stuff, but none of it is yellow zinc. It's all clear zinc.
mepstein
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jun 19 2020, 02:50 PM) *

Unless your doing a numbers matching restoration that requires the "right" markings on the bolt heads....it's awful hard to beat Belmetric for standard yellow zinc hardware. My local "go to" hardware store has great stuff, but none of it is yellow zinc. It's all clear zinc.

agree.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jun 19 2020, 11:50 AM) *

Unless your doing a numbers matching restoration that requires the "right" markings on the bolt heads....

You mean like the time I reached out to @914Sixer to see if he had 8 correct Kamax bolts for my trunk lids?

lol-2.gif
Carbon-14
Click to view attachment

https://www.hemmings.com/parts/item/18722.html
The perfect pair.
As is condition, grossly corroded, seawater corroded, likely internally the same condition.
A sea urchin found in the float bowl. lol. Amazing.
raynekat
QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 19 2020, 09:33 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Dave

I can get that 90008201603 bolt for $18 at my local Porsche dealer.
About 1/3 of your cost.
And the washers were about $10 ea.
Of course you'd have shipping unless you are living in the greater Portland area. wink.gif

Sunset in Beaverton is one the best if not the best for getting all these parts at the lowest price possible.
euro911
QUOTE(Carbon-14 @ Jun 19 2020, 07:14 PM) *
WOW yikes.gif ... $12.5k?

I picked up a pair of those Solex carbs with manifolds & linkage for my 911 on ebay several years ago... for a mere $300. mueba.gif Since I'm lacking the period-correct air filter housings for them, and at pricing of > $10k, hell, I might as well sell them to help offset the car's restoration costs laugh.gif

idea.gif

Headed down to the restoration shop last month

Click to view attachment

A lot of rusted underbody metal needs replaced dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Fortunately, I purchased all the sheetmetal parts a long time ago, when it was affordable cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.