Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: URO spares vs Lemforder quality
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frostyf
Just wanted to get opinions on the quality of URO spares vs Lemforder??

Im looking at tie-rod assembly's and 19mm master cylinders but the URO spares are literally half the price of Lemforder!

Has anyone tried and had issues with the URO spares quality? Are they sumply not worth it?

Thanks, Nick
UROpartsman
Hi Nick, our Turbo Tie Rod Kit 930 347 020 00KIT has been well-received in the 911 community. We've even been providing OEM bellows with our kits for the last year or so, after having issues with the rubber bellows in our kits sold prior to 2019.
• See this Garage Time - Restomod video for a kit overview: https://youtu.be/kjg82Gv_-Go
• After watching the beginning, you can skip ahead to 24:58 if you only want to see the tie rod kit portion.

Our Master Cylinder 911 355 012 02 has undergone several running changes over the last few years:
• In early 2018, we discovered that customers didn't realize they had to reuse their original stand-off washers (located under the rubber grommets) for the fluid feed lines. Not using the washers resulted in minor reservoir fluid leakage, which resulted in some hysteria online (even though reservoir line weep has nothing to do with brake line pressure). Rather than add a note to the box about reusing the washers, we began providing new, pre-installed washers. Installation and bleeding Porsche 914 master cylinders is still difficult and unpleasant, but providing the stand-off washers made installation a bit easier for folks.

• In Fall of 2018 we had a production run with mounting ears that were a bit thicker than OE, though this had no impact on fitment or performance. Ears were thinned to match OE for subsequent production runs.

• In Summer of 2019, we received some reports of fluid weeping from the Welch plug on the cylinder body. Our engineers tested quite a few units from inventory at very high fluid pressure (much higher than maximum vehicle braking pressure), but were unable to force any units to leak at the Welch plug. But just to be sure, we had the production line start adding a high-strength epoxy sealant to the top periphery of the plug.

If anyone has any issues with a recently-purchased master cylinder, we certainly want to hear about it. If anyone bought one of the older units and had issues with it, we're happy to provide you with a warranty exchange, just send us a message and we'll get you taken care of.
914Sixer
Good to hear improvements have been made to URO parts.
frostyf
Thank you for the details of the various updates!
nickg
be aware that Lemforder is also making them ( and a lot of parts ) in china...so older ones in Germany are gonna cost if you can locate them
mepstein
QUOTE(nickg @ Jun 27 2020, 07:11 PM) *

be aware that Lemforder is also making them ( and a lot of parts ) in china...so older ones in Germany are gonna cost if you can locate them

smile.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=Lemforder
Tdskip
I needed help on something several months ago and @UROpartsman Was very responsive and stood by their product.
Montreal914
Positive comments from the rep doesn't really prove anything...

Anyone with 100,000 miles experience on installed parts who can share feedback, 914 or 911? popcorn[1].gif
frostyf
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 28 2020, 01:45 AM) *

QUOTE(nickg @ Jun 27 2020, 07:11 PM) *

smile.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=Lemforder

Mark, so I plumped with a lemforder set. In the add for the nos set you bought, the seller said washers are not required for 914. Is he referring to the spacer washers that go between the tie rod and steering rack?? Watching Ian Karr' s turbo tie rod install he said they are needed to stop the rack over extending and damaging?

Do you know if the spacer washers are needed??

Thanks Nick
frostyf
So I plumped with a lemforder turbo tie rod set, but would have bought the URO set if Id spotted the price Ive just become aware of.

I noticed in the NOS add Mark H sold to Mark E, it says washers not required for 914.

Does anyone know if this refers to the spacer washer between the inner tie rod end and the steering rack?? In Ian's you tube video he says they're required to prevent damage should the rack hyper extend. Does anyone know, is that the case for 914's or is the spacer washer not needed.

Hope I've not misunderstood the add text but in my crude measurements I might need to buy thinner spacer washers as I could so with some more reduction to my new tie rod lengths.

Does anyone know regarding the washer requirement??

Thanks, Nick
ConeDodger
I went with Lemdorfer. I don’t fool around with anything that steers or stops the car...
mepstein
QUOTE(frostyf @ Jun 28 2020, 02:18 PM) *

So I plumped with a lemforder turbo tie rod set, but would have bought the URO set if Id spotted the price Ive just become aware of.

I noticed in the NOS add Mark H sold to Mark E, it says washers not required for 914.

Does anyone know if this refers to the spacer washer between the inner tie rod end and the steering rack?? In Ian's you tube video he says they're required to prevent damage should the rack hyper extend. Does anyone know, is that the case for 914's or is the spacer washer not needed.

Hope I've not misunderstood the add text but in my crude measurements I might need to buy thinner spacer washers as I could so with some more reduction to my new tie rod lengths.

Does anyone know regarding the washer requirement??

Thanks, Nick

When I rebuilt my 914 with early 911 suspension, I tried it without the thick spacer washers but it didn't work. I needed them. Car is a '71 914-4 with 1970 911 suspension.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.