Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail Shift issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
When I'm driving my car it does not like to go into fourth gear. Every other gear is fine except fourth. The only way it does go into fourth gear is if I shift as if it's going into fourth, but it goes into 2nd instead. I pull it out, then slide it back into fourth and it goes into gear. Any ideas what this could be?
brant
it could be bushings.
it could be adjustment of the linkage
or it could be internal in the shift fork adjustments.

I ditched my tail shifter years ago
so don' t have a ton of experience with the tail style
I did replace all of the tail shifter style bushings first with good success...

when did you last replace all of your bushings...? including the balls on the tail style linkage?

if not recent... I'd buy and replace all of them. then readjust the shifter and check the clutch. If that doesn't fix it... I'd go inside the box last.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 19 2020, 03:34 PM) *

it could be bushings.

when did you last replace all of your bushings...? including the balls on the tail style linkage?

if not recent... I'd buy and replace all of them. then readjust the shifter and check the clutch. If that doesn't fix it... I'd go inside the box last.

Just got bushings from Pelican and plan to replace them soon.. Hopefully it's not an internal issue.. Thank you for your input.
brant
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jun 19 2020, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jun 19 2020, 03:34 PM) *

it could be bushings.

Just got bushings from Pelican and plan to replace them soon.. Hopefully it's not an internal issue.. Thank you for your input.

its rarely internal.
I've had shift forks inside loose their alignment... but only due to hard track use and high temps above a street trans.

most likely the new bushings and setting everything up right will solve it.
don't forget to replace the special pin-bolts that connect the shift rods, they have a nylon (lock style) insert that wears out after 1 or 2 uses.
rhodyguy
There is also a rolled pin inside the tail shift where the rod enters the trans. Covered with an acess plate.
brant
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 19 2020, 02:13 PM) *

There is also a rolled pin inside the tail shift where the rod enters the trans. Covered with an acess plate.

We replace that pin with a hardened allen bolt.
solves the problem permanently for track use
brant
rhodyguy
Do you have to tap/thread the lever shaft and shift finger? Haynes P.57 for those following at home.
brant
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 19 2020, 02:24 PM) *

Do you have to tap/thread the lever shaft and shift finger? Haynes P.57 for those following at home.

to clarify... on my side shifter.. .yes.
on the shift console, we remove the roll pin
and install a bolt with a lock nut in its place
I think the nut is tack welded too... everything is buttoned up right now or I could take a picture.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 19 2020, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 19 2020, 02:24 PM) *

to clarify... on my side shifter.. .yes.
on the shift console, we remove the roll pin
and install a bolt with a lock nut in its place
I think the nut is tack welded too... everything is buttoned up right now or I could take a picture.

Thank you for the input. I understand what you're saying about the bolt and lock nut replacing the roll pin. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of shape the bushings are in when I tear it down.

My car won't be getting any track use, just regular street driving..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.