Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is "this" vapor lock ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wyvern
My '74 2.0 with stock injection runs really well ...
Recent refresh, and swapping from a 1.7 to a 2.0 has totally been worth it.

But.
Twice now in warm weather (85 /90) after a stint on the freeway at about 70 mph not pushing it, i get on the surface street 35 to 40,mph, and about a mile into that, Oil temp gauge in about the 10 o'clock position...
I loose power and the care dies, feels like no spark or no fuel. Trying to start I do hear the pump running ... I takes quite a bit of cranking and it almost fires up. waiting about 10 min and it does fire up with some pumping of the gas. All is well.

Fuel pump is in the stock location.

I read a lot about relocating to the firewall or under the tank. I thought that vapor lock happens once stopped and no flow, then boiling / gassing the fuel. Is that not correct?

I did swap the coil but not yet driven it
Thoughts please
SirAndy
Could be but something ain't right.

I've been driving (early) 914s in the CA summer for many years and i never ever had any problems with vapor lock while driving my 1.7L D-Jet.

There were only two times where my carbed 2056 wouldn't start after a long drive on a hot summer day. But that was after i stopped and turned off the car and came back a few minutes later only to find the gas in the float bowls had turned into vapor.

So yes, this could possibly be vapor lock, but ask yourself how could your fuel pump get so hot while you are still driving that the fuel inside boils?
idea.gif
mepstein
My ‘71 - 1.7 used to vapor lock on really hot days around town and Bob’s / Saigon’s car did it repeatedly at octenerfest. We had to borrow a spray bottle of water and spray down the fuel pump to get the car started. It was worse going slow uphill on a hot day or slowing and stopping at an intersection. He moved the pump and the problem went away. I used to have it happen on my first 914 back in the 80’s. The car would stall as I drove down the highway on a really hot day.

I would move the fuel pump to the front.
Cairo94507
I agree with Mark. My '73 2.0 would vapor lock in the summer whenever I would had down to L.A. when it was real hot out. beerchug.gif
saigon71
I think it could very well be vapor lock. While some have never
experienced it with the pump in the stock location or on the firewall,
I certainly did. I've got no idea why some 914's are immune. Missing out on part of the drive at Okteenerfest was
the last straw. I moved it to the 75-76 location and haven't had a problem since.
Olympic 914
Used to happen a lot to mine also when it was a stock 1.7

If I stopped for gas on a hot day it wouldn't start for a while OR I had to cool down Fuel pump with water of something. Only happened a couple times driving along.

Once in Georgia when the temp was 100 deg rolling along it died. Just got out my beach towel and laid in the sun off the side of the road and worked on my tan for about an hour.

Moved the pump to the front after retuning from that trip. no more problems.
bbrock
My first (70) 914 vapor locked all the time. The fix, of course, is to relocate the pump but I read a nifty trick (I think in Mid-Engine Views) that worked as a simple stop gap.

Scavenge the clicker cap off a ballpoint pen. Pop the cover off the fuel pump relay and drill a hole in the center just large enough to slide the small end of the clicker cap through. Glue the cover back on the relay and reinstall. Now you have a manual push button to circulate fuel through the system to clear the vapor lock. After a vapor lock on my car, about 30 seconds pushing the magic button got me back on the road instead of having to wait 10-30 minutes for the car to cool down enough to clear on its own.
Wyvern
Thanks guys... I just had never had vapor lock happen while running on any car. and with the circulating fuel in the FI system I just didn't see it.

Time to relocate .

So I see the AA relocation kit and assume that is under the tank / trunk access after that.
So while at it will do a new pump 2 port is the way to go ... correct?

Ohhh "bbrock" the clicker switch on the relay is a really cool idea but will relocate.
saigon71
The AA kit I ordered placed the fuel fuel pump in the cavity directly above the steering rack access panel on the bottom of the car. I changed my mind and sourced the blister from a 75-76 and mounted it in the front trunk. A lot of folks have used the AA kit with success.

2 port pump makes the relocation easier.

You will be so happy you did this. I once got stuck in a cemetary in the middle of summer in a full suit leaving a funeral because of vapor lock. blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.