Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken clutch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
‘74, 2.0

When we got her I inspected the entire car, replaced/rebuilt just about everything that was critical, my son loves the car, drives it all of the time and was on his way to his favorite fishing hole (ah to be 18 again) when he calls and says: the clutch cable broke!

Click to view attachment

Looks like it broke in the middle!
Superhawk996
Check condition of body to transmission ground strap.

Needs to be a zero ohm connection

When this ground strap is missing or high resistance, the clutch and throttle cables become the ground when starting.

This crates a lot of heat in the cables and leads to the type of failure you have - sudden failure without warning.
porschetub
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 21 2020, 07:33 AM) *

Check condition of body to transmission ground strap.

Needs to be a zero ohm connection

When this ground strap is missing or high resistance, the clutch and throttle cables become the ground when starting.

This crates a lot of heat in the cables and leads to the type of failure you have - sudden failure without warning.

agree.gif probably not high tensile after being heat cycled.
jim_hoyland
Interesting ; where do you attach the multimeter probes ? Anywhere on the chassis
Mikey914
I’ve been a victim of this. Mine started with the clutch cable stretching then snap.
fiacra
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 20 2020, 05:35 PM) *

Interesting ; where do you attach the multimeter probes ? Anywhere on the chassis

This was addressed in a recent thread, although with a slightly different flavor of this problem. Hope this helps.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=346626
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.