Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Rack Removal Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
I want to replace my steering rack with a nice rebuilt unit I got awhile back. All of the instructions I have seen say to disconnect the outer tie rods as part of the removal process. Question- can I just disconnect the inner tie rods, or will I not be able to get access to them, until the rack is out? My outer tie rods are relatively new and I don't want to bugger them up to do this job if possible? Input appreciated.

Ansbacher
'74 2.0L
914werke
Probably not what you want to hear but If I was going to that trouble Id replace with a Turbo tie rod kit.
euro911
You can remove old tie rods and install new tie rods with the rack installed, right? idea.gif
Mikey914
You can detach the outer tie rods for removal. Turbo tie rods can be installed, but if yours are newer I’d just focus on the rack portion for now.

Also note there is a lot of variation in 914 and 911 racks. Some are actually longer (and shorter). If this is the case you will definitely have to adjust the alignment. They are close but I’ve seen 3 different lengths not to mention other variations.

The removal part that you will probably struggle with is the top side. Do note there is a slot cut out of the rod to allow the bolt clearance. You will need that info later when you try to reinstall. As long as the bearing at the top is good you will not have to remove the tank. It may be possible to do so, I just haven’t tried that yet.
bdstone914
@Ansbacher
date='Jun 21 2020, 02:59 PM' post='2826947']
I want to replace my steering rack with a nice rebuilt unit I got awhile back. All of the instructions I have seen say to disconnect the outer tie rods as part of the removal process. Question- can I just disconnect the inner tie rods, or will I not be able to get access to them, until the rack is out? My outer tie rods are relatively new and I don't want to bugger them up to do this job if possible? Input appreciated.

Ansbacher
'74 2.0L
[/quote]
Clearance is tight to remove the inner tie rods end bolts that have a safety cotter pin. Easier to disconnect the outer tie rods and remove the whole rack.
Compare the height to the boss that takes the mounting bolt of the old and rebuilt racks. They changed around 1972 to reduce bump steer. The mounting bolts are different lenght.
If you are going with new tie rods the fastest way to remove the rack is cut the tie rod tube in the middle.
I have seen only one rack length of 914 rack.
The very early 911 racks were shorter and do not require the spacers in the turbo tie rod kit.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.