Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling the wiring experts...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nojoah
Hey guys,

Been going through the list of small jobs on the car and just crossed off fixing the odometer... lesson - I don't like small gears dry.gif Anyway, after reinstalling the cluster I accidentally hit the turn signal stalk and noticed that ALL the lights on the right side lit up and when switched the other way ALL the left side lights lit up as well. After further investigation it appears that the car is basically in "accessory" while the ignition is in the off position. The radio will turn on, and basic lights will work, but the headlights, and other electronics will not work blink.gif Also, the turn signals will hold a steady illumination and not blink. When the key is inserted and turned halfway between the "off" and "accessory" position though, the car will have no power as it's supposed to in the off position. At some point in the past the P.O. swapped the entire steering column and ignition assembly. The ignition does not appear to be the same as the original however... is there an early/late model column? Any guidance on the back ignition pins and their purpose would be helpful. Everything electrical works as it should when the car is running by the way.

Thanks.
74 2.0
Spoke
The turnsignals being on is a Euro feature when leaving the car double parked or something like that. BTW, the turnsignals (bright filament) are not on. The running lights (dim filament) are on.
Nojoah
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 21 2020, 10:07 PM) *

The turnsignals being on is a Euro feature when leaving the car double parked or something like that. BTW, the turnsignals (bright filament) are not on. The running lights (dim filament) are on.

So to get this straight, is the euro ignition different from a a us spec ignition? As in the P.O. replaced with a euro rack? It doesn't quite make sense to me why the radio would still have power?
framos914
Not sure that it's an ignition feature. My car has the left right parking light feature as stated above, used when parking on narrow European streets.
My radio can also be turned on without the ignition key because it's wired to an unswitched 12v circuit. Don't know if the correct way is to have switched or unswitched power.
Nojoah
QUOTE(framos914 @ Jun 21 2020, 10:51 PM) *

Not sure that it's an ignition feature. My car has the left right parking light feature as stated above, used when parking on narrow European streets.
My radio can also be turned on without the ignition key because it's wired to an unswitched 12v circuit. Don't know if the correct way is to have switched or unswitched power.

Hmm thanks for the input. I think I may not have been clear when I initially explained, but the lights will work on both the right and the left. This includes the front signal, marker, rear brake light and rear running light/marker.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Nojoah @ Jun 21 2020, 07:14 PM) *
So to get this straight, is the euro ignition different from a a us spec ignition? As in the P.O. replaced with a euro rack? It doesn't quite make sense to me why the radio would still have power?

There is no "euro" ignition. Spoke is correct that the running lights will be lit on whichever side the turn signal lever is moved to (with the key removed from the ignition).

This is common feature on all European manufactured cars of that area. It allows you to use them as parking lights when parked on a dark street without street lights.

Your problem (all lights on) sounds like someone screwed up the wiring.
shades.gif
Nojoah
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 21 2020, 11:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Nojoah @ Jun 21 2020, 07:14 PM) *

There is no "euro" ignition. Spoke is correct that the running lights will be lit on whichever side the turn signal lever is moved to (with the key removed from the ignition).

This is common feature on all European manufactured cars of that area. It allows you to use them as parking lights when parked on a dark street without street lights.

Your problem (all lights on) sounds like someone screwed up the wiring.
shades.gif

I don't want to keep repeating my question here, but I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around which lights should/shouldn't be on. So the front and rear running lights should be on, but the side marker and rear brake light should not be on correct? Thanks guys for the help by the way. I've done a fair amount of wiring but as a 17 year old I am certainly no professional.
framos914
Click to view attachment

It can be a little confusing.⁹
I was looking at wiring diagram.
There are two ways for parking lights to get power.

One way is through light switch (top of diagram pins 58L and 58R. This will turn on front and rear parking lights and side markers.

The other way is with key removed, light switch off and move turn signal left or right, it will turn on front and rear running lights (parking lights) plus front and rear and side markers for the corresponding side, no brake lights.
The power comes through the ignition switch when the key is removed. On diagram it's coming in at box 67 through switch E19 and down to running lights and side markers.
If your brake lights are coming on you've got a wiring issue, stop lights and rear running lights use same bulbs but different filaments and circuit power coming from brake pedal switch.
Hope this helps
Nojoah
QUOTE(framos914 @ Jun 22 2020, 12:59 AM) *

Click to view attachment

It can be a little confusing.
I was looking at wiring diagram.
There are two ways for parking lights to get power.

One way is through light switch (top of diagram pins 58L and 58R. This will turn on front and rear parking lights and side markers.

The other way is with key removed, light switch off and move turn signal left or right, it will turn on front and rear running lights (parking lights) plus front and rear and side markers for the corresponding side, no brake lights.
The power comes through the ignition switch when the key is removed. On diagram it's coming in at box 67 through switch E19 and down to running lights and side markers.

I really appreciate that, thank you for the diagram. I'll need to go double check whether or not I was actually seeing the brake light. I have a feeling all is normal and this is simply a feature I was unaware of. Thanks a lot for the help. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.