Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2056 spark plug gap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rat
Trying to tune my 914 that has been asleep in my climate controlled garage for 10 years. runs good in the upper rpm range but shitty at lower range. What gap should I use on NGK BR6ES plugs? 40 Dell's, Jacobs energy box, Bosch blue coil, C30 cam,Bosch SVDA Dizzy?
VaccaRabite
Start with 914 stock gap. Thats what I am using with my 2056.

ZAch
Rand
Which is....?

.7mm or .028 for a 2.0

But I seriously doubt spark plug gap is causing the symptoms.
Mark Henry
Did you clean the carbs?
914rat
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 22 2020, 10:58 AM) *

Did you clean the carbs?

Yes !
porschetub
Are you running vacuum off the carbs for the SVDA ?
914rat
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 22 2020, 11:45 AM) *

Are you running vacuum off the carbs for the SVDA ?

Yes to the right carb.
nditiz1
Could be the jets. Was it running great before and not now or never running smooth.

RPM range not to be confused with throttle pressure. At what RPM does it run smooth?

If it is throttle pressure that would be more so jets.
914rat
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jun 22 2020, 03:03 PM) *

Could be the jets. Was it running great before and not now or never running smooth.

RPM range not to be confused with throttle pressure. At what RPM does it run smooth?

If it is throttle pressure that would be more so jets.

From idle to 2200 it's a bit docile and rough and it loves throttle and rpm's over 2000.
It's a 914 with carbs I think the plugs in it are fouled so I bought new 1's thus the gap question. I was going to change them tonight and test drive but we are having storms. I don't drive it in the rain.
anderssj
After you do the plugs, check the idle jets. Dell idle jets tend to get blocked. Even a partial block on one idle jet will cause problems, especially in the RPM range you mentioned (up to 2200 or so).

One other thing I notice with my car (also with Dells) is that when summer get here, it starts running a little rich and I need to lean the idle mix out just a little, about 1/4 turn "in" on each of the idle adjustment screws (#62 in the picture). You'll see if you're running rich when you pull the old plugs.

Click to view attachment

(NOTE: 1/4 turn is approximate, once you're done be sure to check the color of the new plugs to make sure you don't end up too lean--YMMV, other standard disclaimers apply).

Air density decreases as temperature and humidity increase, so warmer weather is just like gaining altitude and a carb'ed car will run richer. The effect is most noticeable at low RPM (e.g. like when pulling away from a full stop, especially if going up a hill). On my car, the engine even sounds a little different--boggy/lopey, and kind of fat, like when it's up in the mountains.

Hope this helps!
rhodyguy
IIRC when using Jacob Ingnition items the spark gap is increased. Are you using Jacobs spark plug wires too? The back in the day jacob's ads made interesting claims.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 23 2020, 08:16 AM) *

IIRC when using Jacob Ingnition items the spark gap is increased. Are you using Jacobs spark plug wires too? The back in the day jacob's ads made interesting claims.

Yep, IMHO BS claims, like it could "sense" a combustion chamber flame out and could re-ignite the burn. Like other CDI's it delivers several pluses per firing to achieve this.
It's a CDI not much different than stock /6, MSD, crane, permatune etc.
I don't know if you can increase the gap with a blue coil, I know you can with a high power coil made for a CDI.
rhodyguy
'Cures all jetting problems'. Back when HotVws and dune buggies was still being published. Full page adds.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 23 2020, 10:16 AM) *

I don't know if you can increase the gap with a blue coil, I know you can with a high power coil made for a CDI.

I'd try an MSD coil, but if the magic smoke escapes I'll deny any knowledge of this post. Best to research before you do.
914rat
I am a 914 sucker I mean guy.
914rat
Plugs in gapped at 28. Helped some but the blast of Sea Foam in the drivers front venturi and the subsequent 6 in flame comimg out the rear venturi smoothed it out about 90%. I added Seafoam to the gas as a stabilizer. I will go around and check all the intake and exhaust for leaks. Maybe check the idle jets and take on a short 10 min ride.
Thanks for all the input it was both entertaining and helpful.
914rat
As for the Jacobs energy box. Should I keep it in the car or should I hook it up to my bug zapper ?
porschetub
What is your fuel pressure ? because you have fouled plugs I can only assume you have fuel bowl overspill,take one air cleaner off and see if the carb throat is wet when idling.
Did you clean out the pump nozzles ? and check float bowl heights ? the nozzles block very easily and cause raw fuel to drip out instead of a fine atomized spray or if totally blocked not work @ all and equal backfires.
Rebuilding carbs is a difficult job to do right,everything has to be spot on...period.
Don't forget to make sure your ignition system is 100%,NEVER try to tune carbs unless you have checked plug leads for example,if they look old replace them as they are cheap enough same applies to the rest of the system.
Have you checked the timing ?,good luck.
914rat
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 24 2020, 04:20 PM) *

What is your fuel pressure ? because you have fouled plugs I can only assume you have fuel bowl overspill,take one air cleaner off and see if the carb throat is wet when idling.
Did you clean out the pump nozzles ? and check float bowl heights ? the nozzles block very easily and cause raw fuel to drip out instead of a fine atomized spray or if totally blocked not work @ all and equal backfires.
Rebuilding carbs is a difficult job to do right,everything has to be spot on...period.
Don't forget to make sure your ignition system is 100%,NEVER try to tune carbs unless you have checked plug leads for example,if they look old replace them as they are cheap enough same applies to the rest of the system.
Have you checked the timing ?,good luck.

I have a fuel pressure regulator and a guage. The pressure is fine and it is in time.
I ran the car out of gas and suspect some trash got by the fuel filter or got left behind
when the carbs were cleaned. I am going to drive the car and work on all these
things to get that last little bit of tune resolved. It is very close now. Thanks for the input.
type2man
Turn it on and pull one plug wire at a time to see if one of the plug wires does NOT change the idle speed, then check that idle jet. Or just remove all the idle jets and clean them. Sometimes you clean them and they get more crud after a short drive so check them twice if need be.
rhodyguy
Lightly seating the idle air mixture screws one at a time will point to a fouled idle jet. The mixture screw(s) that has no effect on the idle is suspect. Had the tank been flushed/cleaned prior to running out of fuel?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.