Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New High Torque Replacement Starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
But wait you say, that starter has been used from 1973 on 911 engines. Very true, when Porsche went to the 2.4 engine they upped the starter from .8 hp to 1.5 hp. Well it seems Bosch has produced a completely new (different) replacement starter for the SR68X. The replacement produces the same 1.5 hp in a small compact package. The old starter weighs almost 16 lbs, the new one almost 9 lbs. Size wise it is like 3/4 scale of the original one. Plug and play replacement. The bad is they want your old heavy original starter for a core. Depending where you look core is $85 -$300 So take your shopping skills to the next level and see what you can find. Brand NEW a stupid price of $1,280. Rebuilt is all over the place from $250-$600 plus core chage.
Root_Werks
I know high-tq starters cost bucks and I'd be willing to pay for one....but $1200? Probably not. Still cool though!
Cairo94507
Jesus! Is the starter made our gold pressed latinum? I will be passing on that. I got a great hi-torque starter from Mike Mueller and it seems to work fine. Was no where near $1,200. beerchug.gif
914Sixer
Buy the rebuilt one like I did. Paid $251 plus $85 CORE.
jcd914
They are listed on Amazon at $310 with no core charge.

Jim
mepstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 22 2020, 07:22 PM) *

Buy the rebuilt one like I did. Paid $251 plus $85 CORE.

That seems very reasonable.
fixer34
I love the sticker "Do Not Strike with Hammer"
davep
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 22 2020, 05:04 PM) *

They are listed on Amazon at $310 with no core charge.

Jim

CAD672 on Amazon.ca
The price disparity is not explained by the current exchange rate.
ClayPerrine
When we first got the six from Rusty, I had to put a starter on it. So I ordered a NEW starter, having had bad luck with Bosch rebuilds. That is the starter I got when I expected the OEM six starter.

It spins the 2.0L six really fast!

I am still looking for an original starter to have rebuilt.

Clay
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 23 2020, 05:15 PM) *

When we first got the six from Rusty, I had to put a starter on it. So I ordered a NEW starter, having had bad luck with Bosch rebuilds. That is the starter I got when I expected the OEM six starter.

It spins the 2.0L six really fast!

I am still looking for an original starter to have rebuilt.

Clay

We kept a big box of starters and alternators at the shop for rebuilding. They always seemed to work better having them rebuilt by the local shop rather than buying remans. Less expensive as well.
aharder
I have an old starter up on the shelf that has been collecting dust for years.
It has the following Markings
BOSCH
GERMANY
IMPORTE B' ALLEMAGNE
0 001 212 002 0
EB <---- 12V 0.8 PS

Then on the other side it has

REMANUF CH 732

and

REMANUF CH 825

Is this one worth having rebuilt to a 1.5?

Anyone know of a shop in Texas I can send this heavy thing to?

914Sixer
.8 PS means it is an SR17X stock 914 starter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.