Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat Shield Mounting Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_7T3
Would like to confirm if the the heat shield above the muffler is bolted into the cross section of the rear trunk from underneath or is it welded in place?

Just learned I don't have one installed and the heat is baking my new paint in the trunk from underneath. Have one sourced already and will also be going with heat insulation matting for extra protection.
bdstone914
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jun 23 2020, 10:05 PM) *

Would like to confirm if the the heat shield above the muffler is bolted into the cross section of the rear trunk from underneath or is it welded in place?

Just learned I don't have one installed and its baking my new paint in the trunk from underneath. Have one sourced already and will also be going with heat insulation matting for extra protection.

As we discussed only the early 1970 cars had them bolted on.
I don't see how it can be rewelded with the limited access to the rear brackets on the shield
barefoot
For my 76, it was welded on. Since I replaced a portion of the rear trunk pan, mine is now SS pop riveted on.

Barefoot
aharder
My 75 is welded, I plan on using inserts to re-install once I remove and repair the trunk pan

mepstein
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 24 2020, 06:38 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jun 23 2020, 10:05 PM) *

Just learned I don't have one installed and its baking my new paint in the trunk from underneath. Have one sourced already and will also be going with heat insulation matting for extra protection.

As we discussed only the early 1970 cars had them bolted on.
I don't see how it can be rewelded with the limited access to the rear brackets on the shield

Turn it into a bolt on and then cover over the bolts with some seam sealer and undercoating.
davep
From what I have seen, all the 914/6 had them fastened by screws in the rear trunk, and the 914/4 were welded in place.
bkrantz
Bolt-in? Weld-in? Why not both?

My solution: weld in some simple brackets.
bkrantz
And then bolt on the heat shield.
914werke
I like it
zoomCat
As it turns out I was looking at this very thing today. I'm in the process of stripping the easily removed stuff prior to sending the car off for restoration. This car is a six, so the heat shield is attached with screws to the rear trunk floor, hidden under factory seam sealer. Here's one of them:

Click to view attachment

There are six of them, located here:

Click to view attachment

Here's a shot of the top side of the heat shield:

Click to view attachment

And a detail of the mounting hardware:

Click to view attachment

The shield is solid, but with surface rust, so it's going to the dippers prior to paint. I don't think I'll hide the fasteners under sealer when it goes back together, though.

Guy
FlacaProductions
Maybe instead of the shield - 1 or two of these?

https://www.rix914parts.com/store/p44/Heat_Sheild_Mat.html
ElCee
I have a 914/4 from May 1970.
My car has a heat shield attached with screws.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Not easy to get at but, it can be welded back in.

Click to view attachment
zoomCat
Interesting, the much clearer pictures of the /4 show a similar method of attachment but different locations. I wonder what the reason was?
914_7T3
Thanks for chiming in and the solutions are great. Embarrased to find out that the heat shield is indeed there as evidenced at the top of this photo from suspension swap Saturday.

Click to view attachment

Still can't figure out why the paint in the trunk has heat damage, however @Flacaproductions has it right as AASE Sales sells precut sections of that same heat insulating material from Thermal Products.

https://www.thermalcontrolproducts.com/our-.../zeroclearance/

The plan is to install that on the shield along with another section underneath the trunk mat. Ordered this sound dampening trunk mat material from Porsche Classic and will custom cut and run that. Of course its not original, but I still have my original mat if I ever show the car.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 24 2020, 10:59 AM) *

From what I have seen, all the 914/6 had them fastened by screws in the rear trunk, and the 914/4 were welded in place.

Early /4 cars had them screwed in as well ...
shades.gif
davep
Thanks Andy, I stand corrected. There are so few 70 or 71 914 in Canada. When did the detachable shield end?
rgalla9146
The 'screw in' early one is found in both 4 and 6 cylinder cars.
There are at least two .....maybe three weld in versions.
iankarr
My guess (and it's just a guess) is it might not be not heat damage that's messing with your paint. At least not directly. I had the same issue on my yellow car and it turned out there was a little oil / contamination still in the trunk when the paint was applied. As whatever oil got warm it spread and broke the adhesion.
Montreal914
Planning on installing my new trunk panel this weekend and have been thinking about what route I will use for the heat shield.

I like the @bkrantz option idea.gif

But first, I would appreciate a basic information. Can someone give me the distance from the back edge of the shield to the rear panel of the car?

Thank you! beerchug.gif

bkrantz's picture as reference.

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Welding a shield in is easy.
Mark where the brackets contact the trunk floor, drill holes in floor, then
plug weld to the brackets from the trunk side.
Grind to taste.
Montreal914
Sure, but I like the idea of being able to remove it.

But my main question is; what's the distance from the shield's back edge to the rear body panel?

smile.gif
bkrantz
Just over 1-1/2 inches, from inside the rear body panel (above the lip) to the trailing edge of the muffler heat shield.

BTW, I got hi-temp powder coating done on the shield.
rgalla9146
Beautiful.
Montreal914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 12 2021, 07:48 PM) *

Just over 1-1/2 inches, from inside the rear body panel (above the lip) to the trailing edge of the muffler heat shield.

BTW, I got hi-temp powder coating done on the shield.

Very nice smile.gif

Thank you for the info.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.