Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top Paint Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thunderchief
How hard/expensive is it to get the top painted body color? I'm taking my car in for paint next month and wanted to know what to expect. Thanks.
dt4
QUOTE(Thunderchief @ Jun 24 2020, 07:41 AM) *

How hard/expensive is it to get the top painted body color? I'm taking my car in for paint next month and wanted to know what to expect. Thanks.

Id be interested in the process, its something I considered but had concerns about how difficult it would be to get it dead level / smooth for painting
JOEPROPER
The top on my 75 is painted the color of the car and I want the opposite. At some point I'm going to try and make it look original black again... I guess it's personal preference, but I don't really like it.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Jun 24 2020, 04:24 AM) *

The top on my 75 is painted the color of the car and I want the opposite. At some point I'm going to try and make it look original black again... I guess it's personal preference, but I don't really like it.

Maybe trade with the OP, easier to change color on already painted top. If top is correct year for you.
Cairo94507
I agree with Mike. Put up a posting and see if someone wants an original finish top in exchange for their sanded/body color top. Or pick up a spare top and sand/paint that. Keep your original top original in the event you change your mind in the future and want to return to the original look.

My car had a sanded/body color top on it when I bought it. That was a modification a lot of people did back in the day. There may be a lot of them out there. beerchug.gif
JOEPROPER
These are probably expensive to ship but @thunderchief do you have a picture of your top? pm if you're interested. Oh and what year is your car? I think the split year was 74. not sure...
JamesM
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Jun 24 2020, 04:24 AM) *

agree.gif
I had one painted body color at my wifes request and im not a fan. Thankfully i have spare tops.
Steve
I have three tops. WAS top, black top and Alaska Blue top. Let me dig through my receipts and see if the body shop itemized the costs. My car had some rust and holes they had to fill due to the rear spoiler. Cost was $16k total from the body shop... I could of bought another car!!
brant
I painted the one on my street car about 20 years back. sanding down the texture caused the new paint to spider crack into the fiberglass annually. Its pretty easy to sand through the gel coat.

I repainted it 1-2 more times, before I broke down and took it to a commercial fiberglass manufacturer local.

they re- gel coated it. I painted it a 3rd time. and now its smooth

kinda a pain in the ass and not cheap after repeating everything 3x
Steve
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 24 2020, 07:52 AM) *

I have three tops. WAS top, black top and Alaska Blue top. Let me dig through my receipts and see if the body shop itemized the costs. My car had some rust and holes they had to fill due to the rear spoiler. Cost was $16k total from the body shop... I could of bought another car!!

My car has no vinyl sides, but has black rocker panels. I think the black top looks better. If the whole car is one color, then a painted top would look good. Aka 916
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.