Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CIS Gurus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
82 924. Driving to werk on Thurs. stop at a light, car shakes and dies. My initial guess is the coil crapped out. Today I go out to fix it. Coil fine. Gas bad!? Full tank, pump running, nothing up front. Question; has anyone seen a pump just suddenly, while driving, lose pressure? Like I said, it is running, but it sounds kinda weak. Question #2; when the accumulator fails, will it stop the fuel flow? I know how to jump the relay and all the other crap so no need to go through that. I am looking for experience with similar situations before I go dump 10 gallons of gas down my arm. No pressure tester here at home either sad.gif Gotta fix it, the suburban is KILLING me at 8 mpg. and 45 miles each way every day headbang.gif money on fire smiley here
Dr Evil
Check the filter. If your pump is running I would think that it is pumping unless it is singing a different tune. I am not sure about your accumulator question. Full open/closed? Try lifting the air flap in the air box and seeing if the pitch changes on the pump. Of course having a fuel pressure gauge would be the best, but these tests may shed some light on your problem. Also, you may be able to disconect the return fuel hose and put it in a fuel can to see if you are getting return fuel. If you have a blockage, you will know it by this test.
scotty b
Pulled injectors to test spray and I'm not getting ANY pressure in the regulator, which means no pressure on the flapper sad.gif which in turn means no return fuel. I'm beginning to hate this f'in car.It's great for a daily driver when it is right, but I seem to keep having trouble. Yeah I know it's 23 years old and everything I replace fixes THAT problem, I just can't get to my 944 or my dads 914 cause this pile of shart keeps crapping out.Then theres MY 914, and the CJ-7 and the suburban, and the Puma and the Manx, and the 356,and the.......................
ejm
A bad accumulator will cause a hot start problem, I have never seen a bad one cause an engine to stall.

With the pump running the injectors should spray when you lift the sensor plate...but only if you have enough fuel pressure. CIS injectors have a spring loaded pintle and take somewhere around 60 PSI to open IIRC. You could have a weak pump or a fuel pressure regulator stuck open will not allow pressure to build up. Pull the feed line off the fuel distributor and see what you have for flow/pressure. The pump show flow around 3/4 quart in 30 seconds. Deadhead pressure is over 80 psi. With no gauge handy you can squeeze the banjo between your fingers, if there is little pressure it will be apparent. Don't set anything on fire. wink.gif
scotty b
Way ahead of you Ed. I have NO NONE XIP fuel coming up front. Pulled the fuel fiter, turned on the ignition, pump running.....NO fuel. It is either the pump suddenly weakend, the accumulator suddenly went south, OR the vaccum line from the charcoal canister to the intake box that I just found disconnected wacko.gif Problem now is, I can't find the correct fuel filter localy, and the threads on the old one are to boogerd up to put back on. Does that vaccum line put pressure on the bottom side of the plate creating a pull on the fuel line? It is a large hose (almost 3/8") that connects to the intake box DIRECTLY underneath the throttle plate.
ejm
I would say its not the vacuum line or accumulator...sounds like you need a pump

Are you sure there is fuel in the tank..not just because the gauge says so..put a few gallons in so you know there is fuel
scotty b
QUOTE (ejm @ Jul 10 2005, 11:17 AM)
I would say its not the vacuum line or accumulator...sounds like you need a pump

Are you sure there is fuel in the tank..not just because the gauge says so..put a few gallons in so you know there is fuel

Positive. I filled it up on Tues and this morning the first thing I did was pull the line off to make sure. My right arm smells of the proof huh.gif I'm assuming at this point that the pump just magically lost pressure confused24.gif Like I said, I have the fuel filter off, and with the pump running I'm not getting ANY fuel to the front of the car, and the only thing between the pump and the filter is the accumulator. Pump just doesn't sound right either; I've just never seen a "weak" pump. My experiences have always been werks, or locked up. Plus the fact that it happend WHILE driving seems really odd. Cap'n can you hear me????????
ClayPerrine
IF the accumulator fails, it could be that the diaphram collapsed and blocked the outlet. I saw this happen one time years ago on a Audi 5000. The diaphram in the accumulator split and part of it laid across the outlet hole in inside it. Had absolutely no pressure at the fuel distributor even though the pump would run.

Try this, pull the hose from the pump to the accumulator and see if it pumps gas there. If it does, hook the inlet and outlet lines on the accumulator together and see if you have pressure at the fuel distributor. If you don't, it's the pump. If you do, it's the accumulator.

scotty b
As wierd as it may sound,thanks Clay. I just can't believe the pump was and is running but suddenly dropped pressure. I have never had any experience with an accumulator failing, even on cars that sat for several years. I'm going to take the car to werk one day this week and do what you said, and also check the pressure on the outgoing side of the pump (no gauge at home) Thanks to Mike and Ed also for your suggestions, and any one alse who chimes in with suggestions / experience. If I wrote in a hostile fashion earlier I apologize but I was/am getting really tired of this car taking up my spare time lately that is supposed to be spent on the 914 & 944. Two cars that are actually wurth the time laugh.gif ( yes I like my 944 so flipa.gif ) biggrin.gif
scotty b
Hey Mike, you'll be needing a nice around town car when you move to Pa. won't you??? I've got a great deal on an almost new 924 w00t.gif It probably will be all new by the time you get out here headbang.gif
ejm
Remove the little screw in the end of the accumulator...if the diaphram has failed in any way fuel will leak out

it may not be your lack of pressure problem...it just means you need an accumulator too sad.gif
jwalters
ohmy.gif sounds likie you got sugared.... flipa.gif Who did you piss off now?? Yack.gif

laugh.gif biatch

The way those pumps are made it is very possible the impeller ( gear ) lost its grip on the shaft. Some are pressed on, some are peened on, and some are pinned on. Not saying this is what happened, but your description of the pump sounding weird means one of two things. 1. Dead head pressure, meaning the thing is pumping its ass off with no-where for the fuel to go ( these pumps will easily exceed 200 psi when dead headed ) 2. The rotor has slipped from the shaft and there is no pressure / no resistance to the motor running wide open ( like when your vacuum cleaner belt breaks and the motor still runs yet it is really quiet ) you know where your vacuum cleaner is right?? it should be right where you parked it 10 years ago..... flipa.gif

laugh.gif beerchug.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (scotty b @ Jul 10 2005, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (ejm @ Jul 10 2005, 11:17 AM)

Positive. I filled it up on Tues and this morning the first thing I did was pull the line off to make sure. My right arm smells of the proof huh.gif I'm assuming at this point that the pump just magically lost pressure confused24.gif Like I said, I have the fuel filter off, and with the pump running I'm not getting ANY fuel to the front of the car, and the only thing between the pump and the filter is the accumulator. Pump just doesn't sound right either; I've just never seen a "weak" pump. My experiences have always been werks, or locked up. Plus the fact that it happend WHILE driving seems really odd. Cap'n can you hear me????????

i've had that happen to me....fuel pump changes pitch and fuel output changes. Mine dropped a whole 20 PSI between running good and running bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.