Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to start on a barn find 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
macnichol
I recently bought a 914 that is in pretty rough condition but has minimal rust. The p/o took the front calpers off, rears are still on, probably needs a rebuild. I haven't tested the electrical system yet but the p/o assured me that it was in working order, although the starter was on the way out. I haven't changed any of the fluids yet, I plan on doing that and the spark plugs. I'm quite new to 'teeners and this is my first project car actually, what are the bare essentials I need to check to get it to run?

Thanks guys, Miles
theer
Where to start... if the objective is to just to see if it runs (Cuz you have no brakes), then change the oil, drain the gas tank, replace fuel filter, new plugs (I would get new wires, too), refresh distributor (points, condenser, cap & rotor).

Check (replace With SS, really) plastic fuel lines running through the tunnel- these fail with age and can cause fires = bad.

Electrical: battery, check wires are good, clean up connections (incl grounds- make sure trans ground strap is present and connected).

Before you even try to start it, verify fuel pump is working, and injectors don’t leak (more fires). With new oil & filter and plugs out, turn the motor over by hand a few times. I would spray some fogging oil or Marvels Mystery Oil in the cylinders and let it sit before trying to turn over.

As a barn find, I’d be very surprised if it truly has no rust. Take off the lower coverings and poke around by the rear wheels and jack posts.

You’re likely going to need all new/rebuilt brake bits (master cylinder and all 4 calipers, rotors, pads, front wheel bearings while your in there).

Check out the vendors here for parts you need.

Tons of information here. Google is your friend for searches... just type “914World and your question.”

Good luck- you’ve come to the right place. Now we just need pictures of your car!!

KELTY360
welcome.png

There's only one place to start on a project like this........pictures.....we need pictures!
mepstein
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.