Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock 914 Axles strength?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trackd
How much torque can the stock 914 axles handle? The numbers seem all over the place.
brant
QUOTE(Trackd @ Jun 24 2020, 02:05 PM) *

How much torque can the stock 914 axles handle? The numbers seem all over the place.

its the transmission that is the weak link
200hp in hard use
250 if babied on the street

SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 24 2020, 01:26 PM) *

200hp in hard use

That's a good baseline but one can get around some of the 901 weaknesses.

I don't use 1st gear anymore, i take off in 2nd and i'm pushing 280 ftlb of torque.
You will need a stronger clutch for those kind of torque values. I also have slightly larger CVs (944) on (machined) stock axles.

I can lay down 20 feet of rubber (10" R250 slicks) without breaking anything ...
shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 24 2020, 04:26 PM) *

200hp in hard use

And the cv’s.
thelogo
I can lay down 20 feet of rubber (10" R250 slicks) without breaking anything ...
shades.gif

That does include your two front teeth ......
SirAndy
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 24 2020, 03:17 PM) *
shades.gif

That does include your two front teeth ......

Wut? confused24.gif
Krieger
Andy, I'm guessing you don't ignore anyone's posts lol-2.gif
Krieger
In terms of actual strength the 914 axle is the same diameter as the 944. Look up 944 power information and that will give you something to work with.
davep
Isn't the 914/6 axle a mm thicker as well? I know they are different in other ways.
Steve
I know my 930 axles are much thicker with my 915 trans with 108mm cv’s
Krieger
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 24 2020, 07:02 PM) *

Isn't the 914/6 axle a mm thicker as well? I know they are different in other ways.

I'm pretty sure the two axles are the same diameter. The spline count is different. 944 CV joints slide onto 914/4 axles. 911 cv joints will slide onto 914/6 axles. Other machine work is necessary for proper complete fitting. 911 and 944 cv joints are thicker than 914/4 or 6
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Trackd @ Jun 24 2020, 12:05 PM) *

All of it! smilie_pokal.gif
Andyrew
I ran about 375lbs of torque for a while. Broke a few CV's but most of them were old.

Nice new ones will handle a non flared car pretty good. Traction is what breaks them.

I swapped to 100mm's on my 1.8T setup.
stownsen914
I've been running stock 914 axles and CVs on my 914/6 racecar (260 hp, probably 200 ft-lbs torque, 12" wide slicks) for many years with no issues. I have bug CVs on it now since 914 ones weren't available when I finally replaced them.

Launches and inside wheel spin are two things that beat up axles.
Trackd
Thanks for the input guys. Here is what Im doing. It will be time trail/autox car. K24 w/ 986 5 speed. Planning on running oem axles w/ cv adapter for the inner. RSR Bilstein coilovers w/ 5 lug hubs. Hoping to make 240ish to that wheels which hopefully shouldnt be a problem.
Andyrew
You'll be fine till you throw a GT35R on it smile.gif

Those K's dont make much torque.

Becareful with that axle angle though. You seem to have it pushed forward a bit. Those flanges will pop off.

I would actually suggest running the CV adapter on the outside and running vw Bus 100mm axles on the inside. Your trans flange is already setup to receive 100mm axles.
type2man
Ive never broken an axle up until last year when I ripped 1st gear and tried to light the tires, broke a cv. The good thing is that you can start off with low end cv's and upgrade as they break. They are easy to upgrade.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Trackd @ Jun 25 2020, 08:43 AM) *

Thanks for the input guys. Here is what Im doing. It will be time trail/autox car. K24 w/ 986 5 speed. Planning on running oem axles w/ cv adapter for the inner. RSR Bilstein coilovers w/ 5 lug hubs. Hoping to make 240ish to that wheels which hopefully shouldnt be a problem.

Agree that you are probably fine because while those engines make hp, they don't make a lot of torque, and what they do make is pretty high in the rev range.

Funny thing is first thing I thought of when I saw your thread title was "I'd be more worried about the roll pins and bolts. I had a bunch of trouble with bolts and roll pins way back when.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.