Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal Flasher
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
So when I turn right, the flasher works properly, when I turn left, the first few blinks are good then both sides start flashing. The emergency light work properly.

The flasher relay does not fully seat in the socket. Do I have the right relay? Any reference where to buy a new one and correct part number.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
lierofox
I ended up using LEDs on mine so I ditched the stock and switched to the EP26 flasher, modified according to Spoke's tutorial.

https://www.spokeworksled.com/ep26-mod-dual-indicator - For early L+R dash indicator 914's

https://www.spokeworksled.com/ep26-mod-single-indicator - For later single dash indicator 914's

KSCarrera
QUOTE(Highland @ Jun 25 2020, 03:20 AM) *

So when I turn right, the flasher works properly, when I turn left, the first few blinks are good then both sides start flashing. The emergency light work properly.

The flasher relay does not fully seat in the socket. Do I have the right relay? Any reference where to buy a new one and correct part number.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Yes, that is the correct, factory-fitted relay.
914Sixer
Relay will NOT set all the way in the socket. You will have an air gap. Same with the rest of relays on fuse panel.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(lierofox @ Jun 24 2020, 11:53 PM) *

I ended up using LEDs on mine so I ditched the stock and switched to the EP26 flasher, modified according to Spoke's tutorial.

https://www.spokeworksled.com/ep26-mod-dual-indicator - For early L+R dash indicator 914's

https://www.spokeworksled.com/ep26-mod-single-indicator - For later single dash indicator 914's

The turn signals on a 73 or earlier 914 with incandescent bulbs has a feature that will cause both turn signal indicators to flash dimly if one of the bulbs is burned out on that side (or a bad ground can cause it). This is done by running one side of both bulbs back to a common connection on the turn signal switch.

Spoke's EP26 flasher mod allows you to use the wiring without any changes.

However, if you want to use a unmodified EP26 flasher, you can. Just pull the tach out of the dash, and disconnect the sockets from the turn signal wiring on the side that has a common connection. You can either ground that side of the factory socket, or do what I did and replace the bulb carrier with one used for the dash lights. The EP26 will work, and so will the dash lights. Just make sure to tie up the disconnected wires.

Clay
Highland
My car is a '73. The parking light works on both sides and the emergency lights work.

When I turn left both of my turn signal lights flash. I'm guessing it's a ground issue. I've checked the taillight, and gauge grounds and they are good (less than 1 ohm). Is there a specific ground wire I should be checking?
914Sixer
There is a ground crown back behind the fuse block. Two screws to drop it down.
Highland
Everything seems to be grounded. I even took out the emergency switch and cleaned the contacts there. According to the Haynes diagram if the relay is bad both left and right would malfunction. The voltages at the emergency switch alternate between 0 to 9V when I activate the turn signal.

Any ideas? Should I just replace the relay and emergency switch?
Spoke
QUOTE(Highland @ Jun 24 2020, 10:20 PM) *

The left and right blinkers use the flasher relay in the same way. If you see a difference of the tachometer indicators between left and right blinking, then likely there is a minute difference in wiring to the exterior bulbs or the wattages of the external lamps are different.

The both indicators flashing is a common characteristic of the secondary relay in the flasher losing its efficiency. You can get another OEM flasher relay or go with a modified EP26 as mentioned earlier. I resell EP26 already modified. With the EP26 you can then change to LED turnsignals without issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.