Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the fastest anyone has gone in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Matty900
The 916 was to be the fastest production car that Porsche had produced to that time. The body is notably modified. So I am curious idea.gif what the fastest 914-s look like. What have you done to your car?
Root_Werks
A 914-6 conversion I had back in....1992 I think read 150mph on the speedo. I doubt that was accurate and it was probably more a true 135mph-ish. It had a 2.4 six.
rgalla9146
a well known New Jersey racer went fast enough to blow the windshield trim off the car.
20 + years ago. Pretty fast for a brick.
SirAndy
I've topped out at right about 135mph (stock 901 and close to stock tire diameter) which is right where the top limit should be using stock gears and tire diameter.
Lower profile/radius tires/wheels will reduce that top speed.

So really, all that additional power i have is just good for getting me to the top speed faster.
biggrin.gif
davep
See if Dr. Ferdinand Piech recorded what speeds he attained on the autobahn with 914111.
second wind
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 25 2020, 04:20 PM) *

a well known New Jersey racer went fast enough to blow the windshield trim off the car.
20 + years ago. Pretty fast for a brick.

I was going near 100 in my 914/6 in the mountains above Boulder Colorado while in college and the wind helped blow my windshield trim off. Winds hit 100mph + on the Boulder area.
gg
horizontally-opposed
Silver State Classic cars are probably the fastest 914s I know of. Also the Von K car?

I know a number of them have been well over 150 at Big Willow, and I think one was over 150 cornering?

Ron Mistak's center-seat 914 also comes to mind, but that was hardly recognizable as a 914 with its GT1-style body.

Then there are some turbo-V8 cars that have to be good for 170+?
tvdinnerbythepool
73 MDB2.gif
tygaboy
Tony @Cracker has track video of nearly 170 in his. Granted, it's got an LS7 and Boxster S trans and brakes. Does that still count as being a 914? happy11.gif
Andyrew
I plan to do an airport mil some day...

I've done 150 a couple times but who knows if that was accurate. I've done middle of 4th a few times in my current engine setup which was about 135-140. It would probably do 160+ as it sits with 300whp pretty easy.

I have a goal to do 190 in the standing mile someday.
Cairo94507
I think Tony's car, @cracker , is the fastest 914 I have heard of. Chris' car is going to be one for the record books too. I can't imagine what Matty's, @mattylite , Porsche V-8 engined car is going to be like. I hope to be there if he attempts to reach a top speed, on a track of course. Can you imagine Tony and Chris' car on the track together. I know there are quite a few LS motors in 914's but I am really only familiar with those two. popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 25 2020, 08:28 PM) *

I think Tony's car, @cracker , is the fastest 914 I have heard of. Chris' car is going to be one for the record books too. I can't imagine what Matty's Porsche V-8 engined car is going to be like. I hope to be there if he attempts to reach a top speed, on a track of course. Can you imagine Tony and Chris' car on the track together. I know there are quite a few LS motors in 914's but I am really only familiar with those two. popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif

I was thinking Tony's car as well. He did Octeenerfest so it's a street/track car.
Andyrew
I'm thinking the Rod Simpson twin turbo red car was the fastest claimed car but that was some 35 years ago (hot rod magazine cover.. 180+ iirc).

Modern day I agree Tony's car is the fastest Ive heard of.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 25 2020, 04:46 PM) *

Silver State Classic cars are probably the fastest 914s I know of. Also the Von K car?

I know a number of them have been well over 150 at Big Willow, and I think this one was over 150 in a corner.

Ron Mistak's center-seat 914 also comes to mind, but that was hardly recognizable as a 914 with its GT1-style body.

Then there are some turbo-V8 cars that have to be good for 170+?

pete

I think Carl's car did 170 in the 150 average class. 944 Turbo clone nose and a sloped back windshield. Worked for him because he was short. I think the engine was a built 3.0L
wndsrfr
OK, I'll bite....here's Kermee at Daytona clocking 153 on my GPS...watch the American Flag showing the nice tailwind down from turn 4 to the tri-oval start/finish line...I pointed at the buried 150mph speedo at about 1:06 in the clip....
Pump up the volume & enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsRVmnX09c

Oh yeah...here's the body configuration....Click to view attachment
SO.O.C914er
My number is not that impressive 102 on the 405 fwy in OC. Would like to push it to the limit but don’t want the replacement $$$$ if she signs off......drive on Paul. driving.gif confused24.gif
bdstone914
I find Gus was clocked at 145 my the Mexican police on a Baja rallay.
type2man
I did about 110-115 in my 74 with a 2.0 45 dells, cam and headers. Gets a little hairy at that speed
914e
Does anyone know what #40 was able to hit at Le Mans?

I have only had my 914 up to a blistering 35mph around the block a few times before I took it apart. Considering the condition of the brakes at the time, that was about 34 mph too fast.

bkrantz
I can't remember the actual speeds, but I remember running out of revs in 4th gear and getting into 5th on the front oval at TWS, racing my IT 914 (slightly modified suspension but stock 2.0). I did build this awesome air dam for the front.
porschetub
QUOTE(914e @ Jun 26 2020, 02:57 PM) *

Does anyone know what #40 was able to hit at Le Mans?

I have only had my 914 up to a blistering 35mph around the block a few times before I took it apart. Considering the condition of the brakes at the time, that was about 34 mph too fast.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif ,after getting my 6 in I did 100mph fairly easily then ran out of road,felt great.
I guess Glen or Marty could chime in with the top speed of the 914/6 GT Lemans cars,would be interested to know also ?
Optimusglen
Good discussion guys! I dont think I've had mine over 75, haha.
cali914
hum my cousins car has to be one of the fastest 914s. he had a nascar SB2 878hp engine in his and he would pull the 911 turbos. bob stopanovich and joe wong in his GT2 on the straights. i will find out how fast he clocked on the straight at T Hill.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(cali914 @ Jun 25 2020, 10:00 PM) *

hum my cousins car has to be one of the fastest 914s. he had a nascar SB2 878hp engine in his and he would pull the 911 turbos. bob stopanovich and joe wong in his GT2 on the straights. i will find out how fast he clocked on the straight at T Hill.

Now I am curious about this.

Stock 996 GT2 was 135 mph indicated on the way into Turn 1 at TH on a crisp cold day with a pro driving back in 2002, 130 with me.

Stock 991.2 Turbo was 145 mph into Turn 1 at TH a couple of years ago on a 106~ F afternoon with me driving. Oh yeah: it was a Cabriolet with an automatic transmission and heated & cooled seats. blink.gif

But Wong and Bob were both very, very quick and know TH well. Curious what that 914 was seeing if it was pulling them on the straight. Now wondering what the fastest trap speed on that straight is. @SirAndy , do you know?

RiqueMar
135moh in a with a 3.6 out of a C2 and a Wevo trans. I remember thinking I could’ve gotten higher... right before I got pulled over.

I don’t think 150 is out of reach at all, given the right conditions. Safety first!
Carbon-14
Click to view attachment

https://youtu.be/e-PFfwxR3SQ?t=1326
Huge difference that Carl and co. achieved with a few effective aero devices.
Surely, someone has, in the past 31 years, gone faster in a 914 in that road race, or any other.
Carl's ' Porschaus 914-6 ' had set the standard with the run through the canyons, and a radar trap speed of 175. Tremendous legacy if their record still stands.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...2522&st=296
Rav914
I hit the 100mph number briefly. 1911cc motor with FI. Only exterior mod is the LE front spoiler.

I think I could have pushed it a little more....
mgp4591
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 25 2020, 06:18 PM) *

Tony @Cracker has track video of nearly 170 in his. Granted, it's got an LS7 and Boxster S trans and brakes. Does that still count as being a 914? happy11.gif

And it's not just the 170 top speed that's fun... the acceleration is BRUTAL!! driving.gif w00t.gif
sb914
135 in my v8 .started to “get light” in the front end, I got scared and backed off .
campbellcj
Likewise, I run out of revs (gears) around 135 which is plenty fast in any 914 lacking extensive aero.

I imagine Roger Sheridan's "hippie" car which is barely a 914 at all, cooks pretty well around Turn 8 at Willow... I saw it run a number of times but unsure of times/speeds
ChrisFoley
I stood next to a 914-V8 going 180 on a Dynojet roller.
Nick Ventura's "batmobile" has to be about the fastest 914 track car, pushed by a 956 motor.
bdstone914
It will be interesting to see how fast Marty's 1,000 hp twin turbo Cayenne power 914 will go.
Jett
Coming out of Portland going downhill we got a ticket in our 73 1.7 doing 91mph...
enikolayev
I can confirm a stock 1.7 with Webers and no valances (and a burned intake valve on #1) tops out at 95, measured with GPS.
sixnotfour
There is a pic. here of one of Ralph Meaneys 914-6..Plaqared says 170 top speed ,,Daytona , I think.
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 25 2020, 10:35 PM) *
But Wong and Bob were both very, very quick and know TH well. Curious what that 914 was seeing if it was pulling them on the straight. Now wondering what the fastest trap speed on that straight is.
@SirAndy , do you know?

No, i do not know.
idea.gif
SirAndy
And just to reiterate a point i was trying to make earlier:

More horsepower does not change your top speed, it just gets you there faster

Your (potential) top speed is a combination of the max. rpm of your engine plus your transmission gearing plus your wheel/tire diameter.
shades.gif
iamchappy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 26 2020, 12:21 PM) *

There is a pic. here of one of Ralph Meaneys 914-6..Plaqared says 170 top speed ,,Daytona , I think.

170 is what Ralph Meaney told us.
iamchappy
Don't know, but shut it down when i hit the rev limiter at 7000 rpm in 5th.
thelogo
91 mph on the 91 frwy for me wub.gif

Any thing faster then that " otta have a damn stewardess on it .... Dont cha think"
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 26 2020, 10:54 AM) *

Your (potential) top speed is a combination of the max. rpm of your engine plus your transmission gearing plus your wheel/tire diameter.
shades.gif

That's not entirely true. An under powered car may not be able to ever see redline in 5th gear due to wind resistance, no?
thelogo
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jun 25 2020, 06:13 PM) *

OK, I'll bite....here's Kermee at Daytona clocking 153 on my GPS...watch the American Flag showing the nice tailwind down from turn 4 to the tri-oval start/finish line...I pointed at the buried 150mph speedo at about 1:06 in the clip....
Pump up the volume & enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsRVmnX09c

Oh yeah...here's the body configuration....Click to view attachment

Impressive driving . great hand coordination at that speed . .... About how far ahead are you looking ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Jun 26 2020, 12:17 PM) *

shades.gif

That's not entirely true. An under powered car may not be able to ever see redline in 5th gear due to wind resistance, no?

Did you miss the (potential) in my comment?
confused24.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 26 2020, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Jun 26 2020, 12:17 PM) *

shades.gif

Did you miss the (potential) in my comment?
confused24.gif

Intresting about the max rpm contributing to speed .
I always thought formula 1 cars rev ed to 12 k rpm
Because it sounds really cool .

But i could see how that is a big advantage if you wanna go really fast
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
mmichalik
My Daughter and I got the '74 2.0 up to 100mph (according to the speedo) a few weeks ago, with room to go but, I backed off because I wasn't sure how much longer we had before the wheels would come off. smile.gif
It was fun though, and felt very stable
brant
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 26 2020, 11:54 AM) *

shades.gif

agreed...
ultimately a top speed car would need different gearing (higher)
or different wheels/ring and pinion (all gearing)
to go faster than a stock 5th gear at redline.

not the fastest 914 ever.
but a funny story from 20 years ago
my mechanic has an ex- IMSA 914/6 with real history
the car has a plexi-glass windshield in it.

My friend asked for a ride, and was in the passenger seat
at one of our local tracks, the front straight is a 1/4 mile drag strip and then another 1/4 mile of track where the dragsters coast down from speed.

my friend is in the passenger seat and at 150mph the front windshield flexes or bows inward due to wind resistance. It is a loud "Pop" or bang when this happens..... then at the end of straight... you hit the brakes.. it flexes back to original position and "Pops" out again.

they came in and my friend needed new shorts
scarred the crap out of her.

brant
sixnotfour
That's Awesome .. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
I hit 120 with my teen when I first got it, car was stock 1.8, down a huge hill with a tailwind, totally unsorted, on dry rot tires and scary as shit.
Today before I knew it I hit 110 on the freeway on ramp, total solid, could have gone faster, my 3.0 /6 had lots of go left in her, but I was like "Holy crap! Better slow down! I'm going to get a ticket!"
rgalla9146
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 26 2020, 04:14 PM) *

beerchug.gif

the sign says 'top speed 170'...... that's cookin'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.