Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
framos914
looking for a little advice.
Just removed my front suspension because everything is at least 38 years old.
I believe it's mostly from a 76 911 including the sway bar. Also S calipers, 5 lug and struts. I want to get a good look at the rack and install Turbo Tie Rods and already have new Koni strut inserts installed.
Not sure if I want to tackle the bushings and ball joints myself since I don't have the right tools and equipment.
Any suggestions? Is it a good Idea to keep this set up and refresh it?
Any recommended places for the work? Corona, Anaheim CA area.

ThanksClick to view attachment
barefoot
Clean that whole bit up & paint it some distinctive color relative to under pan color.
At least replace the rear A-arm bushings, there's videos on how to do it without expensive tools. The rear bushings collapse somewhat as most of the weight of the car rests on those rear bushings and once deformed let the torsion bar rub inside the metal tube causing corrosion and eventual stress corrosion fracture.
Retroracer
RE: "Not sure if I want to tackle the bushings and ball joints since I don't have the right tools and equipment.
Any suggestions? Is it a good Idea to keep this set up and refresh it?"

It's a great set up. While you have everything off the car, its a great opportunity to get everything cleaned up and yes, worthwhile getting the ball joints and bushings replaced. Murphy's law clearly states that if you reassemble them as is, they will fail the week after.

- Tony
mlindner
framos914, take it all apart, clean, paint and replace bushing. Lots of fun.....
The rubber bushing come out easy with a torch and the ball joint you only need the large type socket (I have one I can send you to use). Best, Mark
mlindner
PS. you've already done the hard part, the rest is fun and fulfilling.
mlindner
Can you tell I have nothing to do. Does this look familiar and then nice clean parts to put together.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
framos914
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jun 27 2020, 12:44 PM) *

Can you tell I have nothing to do. Does this look familiar and then nice clean parts to put together.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Wow, looks like I'm heading in the same direction, pulling the Rack will be next. Did you have any trouble detaching it from steering coupler inside the car and pulling it out?
Thanks Mark for the offer on the tool, I see them from 80 to 120 bucks, will see if I can locate one locally.
All that work looks good
Fernando
mlindner
My tank was already out, not sure if you can unbolt with it in. I can send the rut/socket to you, you send it back for $5. Mark
framos914
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jun 27 2020, 02:27 PM) *

My tank was already out, not sure if you can unbolt with it in. I can send the rut/socket to you, you send it back for $5. Mark

Mark
Those parts look very good. Are they painted or powder coated? If powder coated what is the average cost? And any suggestions on preparation or mistakes to avoid. What manufacturer of ball joints did you use? A lot of choices outhere.Click to view attachment
Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.