Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jumper relay board T4b fuel injection port
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
So I'm going through the electronics and fixing things that are not working or might be wrong and I came across this jumper in the relay board. This has been converted to carbs but the fuel pump was directly hooked to the positive side of the coil - will change that. Is there a reason to jumper the FI ports on the relay board?

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
you have carbs ..yes
Spoke
I've seen this connection before. It will work but it is a really weird setup. What you have connected is labeled as pins III and IV going to the fuel injection system which is removed when running carbs.

Pin III is the fuel pump relay and normally for carbs pin III is connected to ground to turn the fuel pump relay on any time the ignition key is in the RUN or START position.

Pin IV is the starter bendix pin and the voltage on it is zero when the key is in the RUN position and is 12V when the key is in the START position.

With pins III and IV tied together, the fuel pump relay gets its "ground" voltage through the bendix of the starter when the bendix is not powered. This happens with the key in the RUN position. However, when the key is in the START position, the bendix is powered and the starter is spinning, pin IV is 12V and the fuel pump relay is turned off as the starter is spinning the engine. When the key is moved from START to RUN then the fuel pump turns back on.

The correct connection here is to ground pin III to a local chassis ground stud like the one behind the relay board. Pin III is the leftmost pin on that connector in the above picture.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 27 2020, 10:09 AM) *
The correct connection here is to ground pin III to a local chassis ground stud like the one behind the relay board. Pin III is the leftmost pin on that connector in the above picture.

http://www.914world.com/specs/SirAndyCarbFuelPumpRelay.php

bye1.gif
rhodyguy
Plus, if the stock pump harness is functional there's no need for additional wires. Like pulling pump power off the coil. Very bad plan. I learned the hard way. Aftermarket pumps can require alteration of the pump end of their harnesses. Save the stock end.
nditiz1
I feel like they did this mod and then totally went away from it by going directly to the pos side of the coil.

So if I remove this and then ground pin 3 to the chassis, @SirAndy (I was already following your guidance in the link you posted beerchug.gif ) then I should hook in the hot wire from the pump (previously coil) into one of the two 14 pin connector sports? OR should i be locating the stock fuel pump wire in the wiring harness and connecting it to that as @rhodyguy suggested?
Spoke
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jun 27 2020, 02:54 PM) *

I feel like they did this mod and then totally went away from it by going directly to the pos side of the coil.

So if I remove this and then ground pin 3 to the chassis, @SirAndy (I was already following your guidance in the link you posted beerchug.gif ) then I should hook in the hot wire from the pump (previously coil) into one of the two 14 pin connector sports? OR should i be locating the stock fuel pump wire in the wiring harness and connecting it to that as @rhodyguy suggested?

Pin 13 on the relay board connector going towards the cabin is where the fuel pump picks up power. The 25A fuse protects the fuel pump wiring from damage in case of a short circuit.

nditiz1

Pin 13 on the relay board connector going towards the cabin is where the fuel pump picks up power. The 25A fuse protects the fuel pump wiring from damage in case of a short circuit.

Thanks Spoke. Looks like someone jumped off the B/R wire once before as there is an aftermarket connector near the 14 pin connector. I need to find where the B/R wire would normally terminate. It should be where the new Carb fuel pump is at correct? OR did the factory move the pump up underneath the tank in 74?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.