Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jacking Point
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
Is this spot ok to put a floor jack to lift the whole back end at once?
tat2dphreak
if you are pointing to the engine bar, yes... go for it!
Allan
I wish I could get my floor jack that far under the car. Life would be alot easier.....
SLITS
So this was discussed in a thread not to long ago....us barbarians jack the backend up via the tranny housing. I use a floor jack and wooden block and place it where it doesn't catch the clutch roller assembly. Haven't broken tranny ears yet.
smooth_eddy
I wish I could get my floor jack that far under the car. Life would be alot easier.....

Well in order for me to get there and operate the jack pump handle, I have to drive the car up on ramps first. Luckily I can do that. Thanks, Eddy
rick 918-S
The engine bar is designed to support the weight of the engine not the other way around. It will bend. The other issue is the mounting pointa for the engine bar are not designed fir that kind of force. I made a cross bar that goes under the trailing arms at the axle end side.
Olympic 914
Holy Necro-thread Batman....

mlindner
I would borrow another jack, one on each side. Put a 2 x6 across on each side from the donut to the engine support mount. Jack both up at the same time. works great with no stress on car. Best, Mark
KELTY360
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 10 2005, 10:36 AM) *

So this was discussed in a thread not to long ago....us barbarians jack the backend up via the tranny housing. I use a floor jack and wooden block and place it where it doesn't catch the clutch roller assembly. Haven't broken tranny ears yet.

agree.gif
It was always more fun to disagree with him but Slits knew his stuff. Miss that guy. beerchug.gif
Frankvw
@rick 918-S
" I made a cross bar that goes under the trailing arms at the axle end side."

Do you have a picture of that home-made tool ? Interesting to see !
Thanks !
rick 918-S
No picture. I am moving soon. Maybe if I lay hands onc it while packing I can add a photo.
rgalla9146

Lay two 16" 2 x 6s flat on the floor in front or behind the rear tires.
Drive or roll onto them. Need more clearance ? Add another length of 2 x 6 on
top of the first. Stagger them to ease the roll onto the second level.
Put the jack under the cast iron cross bar. You'll get plenty of lift with the jack there.
Use sturdy jackstands.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.