Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Baumgardner
Attached is a picture of the back of the center console in an early '72 914... It's actually in decent shape, except the covering over the foam on the back has been flaking off. In fact, the rest pulls off pretty easily. Was thinking of using some type of an acrylic paint on it? Or something like Plasti Dip or Flex seal spray? Anybody try something that worked well? Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Use Flex seal. I just want to know how it turns out. Besides then it will float
bbrock
Flex Seal is good stuff and I'm sure would work if you can get the foam clean enough to stick, but it lays down with a very heavy orange peel texture. For that reason, I'd be inclined to try Plasti Dip spray instead.
Baumgardner
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 28 2020, 02:47 PM) *

Flex Seal is good stuff and I'm sure would work if you can get the foam clean enough to stick, but it lays down with a very heavy orange peel texture. For that reason, I'd be inclined to try Plasti Dip spray instead.

I went back and forth about the Plasti Dip Spray (some said don't use the spray as it will disintegrate the foam. In the end, I was worried either Plastic Dip or Flex Seal might just result in a bigger mess. Then I thought about a thin vinyl (too difficult to work with) or a trunk liner, but finally decided that a piece of felt (from Michael's) and a strong adhesive might be the safest bet. If I messed up, I could probably get it back off. Anyway, I'm happy with this result... Not too difficult. It's not like this is ever really visible, but at least it should halt the disintegration.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
Nice! thumb3d.gif
BillC
Very nice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.