Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cooling fan installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I have 3 fans. 1 has all it's fins. 1 is missing one and has a bent one and the 3rd is missing 4 fins.

So I install the best one. It has the raised center with the plastic cap and requires allen head bolts to attach to the hub. So I got the fan attached to the hub on the crank. I can see that 2 of the fan shroud studs are hitting the fan, but the engine still rotates by hand.

So I got my fan housing and mounted it. Then attached the fan. It seems that the back of the fan is WEDGED against the inside of the shroud. Once the fan bolts are tightened I can't turn the engine by hand.

In case I was missing something, I checked AA. #3 is a SPACER. Is this the purpose of the spacer? To pull the fan out a bit.... Damn, just another part that could be somewhere in my stash. CRAP.

I seriously do not remember that part. Anyone have any pictures?

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
Double post
porschetub
The spacer is there to pack the bolts out,fit the wrong length bolts and you will destroy the front case seal,I think the fan jams up without the spacer even with the correct bolts.
Make sure you have the correct fan,the bus one is different,you can use them but you have to remark "0" tdc and 27 degree marks.
Good luck
ClayPerrine
A lot of 914s had the spacer removed when they installed the AC compressor drive pulley for the dealer installed AC. If you have the pulley, just install it without the compressor mount. It will take up the space and your fan will turn correctly.

And I agree about the bolts. Make sure they are the right length. You can really damage both the seal and the metal around it with too long of bolts.

malcolm2
Bolts were good. 8m x 35 iirc. The other fan’s bolts, without the center cap are 45 long.

i can see the bolt tips are clear when i attach the fan without the shroud attached. I might have an AC pulley. I gave all the AC stuff away, but I swear I thought I saw that the other day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.