Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recovering horizontal targa trim piece ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Anyone done this with good result ? made a start but any extra advice is always welcome ,TIA
Mikey914
The factory used a leatherette.
We will however have these by the end of summer in the correct grain
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 28 2020, 12:05 PM) *

Thanks ,mine including the upright trims were redone in very thin leather ,my guy said it is very hard to find but he could get it made,currently using vinyl which is less than 1mm thick,getting there but its a very complex shape to recover and I don't want sewn pieces.
The current offering is less than suitable and really has no grain,surely a poor match for the upright trim pieces because it has bedliner texture rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif .
porschetub
Part of the the way there ,the ends are hard.
Click to view attachment.
More to report when I do more in the next few days .
porschetub
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 29 2020, 06:17 PM) *

Part of the the way there ,the ends are hard.
Click to view attachment.
More to report when I do more in the next few days .

Got no replys as this wasn't easy didn't expect any really,so just forged on using heatgun and trying to train the vinyl,it was a mission but rates an 8 in my book finished. When you heat vinyl it shrinks to a point with heat but with increase the heat it can be stretched,after that it can burn.
Found when I repaired the centre crack in the trim I could have done better.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Overall a good result to a part that was real crappy.
dt4
well done, that came out looking good
I need the same part so knowing a poor one can be made good is great to see
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 27 2020, 08:05 PM) *

Mark, will you also have the small vertical pieces on each side in rear? and how about the A-pillar trims? really could use these, it would finally complete my interior

@Mikey914
Mikey914
We had not planned to make them as the cost would make them more that what you can find used for. If I'm wrong and there isn't an ample supply we would make them.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 6 2020, 11:17 AM) *

We had not planned to make them as the cost would make them more that what you can find used for. If I'm wrong and there isn't an ample supply we would make them.

plenty of used ones yes but most are worth a sh**, i have multriple sets all bought used supposedly in “good condition” and they look even worse one you put in a new dash new back pad new doors and seats, would be nice to have a matching set both up the a pillar and rear vertical trim pieces to go with everything else.

i guess my only option is to buy the recover kits that are made by the UK company, custom made with your choice of color stitching.

sure we can get by the hey seen as bad as the dashes but certainly do stick out compared to the other nice parts.
put me at the top of the list of you change your mind.
Mikey914
I may be able to supply a DIY repair kit easily. I'll let the cat out of the bag, we are close on the roll bar pads. So as soon as they are done I will look at these.
Mark
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 7 2020, 05:12 AM) *

I may be able to supply a DIY repair kit easily. I'll let the cat out of the bag, we are close on the roll bar pads. So as soon as they are done I will look at these.
Mark

Close? evilgrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 7 2020, 04:12 AM) *

Mark

beerchug.gif sounds good!
PanelBilly
Mark found someone to do mine MANY years ago. It looks great but the was slightly oversize. It was a challenge to make it fit, but once in place was perfect
porschetub
QUOTE(dt4 @ Jul 6 2020, 07:22 PM) *

well done, that came out looking good
I need the same part so knowing a poor one can be made good is great to see

Thanks,was a bit of work and had to peel back some area's to work out creases in the vinyl ,a hairdryer is better but don't have one rolleyes.gif ,heatgun is tricky...one slip and its all over.
You have retrimmed your dash and done a great job ,this retrim is somewhat harder but you will be fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.