Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So the wife has decided she wants a pink 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
Yes,
Pink. Bubblegum to be exact. So I can't see stripping down one of my cars to do this, but if she's in I know she will be much more understanding when I want to do upgrades. SO I'm thinking yes. I'm more of a stock kid of guy, maybe bigger engine and some tasteful performance and handing upgrades, but the pink thing will be it's own animal. I'll keep ya'll posted as this progresses piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 27 2020, 08:44 PM) *

Yes,
Pink. Bubblegum to be exact. So I can't see stripping down one of my cars to do this, but if she's in I know she will be much more understanding when I want to do upgrades. SO I'm thinking yes. I'm more of a stock kid of guy, maybe bigger engine and some tasteful performance and handing upgrades, but the pink thing will be it's own animal. I'll keep ya'll posted as this progresses piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

I thought everyone wanted the strawberry
Color .... I know i would
. rarest of all colors
Matty900
Maybe you can get poke.gif @Kansas 914 to sell you his pink 914
FlacaProductions
This would have been perfect....
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2372746
mlindner
You could do a nice pink vinyl rap.
Cairo94507
I would vinyl wrap the exterior pink. I would not paint a complete 914 pink. I understand your dilemma. beerchug.gif
theer
Or, you can always mimic “die Sau” butcher cuts design Porsche has used on their race cars over the years.
mepstein
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jun 28 2020, 07:48 AM) *

You could do a nice pink vinyl rap.

agree.gif
Mikey914
The Die Sau was ruled out, she wants a bubblegum pink.
Your gonna love this too. The seats she wants pink and white cow print. At least I know guy dry.gif
She's thinking it would be an awesome autocross car.

Hey, if she's into it. I'll help make that happen
Betty
Speaking as a person of the female persuasion... I don't understand some of the posts sometimes. I've read complaints such as "I can't get a kitchen pass" or “now I've gotta figure out how to hide the new parts from the other half" etc.

Somebody says "the wife has decided she wants a pink 914" and some of the responses are put a pink wrap on the car?!?!?! A significant other expressed a desire to be included (in a big way) in the 914 obsession and some of the responses are to not jump in with both feet and show them how happy it makes you that they're interested in coming over to your 'Dark Side'? When your significant other says they want to participate, you don't immediately start off implying you don't believe them or you think they'll change their mind later... "lets make it reversible, just in case" (a la wrapping the car instead of painting it).

They might not have an opinion at this point other than "I want one in pink" (maybe because they don't understand all of the choices they will be presented with, or maybe they truly don't care what engine is in it) but if you jump in and commit and continue to keep them involved in "THEIR car" by presenting them with choices for THEM to make throughout the process - you're going to end up with a significant other that feels involved and personally invested in what is now BOTH of your interest. They will also continue to feel involved when they’re able to talk about THEIR car at a 914 event beyond "well, I picked out the body color but that's all I did".

How about instead, that first response being something along the lines of "I've never thought about having a pink car ... but it sounds like it would be FUN. In fact, I heard that one year Playboy gave pink 914's to their Playboy bunnies, maybe you can name him or her "Bunny". Not only did you tell them they had a cool idea, but they already have a second decision to make (what to name the car).

Sure, they might not have opinions on lots of stuff, like how big an engine, adjustable shocks or not, or Bridgestone versus Yokahama. Sure, you could choose to be frustrated by their lack of opinions. Or... instead you choose those as your opportunities to make decisions about their car which results in - it couldn't have been created without the both of you.

Now... I’m not really a ‘pink’ person, but I happen to know for a fact you can get pink seat belts. Seats and steering wheel can be done in black with pink stitching (heck, pink with black stitching). Headrests can be inset with pink anything the heck they want. Do they want the windshield wiper arms painted body color or black? Do they like the look of vinyl on the Targa band or would they like it painted body color? Do they like the way American lenses look or do they prefer Euro? Do they want a pink air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror or not? Those decisions can be big or small... doesn't matter, they're making decisions about THEIR car.

I'm not trying to rag on any specific person at all!!!!!!!!!! I just read the thread and felt compelled to hop in (heh, heh, heh… she made a bunny joke) and give a significant other's point of view. driving-girl.gif driving.gif

P.S.: I've seen a few cars done in various shades of pink with a heavy pearl - they were absolutely beautiful. Show her how whichever pink she picks out would look in pearl too! cheer.gif
Bleyseng
Paint it Pink!!! Like 55 T bird pink
Mikey914
I'm sorry if my "tone" may not have been anything less than 100% supportive here.

I honestly had never envisioned this. If we can do this together and she genuinely enjoys it it's a win win in my book. beer3.gif

All I can say is I don't think what she has in mind has been done before.

To bravely go where no man woman has gone before!
PanelBilly
Get her some bunny ears and a tail too.
914werke
QUOTE(Betty @ Jun 28 2020, 08:56 AM) *
Speaking as a person of the female persuasion... I don't understand some of the posts sometimes.

Betty Thank you for your comments agree.gif & sometimes this group does forget that its reach is global including all genders aktion035.gif
That being said I can impart my personal experience with a very analogous request.
Those here that know me well, are aware I am motorcyclist & some time back my wife decided she wanted a Pink bike to ride with me. piratenanner.gif
After working with her to find & buy the right bike then having it repainted her chosen shade of pink, she used it all of ....one time.
The bike hung around a long time afterward 1st with the promise that it we'd go riding soon,
then when shed relented to let me off it, no one wanted it because of its hue. wacko.gif
The moral is simply sometimes, Im not saying this is whats going on in Marks case, but often it is a just a desire to share in a partners passion.
rhodyguy

More importantly, who is responsible for oil changes and valve adjustments?
Montreal914
I think she will have a very cool car. driving-girl.gif

I can't wait to see pictures.

914s look great in bright colors smile.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 27 2020, 08:44 PM) *

Pink. Bubblegum to be exact. . . . . SO I'm thinking yes. I'm more of a stock kid of guy, maybe bigger engine and some tasteful performance and handing upgrades. . . . I'll keep ya'll posted as this progresses

I know a guy who can get you a good deal on the parts you need. ph34r.gif shades.gif Here.
SirAndy
Taken from this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=43032

cheer.gif

IPB Image
Maltese Falcon
Ms. Steadman's very cool pink POC racer...and she is a Hot Shoe in that class driving-girl.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...just avoid painting your Corvette pink in the PNW...you might wind up like this icon of Hollywood CA. "Angelyne"
Click to view attachment
76-914
Do it. I like her choice of interior. It will be a head turner. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Betty @ Jun 28 2020, 12:56 PM) *

Speaking as a person of the female persuasion... I don't understand some of the posts sometimes. I've read complaints such as "I can't get a kitchen pass" or “now I've gotta figure out how to hide the new parts from the other half" etc.

Somebody says "the wife has decided she wants a pink 914" and some of the responses are put a pink wrap on the car?!?!?! A significant other expressed a desire to be included (in a big way) in the 914 obsession and some of the responses are to not jump in with both feet and show them how happy it makes you that they're interested in coming over to your 'Dark Side'? When your significant other says they want to participate, you don't immediately start off implying you don't believe them or you think they'll change their mind later... "lets make it reversible, just in case" (a la wrapping the car instead of painting it).

They might not have an opinion at this point other than "I want one in pink" (maybe because they don't understand all of the choices they will be presented with, or maybe they truly don't care what engine is in it) but if you jump in and commit and continue to keep them involved in "THEIR car" by presenting them with choices for THEM to make throughout the process - you're going to end up with a significant other that feels involved and personally invested in what is now BOTH of your interest. They will also continue to feel involved when they’re able to talk about THEIR car at a 914 event beyond "well, I picked out the body color but that's all I did".

How about instead, that first response being something along the lines of "I've never thought about having a pink car ... but it sounds like it would be FUN. In fact, I heard that one year Playboy gave pink 914's to their Playboy bunnies, maybe you can name him or her "Bunny". Not only did you tell them they had a cool idea, but they already have a second decision to make (what to name the car).

Sure, they might not have opinions on lots of stuff, like how big an engine, adjustable shocks or not, or Bridgestone versus Yokahama. Sure, you could choose to be frustrated by their lack of opinions. Or... instead you choose those as your opportunities to make decisions about their car which results in - it couldn't have been created without the both of you.

Now... I’m not really a ‘pink’ person, but I happen to know for a fact you can get pink seat belts. Seats and steering wheel can be done in black with pink stitching (heck, pink with black stitching). Headrests can be inset with pink anything the heck they want. Do they want the windshield wiper arms painted body color or black? Do they like the look of vinyl on the Targa band or would they like it painted body color? Do they like the way American lenses look or do they prefer Euro? Do they want a pink air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror or not? Those decisions can be big or small... doesn't matter, they're making decisions about THEIR car.

I'm not trying to rag on any specific person at all!!!!!!!!!! I just read the thread and felt compelled to hop in (heh, heh, heh… she made a bunny joke) and give a significant other's point of view. driving-girl.gif driving.gif

P.S.: I've seen a few cars done in various shades of pink with a heavy pearl - they were absolutely beautiful. Show her how whichever pink she picks out would look in pearl too! cheer.gif

Most probably don’t know that Mrs. Mikey914 has a nice 912 and she can outride most of us on a horse. If she wants a strawberry or aubergine 914, she should have it. Good on you Mark!
Chris914n6
I'm still going to say wrap it because....

then you can use a car you already have and it will be finished sooner driving-girl.gif grouphug.gif

Pink-Wrap-Films

Satin Bubblegum Pink

IPB Image
fixer34
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 28 2020, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Betty @ Jun 28 2020, 12:56 PM) *

Most probably don’t know that Mrs. Mikey914 has a nice 912 and she can outride most of us on a horse. If she wants a strawberry or aubergine 914, she should have it. Good on you Mark!

Happy wife, Happy life...
mepstein
[quote name='Chris914n6' date='Jun 28 2020, 03:22 PM' post='2828920']
I'm still going to say wrap it because....

then you can use a car you already have and it will be finished sooner driving-girl.gif grouphug.gif

That's exactly why I said wrap. A paint job can take months to get done while a wrap
might take weeks or less. She could be driving this summer, not next.
horizontally-opposed
So what's cool here? Your wife wants a 914. That, by itself, is already cool.

I'd take the request for bubblegum pink as a challenge—as in, I'd have to think about which 914 and what setup would pull that color off. There are some colors for every car that are trickier than others, and I think bubblegum pink on a 914 is one of them.

I'd start by figuring out what my range for "bubblegum" is. Are we talking Dubble Bubble? Hubba Bubba? Or the one below?
https://www.justcandy.com/products/sw60157-...AiABEgKy4_D_BwE

Would Rubystone (as seen on the 964 RS) count on one side of the spectrum? How about Rose Red, which was period, or period-ish? Or some others?

Then I'd work on the setup. I think the one that would work best is, oddly enough, a 1975-1976 cars with 16x6 or 16x7 Fuchs in factory finishes all around, to tie into the black rubber bumpers and to "calm" the pink down a bit. There's a blue 914 with BUBs on here that gets me every time I see it. That car's setup would be the one I'd probably pursue. Then it's a matter of ride height and turn signal lenses (might actually go US despite my preference for Euro).

I think it could be a cool 914. Definitely memorable. And if your better half is happy…
Cairo94507
You know what Betty...you are absolutely right. In fact the reason my Six came to fruition was my wife got to pick the color- Irish Green (fortunately) and that was what got her to let me have my toy. Paint that sucker Mary Kay cosmetics pink and love it. beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
Mikes pink conversion. Got to ride with Mike to Telluride; great fun ! smile.gif
Beeliner
Count your blessings that your wife is seriously interested.

My wife is seriously uninterested. Hasn't gone for a ride in my last two 914s.
EdwardBlume
How cool.

You better hop to it!

beer.gif
Mikey914
Yes I think I may be able to get a shell reasonably that needs a little work and we can build from the ground up.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 28 2020, 11:18 PM) *

Yes I think I may be able to get a shell reasonably that needs a little work and we can build from the ground up.

At least you will know you have all the rubber parts to put it back together. lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Andyrew
I agree on a wrap.

Less time in the shop, (2 days vs half a year).

You can do it to a car she already loves, vs spending 3 years building a car for her.

Quality of wraps now adays means you can easily get 10 years out of a car that sits inside most of the time.

You could always wrap a car AND build her a pink car from scratch smile.gif That way she has it now AND later!!
Optimusglen
you can make a nice looking pink 914.

IPB Image
eric9144
QUOTE(Beeliner @ Jun 28 2020, 06:44 PM) *

Count your blessings that your wife is seriously interested.

My wife is seriously uninterested. Hasn't gone for a ride in my last two 914s.

agree.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jun 29 2020, 10:27 AM) *

IPB Image

I'll have to show her this!
Thanks,
Mark
fiacra
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jun 29 2020, 10:27 AM) *

IPB Image

Nice! I'd drive this without a second thought and without worrying that it would compromise my "manhood." Never understood the gender conforming color scheme mindset, or the rigid gender roles that seem so prevalent. My wife can, and does, change the oil on our cars. Not sure why that should be a big deal. Mark, get your wife whatever she wants if it makes her happy. That's worked for me for the last 30 years, and there is no sign that it won't keep working biggrin.gif
Chris H.
Black PORSCHE stripe would really set off the paint. Raspberry is a great stock color.
JamesM
I think they only requirement should be sticking with a factory color, so Raspberry!

I always like sticking with the original color of the car, but was in a similar situation, though in my case i went with the color swap so my wife wouldn't kill me for bringing another one home, and now we have a purple car! Its "her car" though 10 years later and i still cant get her to drive a stick. Consider yourself lucky you got a request to get involved.

I always thought a Raspberry car would look absolutely killer with the 75' white interior. Pink and white cow print, at least on the seats may be even better!

and no one get any ideas about @Kansas914 's car. I called dibs on that one a long time ago! cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Click to view attachment

JamesM
Not enough 914s came with white interior!!!

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Yes I have an Alaska Blue with the white. It looks pretty sharp. Showed the wife the computer generated car, she liked it, but said she thought the white stripe might set it off more. I did get a nod to the Raspberry, I'm going to shoot her a sample of it and see where it goes.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 29 2020, 06:17 PM) *
... I did get a nod to the Raspberry ...

smilie_pokal.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jun 29 2020, 04:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I love 914s, but I could NEVER have this car...... @Betty would never let me have a white interior on any car.

horizontally-opposed
Hooray for Raspberry! It's a great, correct color for a 914.

Glen's illo sure looks good...

Jamie
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 30 2020, 05:11 AM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Jun 29 2020, 04:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I love 914s, but I could NEVER have this car...... @Betty would never let me have a white interior on any car.

A white interior would be extremely high maintenance! At least is would be cooler than black on a sunny day.
Tbrown4x4
Speaking as someone from a mixed marriage (Car person and NON-car person!), I think you're in a very enviable position.

I'd paint or wrap that thing any damn color she wants!

And the more flashy it is the better. Might keep her safer in traffic.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Jun 30 2020, 10:02 AM) *

I hate to burst your bubble, but a BRIGHT FRIGGIN, SAFETY CONE ORANGE 914 is still easy to miss in a world full of humongous SUVs and Pickup Trucks.

Mikey914
Looks like I have been able to procure a suitable vehicle. It's stripped down and needs some metal work, but we will build it from the ground up. I will be going to see it Monday, the deal is done and will be a win win for everybody involved.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 1 2020, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Jun 30 2020, 10:02 AM) *

I hate to burst your bubble, but a BRIGHT FRIGGIN, SAFETY CONE ORANGE 914 is still easy to miss in a world full of humongous SUVs and Pickup Trucks.

Yes, my wife was at a parking garage in the 914 and another lady in a SUV backed into the 914. Happened so quickly my wife didn't have time to put in reverse to get out of the way. My 914 is Nepal Orange so how can you miss it! Well she didn't look just backed up and for the small dented front turn signal bucket the repair done right was $2800. Insurance paid for it.

Should be a fun project as a pink 914 is cool. They made a small run in 74 of them and a few went to Hawaii I heard. I have a transmission out of one
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.