Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absolute Newbie Engine I.D. Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tush
Hi All,

Totally new to the 914 so sorry for the Newbie question...I come from the Triumph TR world so I’m like a fish out of water!

Just been to see a very rough 914 car locally to me. The owner of the car is telling me that it’s a 1.7 L ( who am I to argue sunglasses.gif ). My understanding is that the car originally should have been fuel injected with the Bosch D-Jetronic injection (incidently, my Triumph TR8 uses a L-Jetronic injection).

Here are a few pics from today of the engine bay...it’s in quite a disarray. Can anyone tell me what this might be and if it is correct (pretty sure it isn’t).

Looks like I might only be able to add 1 photo so I might have to make an additional post below...Click to view attachment

Cheers
Tush
Tush
More photos Click to view attachment
Tush
1 more
Frankvw
Welcome to the 914 world !
I guess you were looking for a next project and not a driver if I see these pics.....
Hard to tell anything from this pics, but it is a type4 engine smile.gif
And Yes, it should have an injection system, but it was at some point in time swapped to carbs. But it misses a lot, for example all the vacuumhoses around the engine and other stuff.
Listen...before you buy this car, there is already a lot of rust in the pics and those are only the few pics of 1 side of the car....are you sure you sure you are looking for a project
Is this a 1973 914 ?
Tush
Hi Frank, Thank You for the response.

Yes, this car is most definitely a project, if that. It is very rusty and most I think would either just run away or consider it a parts car...it is a 73.

I’ve done a few, full restorations on cars (not 914’s) and pretty much do anything from metal fab, welding, paint/body, mechanical, engine etc..I’m not shy.

Having said that, I’m still considering the “ run away” part...it’s that rusty. I do like a challenge though. The good thing is, it’s not a lot of money....so, it could serve just as a good learning tool on what not to buy sunglasses.gif

Cheers,
Tush
JeffBowlsby
Could be whats left of euro market 1.8L. Dual solex carbs if I remember correctly.
fiacra
Looks like the FI system was stripped from the car. Can't see any evidence of a carb on the engine, or an effort to put one one. Possibly harvested for parts? Makes you wonder what else has been removed.... The amount of rust seen on what is left of the battery tray also makes me suspicious of significant other areas of rust. The battery tray is probably the "tip of the rust berg." There is a "914 for newbies" series on youtube (done by a 914World member -- Ian Karr) that might be helpful for you in understanding issues around the hell hole. As far as engine identification probably best if you Google "914world" and "engine number location" to guide you in finding the engine number. Different engines have the engine number in different locations. A replacement case may not have a number at all. In the "914 info" section of this website there is a chart to identify the engine by number. Until you are familiar with them it can be confusing to navigate the layout of the engine. Ian also has a video on this that you would find helpful.

Not enough pictures or information for me to say this authoritatively, but unless you are getting a price consistent with a parts car, or money is not a concern, you might want to keep looking. Easy to get burned on these cars unless you have a good fund of knowledge. Ask me how I know that.....

Edit: I see you posted again while I was writing this. Always nice to have a parts car so if the price is right and you have the space and desire then that might be a good decision. Also you will learn a lot by tearing down a car. I have in the past gone to the local self service junkyard to practice on a car. Lots of fun to use a hammer and pry bar to find that hidden screw biggrin.gif
Nojoah
welcome.png

I see you are also a Canadian, more specifically from Ontario! Was this the red 73 1.7 that was recently on Kijiji? I looked at the ad a few times - definitely a project. The ad claimed that the car only has 19'000 miles but due to the condition I'd say this has definitely rolled over.

edit: this car? https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/london...rare/1508537125
Jonathan Livesay
Those look like the throats of the little solex carbs that came on type 3s before they were fuel injected.
porschetub
No the carbed 914 used the larger square bowl 40 Solex's ,those carbs are off a bus T4 motor.
I'am thinking these are off an early 1.7 that had the steel oil bath air cleaner.
Ok to get the engine running but they really aren't great carb on a 914 T4 motor.
mobymutt
For $1000, I'd pick that up as a parts car. I wouldn't touch it as the beginning of a rebuild though.
SirAndy
Here's what the real deal (Euro 1.8L Solex carbs) should look like

IPB Image
Tush
Thanks All for the responses. Yes, this is the car in the kijiji listing.

Cheers
Tush
SirAndy
Not a 914 motor but supposedly 914 carbs on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbH53iRU2Fk
Bleyseng
Looks like a 72-74 1.7L bus engine with the 32 PDSIT's Solex carbs.
BillJ
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 29 2020, 10:25 AM) *

Watched your video and this is not a car that would be worth putting serious amounts of time into other than stripping useful things off of it. The rust is terminal on that passenger long. I would pay no more than $1k tops on it for.parts.
Mikey914
Sounds like he owns it now.

Normally I'd say you are right about the rust. However, if you restored completely and were able to source the correct engine plumbing it would be a rare example of a euro car. You would need to do some homework to make sure it wasn't just a motor someone popped into. Not sure what you get on a COA these days that would be helpful.

I think that as a unicorn, it would have some value. The question is are you ready to put the time and resources to do it? Do you really want to, it's a gamble?
porschetub
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 30 2020, 02:25 AM) *

I thought that to start with but checked the dipstick location and oil filler/breather.
The OP should supply an engine number.
Tdskip
@Tush !

This is Tom (tdskip) from the British Car Forum. Welcome!

These cars are more complicated in a couple ways than the TRs we cut our teeth on. Body rust is much more of an issue here and you need to be very careful about the condition of the core car structure.

I strongly encourage you to take loads and loads of pictures and share them here, you’ll get a in-depth an expert PPI back. Feel free to drop me a private message if you want to talk live.

FYI - these darn things are why I’ve been really quiet over in the British car world.

Tush
Hi guys,

So, as a quick update, I did NOT buy the car in the end. I did get the price down to $800 bucks and it would have been fun just to play with it for a little bit, but I already have 7 other 2 seaters to play with at the moment sunglasses.gif

Hey Tom! Great to see you here...I love running into the cross over guys on different forums...I had the same thing happen on the Alfa forum when I picked up my Spider Veloce and ran into some fellow TR Owners there. Hope you are well!

Cheers
Tush
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.