Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I’m new to 914s and 914World, but I’m pretty sure my car is not.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messick
Hello All,

My name is Nick. There is a chance some people here might remember my father, Tom Messick, who did 914 stuff back in SoCal about 20 years ago.

More people probably remember this car though, a ’70 with a 3.0L motor from a 911SC, named the Rocket. My dad bought it from a dude named Mike Z, who used to post on this forum, but not sure if he’s around still.

IPB Image

It hasn’t ran in a while. And since I’ve recently bought a place in Orange with a garage, and my dad has other projects these days, last week I put it on a trailer and brought it over.

A quick history of its last decade and a half:

After buying the car from Mike, the car was my dad’s daily driver for 5 or so years. I don’t remember any real issues. It wasn’t garaged, as his original 914 (a blue 72 1.8, I hazily remember) was constantly having problem that required it to be apart.

In 2005 it picked up some sort of vacuum leak that caused it to rev at 3k. This was either caused by, or had caused, an air box leak. At the same time, my boss wanted to sell his 1 year old Audi S4 with 11k miles. My dad had recently changed jobs and had a 55 mile commute, so he picked up the S4 and went to and from in air conditioned, 350HP luxury. The Audi became the new daily driver, and the 914 went into a garage at a rental. Since the S4, he had various cars but the last 4 have been EVs (Geo Storm that’s now gone, Chevy S10 he’s putting a Leaf battery pack into to replace the lead acid setup, an E Golf, and now an E Tron.

Well, sometime in 2010ish, some thieves broke into the garage and tried to steal the 914. They were pretty industrious as they brought their own Bosch fuel pump, and had even pulled the tank and fixed up a rotted away full line. However, they didn’t notice the battery master cut off switch was removed. They tried a bunch of things, but eventually they used a slide hammer on the ignition and attempted to directly hot wire the coil. Well, they learned the hard way that’s a bad idea since they (hopefully) got a face full of burning PCB oil ax the coil literally exploded. We are guessing whatever happened was pretty traumatic since they went through all that and didn’t just push it onto a trailer. They did steal the battery, amp, and head unit. For the next ten years it sat there until I trailered it home.

Here's a what a blown coil can look like. Hard to tell, but like 6ft of wire blew out of it as well. IPB Image
Near terms plans are to change the oil, and then replace the battery and coil and see what we got going with the rest of the ignition system. Then I was thinking making sure the fuel stuff isn’t going to burn my house down. After that, vacuum hose replacements. After that brakes, as pedal goes right to the floor. After that, clean up mess the thieves made under the dash and with the ignition switch.

Please let me know if I should do things a in a different order. I didn’t see a thread about “This is what you should do if your car has been sitting for 15 years”, but maybe someone can point me to one.

Rust wise, the hellhole has some problems. Although, pulling off the rocker panel it doesn’t seem super terrible from the outside. Maybe someone can take a look at my pictures and tell me if the car is literally going to catastrophically fail if goes back onto the street in that condition. It has lots of stuff welded onto the bottom since it was an autocross racer, so not sure if that's hiding rust and/or mitigating it. The jack point cone thing definitely has a bunch.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

My plan is to get it running and on the road so I can have some fun, but I am looking forward to (eventually) doing a full restoration. I literally have zero welding and auto body experience, so that part I’m going to have to work up to. Also, it will be easier to sell my wife on the garage getting taken over for an indefinite amount of time as an auto shop if she can at least drive around in the car first, heh.

Anyway, I’m sure I’ll have a billion questions, but figured I’d introduce myself.

More pics of rest of car in an album: https://imgur.com/a/v0gWS5R
abes914
welcome.png

You came to the right place. Lots of SoCal teener here.
dt4
Wow, to break in with all the parts they had certainly suggests they knew their way around and knew what to do (to a point)
They must have know it was there and been in and out a few times to figure out what was needed?

Great project, good luck with the journey
sb914
Mike z is still around . @Joe Bob
Cairo94507
welcome.png Looks and sounds like a very worthy project and I am sure your dad would love to see it running and driving again too. Plenty to do to get it to that point. Be methodical and patient and come up with a punch list and just work away at it one item at a time and then move to the next. The alternative is to just pull the motor and go bananas on the entire car all at once. However, cars tend to sit for very long periods when that approach is tackled. beerchug.gif
VegasRacer
Rocket.
Click to view attachment
campbellcj
Hey hey hey, I remember that car from way back! (20-ish yrs ago) welcome.png Used to go on fun runs and autocross and so forth with Tom first then MikeZ when he was in Santa Barbara. Looking forward to seeing it back in action - whereabouts in SoCal are you?
messick
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 29 2020, 06:53 AM) *

Hey hey hey, I remember that car from way back! (20-ish yrs ago) welcome.png Used to go on fun runs and autocross and so forth with Tom first then MikeZ when he was in Santa Barbara. Looking forward to seeing it back in action - whereabouts in SoCal are you?

I'm in Orange, right where the 91/55 meet.
ndfrigi
wow you are just in the middle of many 914 owners. You should join one of the comining weekend 914 meet.
914Timo
welcome.png

Pink bunny ears ?? biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(914Timo @ Jun 29 2020, 10:59 AM) *

Pink bunny ears ??

@Joe Bob
Click to view attachment
campbellcj
From some drives and swap meets in 2001 -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The 73 2.0 I had at the time -

Click to view attachment

get off my lawn
QUOTE(messick @ Jun 29 2020, 09:06 AM) *

I'm in Orange, right where the 91/55 meet.

We be neighbors. 91 and glassell.
and BTW that was the first 914/6 I ever rode in.
Coondog
Geez I hope you guys have pics of my car in twenty years...... blink.gif
Congrats, there are more 914s owners within 90 miles of you then anywhere in the world.
Joe Bob
Wondered where it went. Anyone know if it’s on the road?
burton73
I say to do the brakes first because as soon as you get it running you are going want to test drive it and you need to fix them. It may be a small matter.

It does not look that bad and you can take it to any level. You will get the answers
To the questions in a search Engen like Google and ask a question and end with 914world

When you can, always show pictures.

Welcome to the world. The place to be for 914 people

Bob B
welcome.png
Joe Bob
When I sold it I mentioned that the passenger side rear suspension had a less than permanent repair. Aka the hell hole. Along with the air box repair it would be prudent to pull the engine. Fix the suspension point properly. Last time I did it I needed a Cellette bench.

Clean up the oil triangle of death. The engine should be in great shape otherwise. Before selling I did a valve job and replaced the head studs and installed a 964 camshaft.

The trans was rebuilt with a taller 5th and has a Quaiffe LSD. ALL the brakes are machined BMW 320i calipers. I may have used 911 SC front suspension. Can’t remember.

I sent a PM to the OP with my contact information.

Good luck.
Joe Bob
Oh yeah. No ebrake.
get off my lawn
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 1 2020, 06:12 AM) *

It needs a "save the naugas" bumper sticker.
Whatever happened to malmzzzz, anywho?
get off my lawn
campbellcj
QUOTE(get off my lawn @ Jan 20 2021, 10:28 AM) *

Good question - I totally fell out of touch with malmz and haven't seen any trace of that 914ZX car in eons. I bet a lot here don't even know there's a 914-280Z swap rolling around.
Joe Bob
His website is inactive.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 21 2021, 07:55 AM) *

QUOTE(get off my lawn @ Jan 20 2021, 10:28 AM) *

Good question - I totally fell out of touch with malmz and haven't seen any trace of that 914ZX car in eons. I bet a lot here don't even know there's a 914-280Z swap rolling around.

It was a VG-30 V-6 out of a 300ZX. The inline six in a 280ZX would never fit in a 914 engine compartment.

get off my lawn
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 21 2021, 11:01 AM) *

The inline six in a 280ZX would never fit in a 914 engine compartment.

And ya can't turbo a 914 either poke.gif

I agree that it wouldn't fit WELL, but .......
Joe Bob
If anyone looks for him his last has no “Z” on the end.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(get off my lawn @ Jan 21 2021, 01:27 PM) *

I have LOTS of experience with the Nissan L-28 engine. The length of the L-28 block alone is 30 inches, without pulleys or flywheel. It is almost the length of a 914 engine and transmission combined. You would have to stretch the whole 914 chassis to install it.

Joe Bob
So if you laid the Nissan block on its end it would be......
pete000
I miss those early days of Porsche lifestyle before they got out of control. You could get great deals on parts, no hipsters at meets, the 914 was the unloved hated little secret. Keep posting pics of the good old days !
Joe Bob
QUOTE(get off my lawn @ Jan 21 2021, 11:27 AM) *

Izzat you Sammy?
Joe Bob
BTW. How many 914s have a hidden trailer hitch in the trunk?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.