Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a favor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
Hi folks,

I have a suspicion that my dipstick tube isn't the right length and is making the dipstick reading inaccurate.

The tube is 3-1/8th" long when measured from base where it meets the tin to the top opening. Just in case there's any chance that my dipstick is the wrong length, I measured it too and the dipstick itself (not the handle portion) is exactly 14".

Can someone else with a T4 motor measure and confirm that their tube is the same length?

Thanks in advance! beerchug.gif

Randy
Frankvw
well....you asked for a type4 motor.
Here my 1,7 914 type4.
I pulled out the dipstick a bit so you see the end of the tube.

Click to view attachment

The type4 2.0 in my T2b bus is different, so I do not think you want that.....
does this help ?
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jun 29 2020, 09:12 AM) *

Here my 1,7 914 type4.

Thank you! That does help and confirms my dipstick tube seems like maybe it's at least a 1/4" short compared to yours.

Anyone else? Maybe we can get a few measured and see if they're all around 3-1/2", or if there's variance.

I filled my motor with approx 3-1/2 qts of oil yesterday after doing an oil/filter change and adding a tuna can. After running the motor for a few minutes, I shut it off and the oil level is showing at least a 1/4" above the full line on the dipstick when really I think it should be closer to the bottom line on the dipstick. sad.gif
BillC
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 29 2020, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jun 29 2020, 09:12 AM) *

Here my 1,7 914 type4.

Thank you! That does help and confirms my dipstick tube seems like maybe it's at least a 1/4" short compared to yours.

Anyone else? Maybe we can get a few measured and see if they're all around 3-1/2", or if there's variance.

I filled my motor with approx 3-1/2 qts of oil yesterday after doing an oil/filter change and adding a tuna can. After running the motor for a few minutes, I shut it off and the oil level is showing at least a 1/4" above the full line on the dipstick when really I think it should be closer to the bottom line on the dipstick. sad.gif

Just checked my '73 2.0, and its dipstick tube is also just shy of 3.5" tall above the block.
BeatNavy
I just checked as well. 3.5" to the tin on an EA (1.7), and 6.5" to the case on a GA (2.0).
RoadGlue
Thanks everyone! This was really helpful.

Cheers - Randy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.