Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: wreck on the vineyard lap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
So I'm sitting here bumping the board...As usual dry.gif

This guy is pounding on my front door, telling me to call 911 because of a wreck with injuries just up the street.

Small Toyota pick-up took on one of the faster sections.
The truck was COMPLETELY WASTED. Multi roll over as it went through the trees and down an embankment.

Don't drink and drive. ( I smelled the booze )

I grabbed my vinyl gloves, clean rags and the first aid kit.
Went down to help the lady that was the worst.
BLOOD everywhere...Embedded glass.
Air bags saved them from worse.
I put a cloth over the arm as the paramedics arrived.
The driver was up and walking around, they put him on a back board just in case.

The lady was sleeping and had to wake up to air bags, breaking glass and trees across the hood.

They'll both be fine.

This happens about once every couple of months on the vineyard lap.

What was strange is that when I first came up to the lady, she was sitting up, holding the arm and smoking a cig... confused24.gif

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jul 10 2005, 02:38 PM)
What was strange is that when I first came up to the lady, she was sitting up, holding the arm and smoking a cig...

better than screaming. makes for good nightmare for a couple of weeks ... icon8.gif

i've been the first on the scene a couple of times. i've seen some stuff that made my stomach turn upside down, but the screaming is the worst ...

once got to an accident, car in the ditch, had hit a drain pipe head on. blood everywhere, 3 girls inside, i get to the pass. door and lift out the girl and it's an ex-girlfriend of mine.
no airbags, no seatbelts, her whole face was cut (she went through the windshield with her head) and the flesh hung down in pieces, lost all her front teeth too. sad.gif
no alcohol involved tho, the driver had lost her cigarette and when she reached down to grab it, she lost control of the car ...

makes me sick just thinking about it ...
barf.gif Andy
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jul 10 2005, 02:38 PM)
So I'm sitting here bumping the board...As usual dry.gif

This guy is pounding on my front door, telling me to call 911 because of a wreck with injuries just up the street.

Small Toyota pick-up took on one of the faster sections.
The truck was COMPLETELY WASTED. Multi roll over as it went through the trees and down an embankment.

Don't drink and drive. ( I smelled the booze )

I grabbed my vinyl gloves, clean rags and the first aid kit.
Went down to help the lady that was the worst.
BLOOD everywhere...Embedded glass.
Air bags saved them from worse.
I put a cloth over the arm as the paramedics arrived.
The driver was up and walking around, they put him on a back board just in case.

The lady was sleeping and had to wake up to air bags, breaking glass and trees across the hood.

They'll both be fine.

This happens about once every couple of months on the vineyard lap.

What was strange is that when I first came up to the lady, she was sitting up, holding the arm and smoking a cig... confused24.gif

KT

You put a cloth over the arm? The lady was holding the arm? Did I miss something? Someone lost their arm?
Elliot
URY914
I was first to a early VW Bus that had been t-boned and flipped in the air. The driver way hanging out the passenger windshield. Happened in front of my office. He was in bad shape and just a kid. No belts and no bags.

When a new car hits an old car. New car wins. sad.gif

Paul
Trekkor
No lost arm, Just had her hold the cloth over the wound.

Here's the truck.
Maybe it's a Ford.

KT
campbellcj
We came across a really nasty one a few years back. I think it was xmas eve and we were heading up to Mammoth to ski. A lady with a couple kids in the back seat and the entire tiny Honda packed with gifts was apparently pushed off the road by a pickup truck that came over into her lane (probably didn't see her tiny car and/or was drunk), and left the scene as she plowed into a concrete barrier. IIRC this was on the 14 or maybe 395.

She was completely pinned in the car; broken femur (the BIG bone in your thigh) protruding out of the flesh, and the dash and steering wheel crushed up to her chest, face all cut up, knocked-out teeth, etc. The kids were actually fine -- just bruised and screaming -- thank god they were belted in properly. We didn't touch anyone as the injuries did not look immediately life-threatening and the emergency crews were in route and arrived within minutes.

It was a grim way to kick off the holidays...
Aaron Cox
i saw a rollover SUV on the freeway. pulled the people out of the truck.....

trained in first aid etc... did my job, until EMS came.

AA
snflupigus
wow... thank god I've never seen anything like that. I dont know how people do that for a living. My roomate back in NE was a Paramedic. Came home laughing one day while he was just an emt and said "I got to pronounce my first dead today" - I'm thinking... why the hell are you laughing.. some 60+ year old guy, pants around his ankles with girls gone wild in.... wife came home and found him. Seriously!

Nothing phased this guy - nothing grossed him out or suprised him after a while.

again, WOW!
Trekkor
Story made the local news.
I'm in the striped shirt.

KT
sportlicherFahrer
I came around a corner once RIGHT after an accident happened. New Chevy truck (Silverado 2500) T-boned a '95ish jetta. Car was wasted. Took out a stop sign too. Passenger side was in the middle of the car. Bags went off and all that good stuff. Some lady with three kids in the car. They all walked out of it. The worst injury was a bloody nose on one of the kids. The guy driving the truck ( which had a dented bumper and a cracked headlight) and his son were standing there like WTF just happened? Lady turned left right in front of the truck. Too much of that shit happening. Thats how my teener came to be in my driveway. Too bad it cost me my bug. I'd rather have them sitting side by side.
Allan
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jul 14 2005, 01:08 AM)
Story made the local news.
I'm in the striped shirt.

KT

You just get outta prison?
ConeDodger
Trekkor, Given that you have regular accidents on that road, my advice, and my wife agrees, lose that shirt. smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Rotten Robby @ Jul 14 2005, 06:19 AM)
Trekkor, Given that you have regular accidents on that road, my advice, and my wife agrees, lose that shirt. smile.gif

where's TK??
Trekkor
smilie_pokal.gif

lol2.gif

Where's KT?
GTeener
lol2.gif Like the Where's Trekkor image smile.gif

Ford trucks are the best when it comes to safety.

My youngest brother rolled my folk's Expedition with 3 other unsuspecting teens in it and they all walked away with minor injuries. My folks said if they saw the truck before they saw my brother they would have thought he was dead or paralyzed.

The truck looked like a chopped station wagon icon8.gif
morph
There are several accidents on the road below our place, there is a couple of sharp turns and people are always driving too fast, one night James and I were sitting outside on our deck looking at the view and sure enough someone driving way too fast wrecks on the turn. Our view of the wreck was obstructed by a couple of trees, but I watched him fly off the road and heard the breaking glass and crunching metal as he rolled his car. I called 911 and told her someone wrecked below our house. Did you see the wreck? she asked. I say "no" he wrecked behind some trees, and it sounded pretty bad". Then she starts to argue with me mad.gif something along the line of "if you didn't see it, then how do you know that it happened" . James gets on the phone, and then she finally sent someone. Nice to know that while someone lays hurt, she has the nerve to argue. We get at least on nasty accident on that corner every year. It rained last week, and there were two people that went off the road in the same spot.

HIEDI
Brad Roberts
Trekkor,

I need to introduce you to Ron Wicker. He is one of the chiefs of the Rutherford fire department. He typically show's up to all the accidents in that area. He is a 914 racer who owns a winery management consultanting company.

B
pastordavid
Sorry I am late getting in on this thread. I meant to post a few days ago, but...

I was in a wreck three years ago this past May. I was going in to the office, less than 2 miles from the parsonage. As I was turning across the fourlane, undivided, infront of the church, a young mother in a minivan came around another car heading the opposite direction (around on the right, I might add) and hit me in the right front corner. It pushed me through the intersection, up against a building that housed, appropriately enough, a casket company. You know, you can't make this stuff up!

The impact literally took off the front end of my car, motor and all. The speed limit was 30, and she was not ticketed. Fortunately, neither her nor any of her three lids in the van were injured. My story was a little different. I was first taken to the local hospital, and then lifelined to Indianapolis (Methodist Hospital). The doctors tell me I died in the helicopter, and before they could get the paddles out my hear kicked in again.

This was 500 weekend in Indy, so I was lucky enough to have all the best on call. Dr. Terry Trammell was the first to see me, and he then referred me to Dr. Jerry House. My wife was told when she left Brazil, IN. that IF I was alive when she got there, I would be in surgery anywhere from 5-9 hours. Imagine that 2 hour drive! When she did arive, I was not in surgery. She panicked. They finally found me, sitting in the ER, talking to the Drs and Nurses.

We were told that I would be in the hospital 4-6 week. Wrong again. I was released in 4 days (my wife thinks it is because they couln;t stand me any more), and I was back in the pulpit the following Sunday. The injuries? A Basilar (?) sckull fracture (the one that killed Dale Earnhardt), three other skull fractures, de3stroyed the right middle ear (I now have about 40% hearing there), and brain shearing. No brain damage (still being debated, I am working on a 914...). Oh, and the car? a 1991 Cadillac Seville, not a lightweight!

Needless to say, I am a blessed individual, and do not take lightly those that stop and help. Trekkor, thank you for your willingness to be there. I still struggle with my eyesight, my memory isn't as good as it used to be, the right side of may face has suffered some paralysis, similar to Bells Palsy, and there are the headaches and fatigue I still fight.

Just a fatherly note (I am one of the older guys here) - Be careful out there! Life is indeed precious, and can change in the wink of an eye.

Thanks for reading, if you got this far.

pastor david wavey.gif
914fire
Just remember that if you are not trained in EMS or rescue the best thing you can do to help is call 911. NEVER pull somebody from a car unless they are actually on fire! In most urban areas emergency personnel are only minutes away.
Hawktel
Long ago I ended up giving out physics lesson to guy that my Samuri at 30 mph was more than he could stop with his buck fifty body.

It wasn't fun. I could hardly drive for the next 2 months, I'd even sweat when driving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.