Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding Koni Shocks Cost
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
I'd always expected when the time came to have my Koni sport shocks/struts rebuilt, it could be done so at a significant savings over buying new parts, but the quote I got back from Performance Shock over at Sonoma Vly Raceway was $275/per corner, but it could be more if they needed additional parts to bring them back up to spec. They were great to chat with, and were clear that if the shocks were still available new then that's the way to go.

Is that a typical price? I was honestly just going to have them done as I've just ordered everything I need to rebuilt my suspension, steering and brake systems from the ground up. Once I have the front end disassembled I may find that they're still good, but I'm sure they're at least 15-20 years old.

GregAmy
It is typical. Unless you have some spiffy revalving you need to retain, it's better to replace with new.

GA, Koni racer and overall Koni butt-boy
Retroracer
I got quoted the same price from the same vendor. I picked up a set of cheap Koni sport shocks at a swap meet some time ago - functional, but in need of refresh. At the time I checked, you could buy them brand new for cheaper than the rebuild cost - which seemed wrong....?

- Tony
GregAmy
Note that Koni builds the dampers in bulk on a production line, whereas rebuilding is a labor-intensive task is done by vendors.

It's not really that surprising.
Krieger
Hey Randy! The guys at PSI can also dyno your old shocks for $15-20 each to see if they are performing up to spec
mepstein
The rebuild service is for someone who wants custom valving or has a special shock - race, date code, rare model, etc. for those cases, it makes sense.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jul 1 2020, 10:14 AM) *

Hey Randy! The guys at PSI can also dyno your old shocks for $15-20 each to see if they are performing up to spec

Perfect. That's exactly what I'll have them do. Thanks buddy!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2020, 10:18 AM) *

The rebuild service is for someone who wants custom valving or has a special shock - race, date code, rare model, etc. for those cases, it makes sense.

That's what I figured after getting the quote, but wanted to check in with the hive mind with only having spoken with the one outfit here in Sonoma Co.
Matt Romanowski
Koni shocks cost more to rebuild because of how they are built. The $250 a shock is expensive in general. Normal prices are closer to $150 a shock plus part for Bilstien inserts.

Edit: You're other choice for Koni rebuild is http://www.truechoicekoniracingservices.com/
rhodyguy
When the service is performed, do internally adj and externally adj Konis' remain as manufactured or can the internal ones be upgraded?
914Sixer
The kicker to all this is the fact that the rear hydraulic Koni's are NOT available with the EXCEPTION of NOS ones from Porsche in Germany. The NOS factory ones are NOT externally adjustable. They cost $255 each from Porsche. The new Koni Classics for the front ARE available but are NOT externally adjustable.

The gas versions are a different story.
live free & drive
I sent some Koni red struts out to PSI to be rebuilt, they said it wasn't worth it and recommended new - which means gas charged and externally adjustable.

I had them revalve new yellow sport units back to Koni red specs and lose the gas - they also dynoed the shock before and after to show the difference. Pricey ($400ea), but gained external adjustability.
porschetub
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Jul 2 2020, 06:20 AM) *

Koni shocks cost more to rebuild because of how they are built. The $250 a shock is expensive in general. Normal prices are closer to $150 a shock plus part for Bilstien inserts.

Edit: You're other choice for Koni rebuild is http://www.truechoicekoniracingservices.com/

Been researching doing up my faulty Bilsteins "yellow" struts,and found a price of $127/side a while back.
Mine were really stiff and hardly moved up or down,the spears are in good condition with chrome pretty much unmarked,I see Summit racing have rebuild kits but I haven't checked the numbers on mine to see if they have the right kit.
A company in my country called Autoalign offer a rebuild service ,might check them out.
Mark Henry
Are you sure the front bushings haven't seized?
My fronts were hard as a rock, like a go carts solid (no) suspension. Took the struts off and the A-arms barely budged. I used full motion bearings and the arms fell right vertical, bolted up the struts and couldn't believe the difference.
9146BRUCE
Hi I sent 2 sets of the rear coilovers for truchoice to rebuild and it cost 2500.
horizontally-opposed
Normal pricing.

Had them check two Koni Red rears; one good, one bad. Pricing had me return them to storage—because I will probably have PSI rebuild them at some point. Did Bilstein HDs and regret that decision.

PSI's price seems more than fair for the work involved, and the option to make the rears double adjustable "while we're in there" didn't sound that bad after I got over the initial estimate.

Just need to figure out what to do with the front. Need to raise the spindles and figure out red inserts.
porschetub
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 2 2020, 03:15 PM) *

Are you sure the front bushings haven't seized?
My fronts were hard as a rock, like a go carts solid (no) suspension. Took the struts off and the A-arms barely budged. I used full motion bearings and the arms fell right vertical, bolted up the struts and couldn't believe the difference.

Thanks Mark,replacement Boge struts cured the issue,arms were free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.