Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear brake caliper question - equal piston movement on both sides?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
First time looking at/working on these and have a couple questions if I may.

I hit the lines with compressed air and the pistons moved but the pistons on the same side as the hard line moved much further than the ones on the other side of the caliper.

Shouldn’t they move the same amount so there’s equal pressure on both sides of the brake rotor?

If I need to get the Pistons out just remove/cut away the rubber boots and put a thin block of wood in there and then hit them again with compressed air? Should the Pistons come all the way out or just out far enough where I can get them with some sort of vise grip?

Thanks!
Tdskip
Thanks Brent, great links.

Any thoughts on how even the piston movement should be?
bbrock
I'm thinking that would be normal when using air because I doubt the pressure is as evenly distributed as with brake fluid. I know when I took mine apart, it was typical for one side to pop out with air while the other barely moved. Then I had to block off the other side to pop the second piston out. They shoot out like a bullet so follow Eric's instructions carefully.
bbrock
I wasn't paying attention and just caught you are dealing with the rear calipers. They are completely different due to the adjuster mechanism. Watching the video should clear things up on removing the pistons but they don't pop out with air like the fronts.
Tdskip
Thank you, appreciate the follow up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.