Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone ever put.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
i mean it should be just like the 928 swap w/ a whole lot more room! Im thinking use a 944 trans though, might make for alittle more room, smoother shifts and correct gearing. Now how to figure out linkage?
scotty b
I have given the tranny ALOT of thought for my 6 conversion, seeing as how I have 2 spares sitting around. I haven't gone as far as to pull one out and take measurements but the problems I imagine are A = mounting (probably not to hard) and B = input shaft may be too short. One possible fix for that ( I'm not sure I like it) is to make a short shaft and use the coupler the 944 uses to mate the tranny shaft and torque tube shaft.
jwalters
rolleyes.gif Sheesh Scotty, get something working right will ya.... wacko.gif

laugh.gif
scotty b
mad.gif My attitude werking just fine jackass flipa.gif How'd you make out with Dennis? 914 have enough clearance to navigate the streets? biggrin.gif Could I ask you to take a look at my CIS guru post and give any input you may have? Please? Pretty please with Miles on top??? Oh and the suburban run fine too, as does the 944 it just is taking a little longer than expected.......... unsure.gif
rick 918-S
944 motors have a big as distributor sticking off the front of the motor. With the length of the head and the added length of the distributor it would end up about a foot into the car. Way too much work for the HP gain. Better off just building a big type IV. Transaxle looks cool though.
scotty914
trans looks cool but no starter flange, look at the audi 5000 tranny, pretty strong and the shifter stuff has been figured out
rick 918-S
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Jul 10 2005, 09:30 PM)
trans looks cool but no starter flange, look at the audi 5000 tranny, pretty strong and the shifter stuff has been figured out

agree.gif
Verruckt
Yeah, I talked to Rick about this. This was my "big idea". Seemed cool as hell. But like he said, the distributor sticks way out. You would have to mod the firewall on the passenger side big time, very little room. God if there was a way to make it work, i'd be all over it. Would that tranny help any? idea.gif
rick 918-S
You may be able to get around the distributor issue with some kind of crank fire adapter and coil packs or something but the Hp gain still isn't worth all the work.

The transaxle has no starter provision. If the case is aluminum one could be cut and welded to the case easy enough. but...... confused24.gif
Brando
QUOTE (scotty b @ Jul 10 2005, 02:34 PM)
I have given the tranny ALOT of thought for my 6 conversion, seeing as how I have 2 spares sitting around. I haven't gone as far as to pull one out and take measurements but the problems I imagine are A = mounting (probably not to hard) and B = input shaft may be too short. One possible fix for that ( I'm not sure I like it) is to make a short shaft and use the coupler the 944 uses to mate the tranny shaft and torque tube shaft.

That and you'd have to run the shift linkage through the motor. 944 trans have the linkage going into the top, unlike the 915 and 901 where it comes into the bottom/bottom side.
Brett W
The tranny is the same as the 016 from the Audi 5000 and 5000 turbo. Just build a cable shift.
andys
Unlike the Audi 016 (AAZ or 5N), the 944 016 (J/K/R/S) trans has no provision for a starter, or a clutch. The input shaft is all wrong. Also, the 944T trans parts (better ratio's, hardened 1st gear) will not interchange with the Audi 016, in case you were wondering.

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.