Did a search and found many threads on engine break-in after full rebuild, but nothing on what to do before firing up a Type 4 2.0 liter after a top end refresh. Heads cleaned up and valves lapped in, cylinders honed and coated with ring bedding compound, cleaned up pistons and installed new rings, engine turned by hand while adjusting valves. Didn't touch the bottom end or cam.

I was planning on filling the oil filter with Brad Penn 20W50 before installing it and filling the engine with the same oil. Plan on pulling off the positive lead to the coil and cranking until I build oil pressure, then re-connecting it and firing it up. I have thought about squirting some oil into the cylinders before cranking, but I'm worried about the effect it will have on the ring embedding compound on the cylinder walls and the carbon residue left inside the head and on the piston after combustion of the added oil. So is it Ok to bypass squirting oil into the cylinders, or squirt something else like Marvel Mystery Oil in there. Anything else I should be doing before firing it up? Should I be using Brad Penn 30W Break-in Oil, or it that not really necessary?

Since I won't be breaking in a new cam and lifters, my break-in will be gentle running below 4K with varying rpm for a while, then increasing rpm by 500 each time after, with letting the engine cool between runs.

All comments, recommendations, and opinions greatly appreciated.