Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLD! FS: '72 914 1.7 in Philly area - lots of pictures!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Pages: 1, 2
dkos
[b]*EDIT* SOLD

[
mepstein
Post some pics and we can weigh in with suggestions.
dkos
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 3 2020, 01:22 PM) *

It's buried in the garage. I'll need to dig it out, get it off the blocks and roll it outside to photograph it. What specifically should I take pics of?
mepstein
QUOTE(dkos @ Jul 3 2020, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 3 2020, 01:22 PM) *

It's buried in the garage. I'll need to dig it out, get it off the blocks and roll it outside to photograph it. What specifically should I take pics of?

I would just move the stuff away from the car, turn on some lights and get some pics where it sits. Body panely, engine bay, longs with rocker covers removed, floor pan, inside front and rear trunk, etc. Get the hell hole and rear suspension console if possible. Shine some light under the car and snap some pics there as well.
All that is probably doable with an hour or so of work. You can always do the next step of moving it to the sunlight if you determine there is interest in what you have.
iankarr
Hi there,

I might be interested. A few pics would be super helpful. You’ll need to dig it out whether you sell or junk it anyway...so might as well snap some pics and get as much as you can for it!
dkos
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 3 2020, 03:00 PM) *

Hi there,

I might be interested. A few pics would be super helpful. You’ll need to dig it out whether you sell or junk it anyway...so might as well snap some pics and get as much as you can for it!

Ok, it’s off the blocks, the garage is somewhat cleaned out, and I was able to roll out. First time it’s seen the sun in 15 years! Surprised to see how dismantled it is. Seats, carpet and back pad are out. Rear window is out, but still intact. I don’t remember doing any of that. It’s almost dark now. I’ll roll it back out of the garage tomorrow and take some pics. Sorry, I didn’t think to take any pics of the underside while it was on blocks. Maybe I can still get some shots?
dkos
Photos:
dkos
photos
dkos
photos
dkos
photos
dkos
photos
dkos
photos
dkos
photos
dkos
more...of you can stand it
iankarr
Sending you a pm
dkos
keeps going
dkos
ugh...more
dkos
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 4 2020, 08:47 PM) *

Sending you a pm

where do I find PMs on this site?
dkos
will it never end?
dkos
there's got to be a better way to do this
dkos
ugh
dkos
getting close to the end
dkos
more
dkos
last one?
dkos
I forgot to take pics of the seats! I'll get them tomorrow
brcacti
Tires looked real good in the back of car
iankarr
QUOTE(dkos @ Jul 4 2020, 08:56 PM) *

Sending you a pm

You should get an email saying you have a PM. Or...you can click "messages" in the upper right corner...it should have a red "1" next to it...
dkos
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 4 2020, 10:51 PM) *

QUOTE(dkos @ Jul 4 2020, 08:56 PM) *

Sending you a pm

You should get an email saying you have a PM. Or...you can click "messages" in the upper right corner...it should have a red "1" next to it...

Haven’t received it.
fiacra
Parts in ziplock bags that are labeled with a sharpie....you definitely have Ian's attention now av-943.gif
jaredmcginness
Don’t junk that 914!! That’s a great base!
KELTY360
Worth at least a couple grand IMHO.
mepstein
Cuddy K/Ian is a good guy. I hope you guys can work out a deal. beerchug.gif
iankarr
QUOTE(fiacra @ Jul 4 2020, 11:27 PM) *

Parts in ziplock bags that are labeled with a sharpie....you definitely have Ian's attention now av-943.gif

Ha! I see you've been paying attention to my videos!
Olympic 914
Looks good, I have seen Much Much worse.

GLWS

mepstein
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 4 2020, 11:37 PM) *

Nope. It's a pretty rusty car that has had some less than desirable "repair" to it at one time.
dkos
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 5 2020, 10:22 AM) *

Nope. It's a pretty rusty car that has had some less than desirable "repair" to it at one time.

OK. Honestly this is more the response I was expecting. So, do you think it is worth anything?
KELTY360
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 5 2020, 06:22 AM) *

I would defer to your extensive knowledge of the marketplace, but given the current state of price escalation, combined with the stockpile of clean, neatly organized parts, plus a core engine and transmission, I don't think $2k is that far off. I think it would be a bargain at $1K so let the parties figure it out from there.

Note: the OP asked for what it might be worth in his first post and I'm the only one who threw out a number. shades.gif
dkos
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 5 2020, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 5 2020, 06:22 AM) *

I would defer to your extensive knowledge of the marketplace, but given the current state of price escalation, combined with the stockpile of clean, neatly organized parts, plus a core engine and transmission, I don't think $2k is that far off. I think it would be a bargain at $1K so let the parties figure it out from there.

Note: the OP asked for what it might be worth in his first post and I'm the only one who threw out a number. shades.gif

I appreciate your giving me a number. I’m curious to see what others think.
iankarr
FYI, Dave and I PM'd and I recommended listing the car in the classifieds wih whatever price he's looking for. It doesn't seem like a 2K car to me, given that there looks to be significant metal work required, it's not running and partially dissassembled. Just no easy way to tell what's missing or what it will need. This car looks to have some good parts. Perhaps it's worth 2K or more to someone else. I certainly don't want to stand in Dave's way of getting whatever he thinks is fair.
fiacra
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 4 2020, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(fiacra @ Jul 4 2020, 11:27 PM) *

Ha! I see you've been paying attention to my videos!

@cuddy_k Yes, I have. I'll take this opportunity to thank you for doing them. Informative, well put together, and a true service to the community. I do remember thinking that in addition to getting 914Rubber to sponsor them you should also see if Ziplock will sponsor you as well! My own variation on what you do is that I throw in one of those small disk magnets in the bag (the type everyone has on their fridge). Helps to keep everything from falling out if there is a hole in the bag, you drop it, or if things go flying when you open the bag.

Back on topic.... I agree that the value of the car is probably in the $1K to $2K range. Unfortunately there is no substitute for a physical inspection and inventory of what is missing. There is no harm in putting up a for sale ad at a price you would be happy with and see what you get. Worst case is that you ask too much and the car sits until someone gives you a reasonable offer.
Jonathan Livesay
Coming up with any sort of realistic valuation is probably contingent on seeing hellhole pics and a closer look at what metal repairs have already been done. Although as Mepstein points out the flat sheet metal longitudinal repair is not a big value enhancement.
roblav1
Interesting rocker panel repairs. Never seen it like that, but... although incorrect, if the welds are good, it might be ok as rat type rod. The telling feature is the rear door gaps.
My cent and a half... agree somewhere between 1 and 2k.
dkos
here are the photos of the seats and a few other misc. items.

dkos
a few more...
dkos
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Jul 5 2020, 07:36 PM) *

Interesting rocker panel repairs. Never seen it like that, but... although incorrect, if the welds are good, it might be ok as rat type rod. The telling feature is the rear door gaps.

My feeling, when I started this post, was that this is a parts car. As mepstein graciously put it, "It's a pretty rusty car that has had some less than desirable "repair" to it". I don't want to portray this car as anything it is not and I'm not looking to gouge anyone on the price. Assuming the worst for the rust situation and the crappy metalwork, could it still be worth $1000?.
roblav1
It's essily worth $1k, even as a parts car.
Fat fingers on phone...
iankarr
Taking into consideration the value of the parts shown, the structural condition, and the shlep factor of dealing with a car that doesn't move under its own power, 1K seems right to me...but I'm happy for Dave is someone is willing to go higher!

PS thanks @fiacra for the kind words and ideas wink.gif
SKL1
I would think some P-car or 914 guy in the Penn area with a trailer and wanting a 914 project would be glad to part with 1K for that... one important question- do the windows roll up or is it trying to fold in half?

(must say the longitudinal "repair" is rather interesting)
euro911
The door gaps on the passenger side look OK ... the driver's side looks a little tight at the bottom though confused24.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(dkos @ Jul 5 2020, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(roblav1 @ Jul 5 2020, 07:36 PM) *

My feeling, when I started this post, was that this is a parts car. As mepstein graciously put it, "It's a pretty rusty car that has had some less than desirable "repair" to it". I don't want to portray this car as anything it is not and I'm not looking to gouge anyone on the price. Assuming the worst for the rust situation and the crappy metalwork, could it still be worth $1000?.

I think you are right about it being a parts car, and I would say probably 800-1000 tops because its a tail shift 1.7 so the market for those parts is rather limited. If it was a 2L car with its injection intact than sure, 2k no problem. The problem with the 1.7/side shift stuff is that its not an upgrade for anyone, so the only people looking to use these parts are those with 1.7s and most people who are pulling their 1.7 or tail shift for repair are looking to upgrade anyways.

I know the east and west coast markets differ a bit but those are the prices I am accustom to out here.

Absolutely shouldn't be trashed though, there is still usable 50 year old NLA parts here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.