Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Splitting the Stubborn Case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
I have removed all case fasteners (20 smaller nuts and/or bolts plus 6 large bolts)--and I have checked at least a dozen times--and compared to various guides. At this point only sealant should be holding the case halves together.

But my gentle and careful efforts have not budged things. And even some slightly more aggressive tapping with a hammer and hardwood dowel has not worked.

What to try next? Any good methods besides the tool that wedges the oil strainer hole open?
bdstone914
Yes on the tool that inserts into the oil pump cavity.
IronHillRestorations
There's one nut on the lower front of the case that's easy to miss. I'm with Bruce on the oil pump bore splitter. You can gently use a brass drift on the studs. Just don't pry it apart, you'll create an oil leak.
iankarr
Try Jake Raby's method...make sure the front main seal and fan hub are still on the engine, then use a prybar between them, making sure that the edge of the bar is definitely pressing on the seal (not the case). If all your bolts are out, the case will split really easy this way....
Mark Henry
Also make sure all the washers are off, they catch on the threads.
Jake Raby
If its fighting you, either the case is being held up by a locating dowel pin, or you’ve left a fastener behind.. My engine rebuild video is a real life saver, here. I show each fastener.
iankarr
agree.gif 1000%

Hope you're well, Jake!
bkrantz
Thanks, everyone. Cuddy (and Jake) are the winners. I did some gentle prying on the input shaft seal, and the seam opened along the front the middle. But the rear seam by the flywheel was not cooperating. I resorted to some plastic wedges (door shims) and that did the trick.
Robarabian
Thats how I did it yesterday.. worked like a charm against the seal..

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 4 2020, 05:16 AM) *

Try Jake Raby's method...make sure the front main seal and fan hub are still on the engine, then use a prybar between them, making sure that the edge of the bar is definitely pressing on the seal (not the case). If all your bolts are out, the case will split really easy this way....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.