Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big backfire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
I tried to start the car as I normally do but back fired (pretty loud) I tried to re-start (it did this once before a few years ago) but this time it didn't restart.

I pulled the air cleaner cover and saw a hole in the filter and the pop-off valve was in pieces.

I haven't taken the air box off yet but that is next if I can't get the old pop-off valve out. It looks like the engine builder sealed the air box (and the pop-off valve) with some kind of "goop". Fun times...

Kansas 914

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Well, better than the box blowing up...You should be able to pry the base out.. Usually the whole thing pops out... Happy 4th of July
Kansas 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 4 2020, 12:15 PM) *

Well, better than the box blowing up...You should be able to pry the base out.. Usually the whole thing pops out... Happy 4th of July

Hi Jeff,

Yep - I hope the box isn't blown. I will work on the pop-off valve and see how it goes.

Happy 4th of July to you and Suzie - cheers!

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Put the toilet seat back on ......see if it starts.
Maybe put something on top of it to keep it seated
914Toy
Also check the cross-over black rubber boot was not blown off the throttle body or the fuel injection module.
rgalla9146
Put the toilet seat back on and see if it starts.
Maybe put something on top of it to keep it seated.
A big backfire is usually caused by a lean condition.
If the plenum survived (fingers crossed) check fifth injector, points and the other usual
suspects
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 4 2020, 01:25 PM) *

Put the toilet seat back on and see if it starts.
Maybe put something on top of it to keep it seated.
A big backfire is usually caused by a lean condition.
If the plenum survived (fingers crossed) check fifth injector, points and the other usual
suspects

It did start with the toilet seat on and weighted down - but ran poorly then died.
windforfun
Too many spicy tacos. Happens to me all the time.
sixnotfour
Got Gas ? in da tank.. $th of july
Kansas 914
The old pop-off valve is SECURELY glued in place. I may have to remove the airbox (and all the other associated goodies).

It doesn't look like fun.

I am reading some articles on the Bird Board now - ugh. I love my Type 4 motors even more now...
sixnotfour
Type 4 sale.... dont come home with one..REDRUM..
Pulling the CIS assm. on a 914 is way easier than a 911... popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour
Just throw Carbs on it.. idea.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif popcorn[1].gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 4 2020, 03:08 PM) *

Type 4 sale.... dont come home with one..REDRUM..
Pulling the CIS assm. on a 914 is way easier than a 911... popcorn[1].gif

Thanks Jeff,

I was going to ask you if it is easier in a 914 than a 911. My only problem when reading the "how to" thread on Pelican everything will have to be reversed (right side = left side). smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 4 2020, 03:11 PM) *

I had thought about ITBs and Megasquirt....... But my wallet ran out of the room.
porschetub
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jul 5 2020, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 4 2020, 03:11 PM) *

I had thought about ITBs and Megasquirt....... But my wallet ran out of the room.

Shit that was a big bang...blew the hinges on the flap right off sad.gif .
Check to see the plenum runners are still tight on the heads,they are known to loosen up on the gaskets and leak.
Good luck sorting this,guess its about finding the cause after the airbox is fixed,hopefully no further damage done.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 4 2020, 03:49 PM) *

Shit that was a big bang...blew the hinges on the flap right off sad.gif .
Check to see the plenum runners are still tight on the heads,they are known to loosen up on the gaskets and leak.
Good luck sorting this,guess its about finding the cause after the airbox is fixed,hopefully no further damage done.

Thanks for the suggestion to check the runners - I will do that.

I agree - I hope there was no further damage.

I am under the gun to get this fixed since Red Rocks Classic is being held here (Durango) in September and I have never worked on CIS before.
Kansas 914
@sixnotfour

Jeff - I did as you suggested and got the pop off valve out.

The new on is on the way (next week probably).

What adhesive do you like to install the new POV? I have some Honda Bond HT but I think that stays "rubbery" after it cures.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Did you notice,It was actually 180 out of proper flapping flow ?
Any thing is good but if it backfires, you need to check the seal, Ive seen em pop out ,instead of breaking a few times,,,
Kansas 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 7 2020, 01:07 PM) *

Did you notice,It was actually 180 out of proper flapping flow ?
Any thing is good but if it backfires, you need to check the seal, Ive seen em pop out ,instead of breaking a few times,,,

Thanks!

I have seen them installed both ways and didn't know which way was right.
rgalla9146
The hinge should be at the rear of the plenum closest to the cooling fan to allow full action.
Prepare all mating surfaces with acetone. Be certain surfaces are free of oil or contamination
Mix JB weld according to instruction and apply only to outer rim of valve tube.
This prevents glue from entering intake.
Press valve square into plenum being certain it is fully seated.
Allow glue to fully harden before starting.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 7 2020, 03:44 PM) *

The hinge should be at the rear of the plenum closest to the cooling fan to allow full action.
Prepare all mating surfaces with acetone. Be certain surfaces are free of oil or contamination
Mix JB weld according to instruction and apply to outer rim of valve tube.
This prevents glue from entering intake.
Press valve square into plenum being certain it is fully seated.
Allow glue to fully harden before starting.

Thanks!

I will get this one in the correct way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.