Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recognize this Camshaft?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
As I understand, this is not stock (bolt-on gear). Anyone recognize the brand and/or model?
Mark Henry
Aftermarket cams are usually marked on the oil pump drive, take a pic of the other side of the cam gear.
The cam timing gear is a standard replacement bolt on type for an aftermarket cam, stock cam/gears are riveted.
Mark Henry
Looked again, I can't tell if those are rivets or bolts?

If rivets with that cam gear it's a stock replacement cam. I see this a lot with T1 stock cams, but honestly I've never used a "OE" style stock replacement cam for T4.
Superhawk996
Definately looks like threaded ends to me protruding though the cam - 99% sure those are aftermarket bolts.

Don't be surprised if you can't ID the cam.

I have a very similar situation from my GA004310 engine. It definately is aftermarket with bolt on gear.

Mine has no identifying marks on the cam that have turned up any matches to the typical cam suppliers (Web, Elgin,etc.). There were lots of suppliers for Type 4 stuff back in the 80's and 90's many of which have gone under since then. In my case, it could have been any number of aftermarket cams.

Doesn't really matter going forward since what came out doesn't matter but I do understand the curiosity.
bkrantz
Mark, no numbers or anything on the front side of the gear, which is bolted on.

Any reasonable and accurate way to measure the profile? Or just look for a stock cam, since I plan to keep the stock FI?
barefoot
If you have a dial or digital calipers, measure lobe ht & base circle ,I have done this to 3 cams, so may be able to help.
bkrantz
Casting on the shaft looks like CWC. I measured the lift as best I could, and got about .318 for the intake and .306 for the exhaust. Thus far from stock, and probably not compatible with the stock FI.
Superhawk996
FWIW I my unidentified cam has the same CWC marking along with a host of others, but, in my case, my cam lifts looks a lot more like stock profile according to D Elgin site.

I would suspect the CWC is perhaps a maker mark from whomever is making the raw cam castings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.