Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 Cyl vs. 6 cyl power-to-weight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
digit3
I have never owned a 914. Starting to kick around the idea of getting one.

Wondering what kind of weight difference is there between say a 2.0 four cylinder car versus a modified car sporting a 911 six cylinder motor?

What kind of power can a hopped up four banger put out?

Thanks!
mepstein

Try to drive one before you get caught up in the numbers. Even my 70hp four puts a big smile on my face when I drive it. So does my 240hp six but I would rather have the 1.7 four than most any other model car. driving.gif

welcome.png
Superhawk996
agree.gif

If your looking for raw acceleration, you're looking in the wrong place. Almost any modern EV is faster 0-60 than a 914.

914's are all about light weight and handling. There are very few modern cars that have the light weight, nibble feel, and direct road feel (both steering and brakes) that a 914 offers.

Drive one 1st before getting lost in a numbers game.

welcome.png
Mark Henry
I have a high power /6 and have had/driven lots of /4's, I love them all.
Personally I wouldn't build a /6 today because of cost. I also wouldn't recommend buying a high power /6 as your first 914, as you can get into trouble PDQ, I recommend a lot of seat time in a /4 before you go with a /6. My "seat time" experience has saved my ass (and the car) twice since getting my /6 built.

Also these cars are tiny, I prefer the bright jelly bean colours, just because they're easier to see and be seen.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(digit3 @ Jul 5 2020, 08:32 AM) *

I have never owned a 914. Starting to kick around the idea of getting one.

Wondering what kind of weight difference is there between say a 2.0 four cylinder car versus a modified car sporting a 911 six cylinder motor?

What kind of power can a hopped up four banger put out?

Thanks!

Stock 2.0L - 95hp more like max 90hp
2056 with upgraded cam, heads etc-125hp$$
2278 with upgrades-175hp $$$

Stock 6- 110hp- $$$$
3.0L 6- 180hp-200hp $$$$$
Coondog
Let me make it simple for you
Stock 4 cylinder....I want to pass that car, hope I can make it.
Stock 6 cylinder....Didn’t even have to think about it.
roblav1
Building up a nice 6 is expensive. I could sell my newly built one for more than my other vehicles. A low power car will teach you proper driving techniques much better than high power car... things like traffic anticipation and using less brakes.
thelogo
While most any 914 is extremely capable

Seems like most . or all 6/ conversions guy do not suffer regret.

Unless they keep track of the cost that is

And no matter what engine . the trans can be more of a limiting factor for some new to vw or 914 wub.gif

That would be my advice to any new 914 owner
Get the shifter, trans ,cvs sorted 1st
Then put a beast engine in .lol
ClayPerrine
We have a somewhat modified /4, a stock factory six, and a highly modified high horsepower /6.

The nicest one to drive is the /4. With stock sway bars, koni adjustable shocks, and a "slightly" massaged, fuel injected engine that makes about 125 to 130 hp, it is the most pleasant, lightweight, nimble car around. It definitely out corners and out accelerates the factory six with 110 hp, no sway bars and taller tires. Plus it has AC, which is an absolute necessity here in Texas in summer.

The highly modified six is a 914 taken to extremes. Eyeball flattening acceleration, and reasonably good handling (still needs chassis tuning). But it doesn't have AC (yet). But we spent mega-bucks to get it there from the original 73 2.0 that it started life with. It was, and is a fun toy. And I love working on it and making it even faster.

Don't get caught up in /4 vs /6 when choosing your car. There is a cornucopia of options for the 914, everything from a Subaru to a Chevy V8, to a Rotary to a Nissan V-6. Personally, I would love to put a VW W12 engine into a 914 chassis. But everyone knows I am totally insane......

I would suggest you buy the best 914 you can afford and drive it for a while. Go to a few 914 events, get to know the people, and get rides or drives in 914s that interest you. The decide where you want to go with yours.

Just my $.02 worth.

Clay

digit3
Thanks for all of the replies!

I have the opportunity to drive friend's '70 and '73 4 cyl cars to determine how the stock power and pretty much stock steering and suspension feel suit me. I will definitely do that and this should shed some light. I'd imagine I'll either be hooked by the bug or may look elsewhere.

I already have a mind numbingly fast H2O cooled P car. The 914 idea would be to get back to an old school feel and experience something that is exciting at 80 mph or on a tight twisty. My car pulls like nothing I've ever experienced but I think is missing some of the soul of being on the edge at lower speeds.

I appreciate the input so far!
914 Ranch
The -6 weighs in at 100 pounds more than a stock -4. It's kinda like having a 100 pound passenger in the passenger seat.
In my case my -6 weighs in at 1609 pounds which is only comparable to one -4. He has a 2600 cc -4 by Jake Raby. I believe that one of the sanctioning body's say a -4 should weighs in at 2243 pounds and a -6 is over 2300, but I am not sure how much. You can't tell anything from the numbers because it the state of tune that makes the car go.
It all depends on how much money you got.
And now a plug for my build thread. It's in the Paddock under AR-14...
RARE 6
QUOTE(digit3 @ Jul 5 2020, 02:55 PM) *

Thanks for all of the replies!

I have the opportunity to drive friend's '70 and '73 4 cyl cars to determine how the stock power and pretty much stock steering and suspension feel suit me. I will definitely do that and this should shed some light. I'd imagine I'll either be hooked by the bug or may look elsewhere.

I already have a mind numbingly fast H2O cooled P car. The 914 idea would be to get back to an old school feel and experience something that is exciting at 80 mph or on a tight twisty. My car pulls like nothing I've ever experienced but I think is missing some of the soul of being on the edge at lower speeds.

I appreciate the input so far!

I’ve spent the last 49 years telling people my mostly stock factory -6 is “quick” not “fast” and then explaining the difference. It’s all about handling and the driving experience, not brute force.
The things you can easily do to any 914...front sway bar, rear springs, torsion bars and shocks plus a little nose down stance adjustment...cost pocket change compared to horsepower and dramatically improve the driving experience. If I was jumping into the teener pool these days I’d buy the best unmodified one I could find and start with those easy and relatively inexpensive steps. If you then decide to “go big” horsepower-wise you’ll be prepared to handle the power.
Chris914n6
A 1.7 goes like a Prius.
A 2L FI is like a Gen1 Miata
A big -4 will have carbs and will likely annoy you having been spoiled by modern FI
A small -6 will have carbs and sound great, but will cost 10k
A big -6 is great, but holy crap the cost.
300hp is like a 911 Turbo
A V8 feels heavy.

I feel the sweet spot is ~200hp. 0-60 in 5.5s so it goes like a sports car. So I'm in the camp of a Subaru swap, 185-300 hp, modern shifting trans, easy A/C, low weight, no valve adjustments....

I really like my 200hp 3L Nissan V6, but it's not the easiest swap.
targa72e
my first 914 came with a 1.7 with a carb. I purchased it to do a 6 swap. Drove it for a short time with the 4 to make sure all the other systems work well, I was not impressed. I did the first conversion with a 6 a 2.4 MFI engine S pistons and E cams. This made the car much more fun to drive over the 4. Also built a short gear box with shorter 3rd and 4th gears This was fun enough to covert me to a 914 guy. I have (and have had ) many 911's to compare. I ended up selling the 2.4 engine and now have a friends 2.7 RS piston and mod S cams, weber carbed engine in the car. the car is very fun to drive and makes great sounds all the right feeling's. I have purchase 2 other 914s in the last year that are nice rust free cars that I plan to convert to 6's (I have a few engines). I plan on selling the car I have new that was my first build (can always do better second time around smile.gif and plan to build the car I want based on my experience. Current plan is for 2.7 twin plug, 10.5 to 1, probably DC40 or 60 cams, ITB EFI. I am still struggling with standard body or flares probably goin with out flares. realizing the sky is the limit in terms of HP a nice hot 2.7 is really a good match for the chassis. If you aspire for more it become exponentially more expensive with transmission swaps, chassis upgrades etc. If you really need more power there are plenty of later cars that can handle it much better. What ever you decide to do enjoy.

john
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 5 2020, 11:15 PM) *

A big -4 will have carbs and will likely annoy you having been spoiled by modern FI

Not necessarily. Fuel Injection will work on a big -4, but it will require some patient tweaking. Aftermarket EFI would be better, but it requires tuning to make it work right.

Clay
Tdskip
I drive my 1.7 ‘73 most as it feels the most vintage and fun around town...

colingreene
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jul 6 2020, 07:34 AM) *

is that also because its the only running 914 you have?
KELTY360
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jul 6 2020, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jul 6 2020, 07:34 AM) *

is that also because its the only running 914 you have?

av-943.gif
thelogo
I have to assume that in 75 a 2.0 /4 was a pretty quick car

But its not as fast as a kia/prius . now .

Id stay far away from the /6 because then you will wanna build it out to full /6 gt $$$$ poke.gif

I wouldn't have any gas money left
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.