Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: missing bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fatlando
I'm missing what looks like a bolt underneath the spark plug lead where it says number 3. What is it and is it important?

It sounds like a helicopter.
dmenche914
More specific please??? Size of bolt hole, location detail???
SirAndy
QUOTE (fatlando @ Jul 10 2005, 06:49 PM)
I'm missing what looks like a bolt underneath the spark plug lead where it says number 3. What is it and is it important?

It sounds like a helicopter.

huh? blink.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Allan
agree.gif Don't sound right..... confused24.gif
fatlando
work with me fellas, my digi cam is broke.

anyway it's underneath the intake manifolds where the spark plug goes into.

like an inch below the spark plug there is a round hole where a bolt looking thing with a hex nut on it.

to make you guys cringe more. when i turn off the lights, i can see a little flame pop out...and yes it sounds like a helicopter...

Rand
huh.gif
How long has it been sounding like a helicopter? Is this new?
fatlando
QUOTE (Rand @ Jul 10 2005, 07:19 PM)
huh.gif
How long has it been sounding like a helicopter? Is this new?

nope that sound is new. i'm thinking that's when the bolt came loose and fell off.

I'm not driving it until i replace it ....plus it will freak out the neighbors..
ClayPerrine
Is this a 75 or 76? If so, it's probably the air injection hole. IF so, you need to plug that thing. ohmy.gif
fatlando
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 10 2005, 07:28 PM)
Is this a 75 or 76? If so, it's probably the air injection hole. IF so, you need to plug that thing. ohmy.gif

it's a stock 2.0 from 1975. thanx for replying. are these bolts easy to find? There's a VW shop here in bremerton....maybe I can get one.

Rand
Has your car been de-smogged?
ClayPerrine
If the air pump is missing then you can replace it with a M8x1.25 bolt (IIRC). If the pump is still there and working, you need the air injector.

SGB
does your car not have sheet metal up around the plugs? I can't really see where the plugs screw into the heads, but from underneith, I already know the valve cover is prettty much right under the spark plug hole, so I dunno zactly where you're talking about. Is the bolt that you talk about under the other plugs?
fatlando
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 10 2005, 07:33 PM)
If the air pump is missing then you can replace it with a M8x1.25 bolt (IIRC). If the pump is still there and working, you need the air injector.

i'm a rock. can you show me what these look like? and what's with the flame?
fatlando
QUOTE (SGB @ Jul 10 2005, 07:39 PM)
does your car not have sheet metal up around the plugs? I can't really see where the plugs screw into the heads, but from underneith, I already know the valve cover is prettty much right under the spark plug hole, so I dunno zactly where you're talking about. Is the bolt that you talk about under the other plugs?

yeah they are...it looks like a bolt with a hex nut at the end. what it is, i don't know but am slowly learning. When I turn the lights off a small flame emits from the hole.

thanx
ClayPerrine
I can't tonight. I have to get to bed. I will post something on this tomorrow evening.

Rand
If you have a Haynes manual, read pages 57-60. If you don't have one, get one.

If all of your emissions control crap is still in place, then a connection to the air injector has come loose and needs to be restored. The scary part is... just how did it come loose??? If it has been removed then it needs to be capped.

Here's a photo of mine, which is DE-smogged and capped. Is this the area in question??

user posted image
Dead Air
Sell it, I mean, right now. Your family is in danger!!! ohmy.gif
fatlando
QUOTE (Rand @ Jul 10 2005, 08:03 PM)

If all of your emissions control crap is still in place, then a connection to the air injector has come loose and needs to be restored. The scary part is... just how did it come loose??? If it has been removed then it needs to be capped.

Here's a photo of mine, which is DE-smogged and capped. Is this the area in question??

user posted image

that's the culprit! right there! what to do now? what is it? and why did it come loose? any ideas???

thanx alot fellas and fellets!
SirAndy
QUOTE (fatlando @ Jul 10 2005, 10:41 PM)
what is it? any ideas???

yes ...

as mentioned 3 times in posts above, it's the air-injector from your smog-crap-o-la ...

if your motor is still stock, meaning it still has the smog equipment, something just came lose (a hose most likely) and you need to put it back on there.

if your engine has been de-smogged (read, stripped of all the smog equipment) you need to plug that port (or in your case, find the plug that blew off)

smash.gif Andy
Allan
I plugged mine with old valve adjustment screws. Perfect fit. Just JB welded them in...
SLITS
QUOTE (fatlando @ Jul 10 2005, 08:01 PM)
work with me fellas, my digi cam is broke.

anyway it's underneath the intake manifolds where the spark plug goes into.

like an inch below the spark plug there is a round hole where  a bolt looking thing with a hex nut on it.

to make you guys cringe more.  when i turn off the lights, i can see a little flame pop out...and yes it sounds like a helicopter...

user posted image

This image shows the two air injection ports that are closed when the smog equipment is removed. These are direct holes to the exhaust port.
fatlando
QUOTE (Rand @ Jul 10 2005, 08:03 PM)

user posted image

What size bolt should I use to replace the missing valve stem. I intend to jb weld this sucka tonight.

Thanx to all for your assistance.
Rand
Well hows that for timing... an old thread on this just got resurrected...
Mueller's how-to
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.