Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine fires questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Trying to learn more on this because of the recent post of the 914 fire. I assumbe the fires usually start down near the fuel pump where the hoses/clamps are found is that correct? Also how about on top of the engine is that a big concern also or not so much of a concern?
Steve
QUOTE(brcacti @ Jul 7 2020, 05:03 PM) *

Trying to learn more on this because of the recent post of the 914 fire. I assumbe the fires usually start down near the fuel pump where the hoses/clamps are found is that correct? Also how about on top of the engine is that a big concern also or not so much of a concern?

Any where there is a brittle line, there could be a fire. Porsche did a voluntary recall on our cars to replace the lines on the fuel injection back in the late 70's. Fuel injection is high pressure, anytime you have a break, it will spray everywhere. I remember a nice fuel fountain in front of my battery in the early 80's. Thanks god it didn't catch fire. The key is to check all fuel lines including the tunnel and make sure they are new and not cracked. Most of us have replaced the center tunnel with SS lines and proper fuel injection hoses everywhere else.
Coondog
One of the things that make 914 fires more difficult to put out is the engine tins. Your basically fighting two fires. One on top and one underneath your car where the fuel ran to. As far as any magnesium components that may catch fire your really in a world of hurt. Class D fire extinguishers are really your only choice and those are to big to fit in our cars. They would also need to be put directly on the magnesium burning to coat it thus smothering the fire. Problem with that is you can’t get to those areas with your car on fire.
thelogo
Didn't one guy have a fire system in his engine bay that automatically snuff s out the fire .before it gets to the mag stuff and is crazy hott
preach
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 7 2020, 08:59 PM) *

Didn't one guy have a fire system in his engine bay that automatically snuff s out the fire .before it gets to the mag stuff and is crazy hott

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2831650
Superhawk996
I want to be sensitive to the gentleman that lost his car to the fire. I have no idea what caused his fire and don't intend this post to reflect on that situation.

Setting aside the obvious; inspect your fuel lines. Replace dry damaged fuel lines. Replace the plastic lines that are in the tunnel as was previously posted.

The most generalized advice I can provide is to know what type of hose and clamps you're using for fuel line applications. All rubber hose is not created equal and the cheap stuff you buy off the spool at your local FLAPS probably is not appropriate for fuel injection and may quickly be degraded by heat and/or ethanol.

Rather than trying to post a dissertation here is a good starting guide.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2014/12/05...-should-not-use

Not really related to 914's but there are also different hose ratings depending on whether the fuel line is submerged in fuel as it would be in a modern gas tank with the fuel pump submerged.

Do your research, know what type of fuel line you're buying.

With respect to hose clamps - use the proper clamps intended for fuel injection.

I cringe when I see pictures on this site of fuel systems with worm style hose clamps. You may get away with these on low pressure carb systems, but, why chance it.

Be safe out there.
cary
Pay close attention to your fuel injectors.
Both the hose and the injector itself.

In my shop I'm beginning to write the date on the
hose when it was changed. Silver Sharpie.
iankarr
Totally agree with all these points. Let me also add that people running carbs should check the condition of the lead plugs/slugs used for casting. I had one pop out of a weber and spill gas all over the hot engine. Thankfully it never ignited, but it was sooooo close. Literally saw wisps of smoky vapor rising from a pool of fuel on the the engine. Found the plug and tapped it back in, followed by some JB weld to make sure it stayed there.
rhodyguy
agree.gif 100% on the plugs. I had one come out. Had I been on a freeway no doubt my car would have burned.
thelogo
QUOTE(preach @ Jul 7 2020, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 7 2020, 08:59 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2831650

piratenanner.gif

Goodness gracious no mo great balls of fire
wub.gif
iamchappy
I put an onboard fire system into my car, there not that expensive and easy to install, get the fire out before it becomes a problem and keeps it from re-igniting.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.as...yID=FIRESYSTEMS
rgalla9146

TODAY !
Big fuel leak upon start up on my carburared car.
Football size puddle under running car.
Review whole delivery / return system
VaccaRabite
Happens on modern cars too.
I had an O-ring fail on one of the fuel injectors for my WRX. It was slow cranking and when I got out of the car to see if anything obvious was wrong I smelled and then saw a BIG puddle of fuel under the car. The injector O-ring had likely been failing for years but slowly as I'd get occasionally slow crank to fire on start up and would get whiffs of gas int he cabin while idling.

While my 914 had carbs, I had a float stick once which had fuel overflowing and pouring onto the engine. That was a close call. Same set of carbs I noticed 2 of the plugs were weeping gas, no bueno. I drilled out all 4 plugs and tapped the bungs for NPT plugs.

Zach
dr914@autoatlanta.com
seems that when the engine gets super hot while running, and a fuel leak occurs, the mixture of the hot hot air and the fuel spray literally causes and explosion and fire in the engine compartment which is hard to put out. Always prudent to carry a large fire extinguisher co2 or halon NOT powder, as powder ruins anything it touches and makes a mess of things.

preach
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 8 2020, 10:59 AM) *

Yep. I almost lost my Cayman when the Y on the fuel rail lines split. Leaking fuel directly over my driver;s header.

IPB Image
Coondog
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 8 2020, 08:02 AM) *

seems that when the engine gets super hot while running, and a fuel leak occurs, the mixture of the hot hot air and the fuel spray literally causes and explosion and fire in the engine compartment which is hard to put out. Always prudent to carry a large fire extinguisher co2 or halon NOT powder, as powder ruins anything it touches and makes a mess of things.

So not true, just wash it off ASAP. Plus you got bigger issues if your 914 is on fire to worry about a mess. Halon and Co2 just removes the o2 but does nothing to keep the vapors from reigniting in a open air environment. I have been on too many vehicle fires where the owners pissed on it with Halon or Co2 then watched there car continue to burn.
Both are great for electrical fires but not fuel fires.

My set up. Purple K for fuel fires and Halon for electrical

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I just ordered a 10 lb. Buckeye Purple K for my car. Thanks Greg @coondog . beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jul 8 2020, 11:55 AM) *

My set up. Purple K for fuel fires and Halon for electrical

Click to view attachment

Just being an A-hole. What if the fire starts in the Frunk? biggrin.gif

In all seriousness -- Thanks for the heads up on the Purple K.
Coondog
Then I am Fuched..... hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(preach @ Jul 8 2020, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 8 2020, 10:59 AM) *

Yep. I almost lost my Cayman when the Y on the fuel rail lines split. Leaking fuel directly over my driver;s header.

IPB Image

I saw this post a while back and last time I had my engine cover off worried about this fitting. I want to say that this fitting is on the 981 and not on the 987? Sorry for the highjack question.

I agree with using the right fuel lines that are nitril lined and the right hose clamps and inspect always.
preach
That Y is on a 987.1. It turns out that you have to replace the whole fuel rail system as that Y is affixed to the 3 hoses with german voodoo magic. At the time we could not source one here in the US so it had to be shipped from Germany.
StarBear
Another question: Is the 2.5lb Halaton extinguisher that I carry (1.8L w/FI), sufficient given the recent experience, or bump up to a 5lb Purple K? Seeking to take care of most likely instances, not necessary a full firenato situation.
Coondog
Put both of them in your car. Halon for elec. I would bump up to a 10 pound purple K.
JamesM
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 7 2020, 06:46 PM) *

Let me also add that people running carbs should check the condition of the lead plugs/slugs used for casting.

YUP!!! Only engine fire I have ever seen first hand in a 914 was caused by this. Thankfully it was at an autocross where we were able to quickly flag the driver and had extinguishers on hand.

Still made a big old mess of the car though.

and +1 on the Halon. It only seems expensive until you need it, then its worth every penny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.