Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transaxle Reseal Dilemma
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
My '74 2.0 leaks transaxle gear oil, so I want to pull the transmission (JUST THE TRANSMISSION) and redo all the seals. Having a very small garage, I must remove the tranny in my driveway, then put the car back in the garage while I do the seals at my leisure. Question: can I push the car back into the garage with dangling axles; what do I do with them, support them somehow? Also, is there a way to support the weight of the engine while I roll the car back into the garage? Trying to avoid leaving the car out in the elements while I do this job, as I have never done seals before and don't know how long its going to take me if I run into problems. Need advice badly. Thanks.

Ansbacher
JFG
There are holes with plugs in in the crossmember in the boot floor. If you can get some good solid wire such as a clothes hangar you can hook them up to those holes.
brant
is your clutch wet when you look in the window on the top of the bell housing?

do you know where your leaking at?

the front main, requires pulling the trans
but the side output shaft seals and rear speedo drive seal can be addressed with the trans in the car....

a lot less work than pulling everything
but then again, that front main seal there is no easy way around it.
mepstein
I don't think you will have to add any additional engine support since the lower crossbar will still be attached to the engine and the car.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 8 2020, 11:51 AM) *

I don't think you will have to add any additional engine support since the lower crossbar will still be attached to the engine and the car.

The crossbar supports the front of the motor the trans supports the rear, so you have to somehow suspend the flywheel end of the motor before you can move the car around. If you just let it hang by the front motor mounts the weight of the motor will break them.
Ansbacher
Brant: It is leaking from the front seal, so it has to come out.

Others: Since there is a difference of opinion as to supporting the engine, I will err on the side of caution and find a way to support the rear better.

Thanks all.

Ansbacher
TheCabinetmaker
Jonathan said it right! The rear of the engine must be supported or you will rip the motor mounts, and bend the pick up points on the ends of the mount bar. If your going to move the car, pull the whole drive train, then seperate the two. Then you can clean the engine and engine bay too. Axles can hang when rolling, new problem.
brant
crud... sorry its the front main seal
a lot more work.

rgalla9146
Remove the starter first.
Remove the muffler
You can support the engine by extending wire from the rear trans mounts down and
around the hear exchangers.
The driveshafts can be left to rest on the heat exchangers.
If you remove the driveshafts ( which will ease trans removal) with the stubaxle
attached do not roll the car.
If you must roll the car seperate the stubaxles and reinstall in the hubs and tighten
the 32mm (?) nut.
iamchappy
5" Cardboard tube works well over the axles.
Ansbacher
More great input. Thanks all.

Iamchappy: I do not understand the cardboard tube suggestion. Please elaborate. Thanks.

Ansbacher
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 8 2020, 06:16 PM) *

More great input. Thanks all.

Iamchappy: I do not understand the cardboard tube suggestion. Please elaborate. Thanks.

Ansbacher

I'll chime in...done this several times.
Support the rear of the engine from underneath using a 2x4 (43 inches long iirc) crossways held on each end with either chain or ratchet straps around the suspension ears. Jam in a square of 2x4 or 1x4 if needed under the rear of the oil pan.
Another way to support the rear of the engine from the topside is to put a bolt through the neatly provided hole at the rear top of the case. Attach a bit of chain then feed a long ratchet strap (wide one) with hooks all the way up & over the rear firewall inside the trunk to the support at the center rear of the trunk where the trunk lid latch is...

For the half shafts, cut a 2 liter plastic bottle cross wise to make 3 inch wide rings--slip them over the half shafts and hang them with rope or straps strung across the top of the rear springs so the shafts remain horizontal--then you can roll the car without the cv shafts flopping around.
Viola!!

John
KELTY360
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Jul 8 2020, 01:02 PM) *

Jonathan said it right! The rear of the engine must be supported or you will rip the motor mounts, and bend the pick up points on the ends of the mount bar. If your going to move the car, pull the whole drive train, then seperate the two. Then you can clean the engine and engine bay too. Axles can hang when rolling, new problem.

agree.gif I did this once and found that it was as much work, if not more to pull just the tranny as opposed to the whole engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.