Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Personal methods of removing old petrol?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
macnichol
I’d like the know what methods you guys use for removing old gas from the fuel tank? I don’t have access to a lift as of yet so that is out. I want to avoid using the cars fuel pump, I’d be worried about running air through it accidentally. Is it possible I can just add enough fresh gas to dilute the old varnish like stuff?
mepstein
I jack up the car, remove a hose from the bottom of the tank and drain into a large oil change bucket.
GeorgeRud
Get some fuel line and a small electric pump to pump it out.
barefoot
Siphon in out like we used to do in High School when we couldn't afford to buy gas smile.gif
bdstone914
Harbor Freight sells a battery operated transfer pump for about $10. I have used them to pump out vinegar when cleaning tanks. They are rated for flamable liquids.
You do need to remove the filler neck.
How full is the tank?
Alapone
I recently replaced my gas tank, I had to remove about 6 gal of gasoline. After trying the old school siphon method (1 mouthful of gasoline and a call to poison control later) I bought a plumbers hand siphon pump like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Plumbers-Siphon-Pro-..._=fsclp_pl_dp_1

worked well job done in 10 min.
Front yard mechanic
I use an old external 12 volt fuel pump and some plastic hose works fast
914werke
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 9 2020, 06:59 AM) *
Harbor Freight sells a battery operated transfer pump for about $10. They are rated for flamable liquids.
You do need to remove the filler neck.

agree.gif
I only once ended up with a mouth full of gas ...it was the last time. icon8.gif barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.