Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Value of my engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Delete.
Cairo94507
I am sorry to heat that Ben. Is that a $15K engine or more? If I needed one or had another 914, I would snap it up because I know how you build stuff plus Henry at Supertec is one of the best. Good luck and I hope you resolve this w/o having to sell the motor. beerchug.gif
Coondog
Questions you have to answer on the cabin.

What’s my equity today vs 10 years from now

What’s my yearly cost on the cabin going to be

How often am I going to spend time there

Is it cheaper to stay in a hotel

Did I build the cabin as a retirement home to enjoy as I get older

Don’t know if your married but what does your wife say. Cabin or engine ?

Was this the motor going in your car ?

Porsche motors are a dime a dozen of course rebuilding the right way is $$$$$
mb911
The cabin is built on family land and our boys wanted it.. We don't go there much.. Our kids would be sad..
Coondog
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 9 2020, 03:29 PM) *

The cabin is built on family land and our boys wanted it.. We don't go there much.. Our kids would be sad..

You just answered your own question
Superhawk996
Ben sorry to hear that you are in this position.

I'm a terrible judge of value on an engine. I can vouch for the excessive costs to machine a 2.4L case. I have in excess of $7500 in my 2.4L case maching, rebuilding the heads completely, and having a set of rods reconditioned.

Still looking at $4k for P&C's. Very easy to spend $2K on miscellaneous hardware (studs, head nuts, washers, gasket kits, bearings, etc.)

I just looked at cost of Carbs vs ITB FI closely and concluded that it is a $3k endeavour to do a set of Weber carbs properly and about $5.5 to do ITB FI with PMO ITB's & Megasquirt.

A six is not a cheap endeavour for anyone in doubt.

I'd keep in mind, a house is typically and appreciating asset as previously mentioned. An engine depreciates every time it is run.
mb911
I just need to sell like 30 sets of heat exchangers right now..
Superhawk996
new_shocked.gif
restore2seater
Another consideration is the time it takes to get the money in your bank account. Which would be more likely to sell quick enough for whatever time frame you need for the money. Would the sell of the cabin possibly take longer going through all the paper work compared to selling the engine? Would it take longer to sell the engine on one of the forums compared to what ever the housing market is for your cabin?
infraredcalvin
Can’t quite tell if the motor parts were coordinated by Henry and assembled by someone else or if Henry built the motor and you have the documentation to prove it. Big cost differential either way.

I’m not tracking, but I am noticing that the larger engines 3.2 and up seem to be the easier sale these days. Are you prepared to sit on either for some time and wait for them to sell?

Any opportunity to take a cash out refi on the cabin? Rates are low enough that it my get you past your financial hurdles.
IronHillRestorations
If you could get the engine to a dyno and get some verified power output, it would be a valuable selling tool.

From the hip, I'd say $10,000-$16,000 if you find the right buyer. Probably cost $20k to replicate
Chris914n6
The engine would be easy to replace. The family memories... not so much.

Coondog
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 9 2020, 03:49 PM) *

I just need to sell like 30 sets of heat exchangers right now..

Call James Patrick and give him a offer he can’t refuse. I have told him 1000 times yours blows the doors off Billy Boats HE.
mb911
Delete
wes
As mentioned above refinancing is very favorable right now with the best rates I’ve seen throughout my lifetime, brokers bagging for loans. I’d seriously recommend that route.
gms
where is the cabin located? is it on a lake or river?
mb911
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 13 2020, 07:03 AM) *

where is the cabin located? is it on a lake or river?

Glenn its in Gillett WI on a lake..
gms
too far way for me sad.gif
rhodyguy
Reality, regardless. You answered your question.
Ian Stott
How do I access your build thread?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
SteveL
The engine is nice, but can be replaced with another that will have a different serial #, which in this case doesn't matter.
You cannot replace family land. That is a legacy. hopefully someday your great-great grandchildren will be teaching their kids to fish there.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jul 13 2020, 09:32 AM) *

How do I access your build thread?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

To quote a very wise man, "Search is your friend". type.gif http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=269606&hl=
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(SteveL @ Jul 13 2020, 12:55 PM) *

The engine is nice, but can be replaced with another that will have a different serial #, which in this case doesn't matter.
You cannot replace family land. That is a legacy. hopefully someday your great-great grandchildren will be teaching their kids to fish there.

agree.gif
you owe nothing on it so at worse if you think in 12-18 months you can make back what you need for cash flow now, look at equity loan or refinance type situation , interest is so low right now! I don't know about WI, although I have relatives around there I know MN being my original home and my sister is a Realtor in MN, their lake front land is highly taxed. here in SC we have very low taxes for first home but second or investment property or if you are out of state owner you get hit harder. if your tax burden is not high, keep it for now, fastest way to the $$ is the finance option.

Good Luck,

Phil
mepstein
Sometimes less is more. beerchug.gif
Tdskip
Putting the property aside for a moment, as well as my reluctance to get into anyone else's business, but could you run a group buy or special to move a bunch of parts? Cut a deal with a distributor?

Engines generally sell under build cost, and the market is all about 3.0+ engines now.
JOEPROPER
Refinance the cabin and defer the payments out 6-12 months or so. Interest rates are very low right now. When you're back on your feet, keep the low interest loan as long as it takes. Cheap money is the best kind. Good luck Ben!
mb911
Thanks for all the input. Gonna try to keep engine.. Our cabin is located between my other family land so I still can go there. We as a family need to downsize anyway.. Not to get into any details but this whole thing is flat out craziness anyway.. Our family is just fine. No job loss or divorce..
Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 13 2020, 06:26 PM) *

Thanks for all the input. Gonna try to keep engine.. Our cabin is located between my other family land so I still can go there. We as a family need to downsize anyway.. Not to get into any details but this whole thing is flat out craziness anyway.. Our family is just fine. No job loss or divorce..

Hang in there Ben.
mb911
Delete
914forme
@MB911 Ben PM me, we can work something out, I am downsizing my hoard so its good timing.
Superhawk996
@mb911

Glad to hear things are shaping up for you and under control. piratenanner.gif
mb911
Well as good as can be at the moment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.