Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire prevention.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Toy
After seeing the awful fire story this week, I decided to upgrade the fuel lines in my 914 engine bay. So from where the Tangerine SS fuel line emerges from the tunnel into the engine bay, I removed my system of: generic rubber fuel lines with screw clamps, fuel regulator with fuel gauge, and intakes from the Weber carbs, from my 2.7 liter 911 engine. Took this assembly to Mesa Hose in Costa Mesa, CA, and had them replace the hoses and clamps and install threaded connections, and weld up threaded connections on the carb inlets. The pic shows the assembly before installing, with the left hand hose end to be connected to the tunnel fuel line, and the other two ends to be thread connected to the racing style welded Weber carb intakes shown in the pic. The fuel line has a teflon inner and outer shell with a SS braided tube sandwiched between the teflon inner and outer tubes. There is also a reusable inline filter that can be removed and flush/cleaned. These guys know what they are doing. So I feel the $295 spent was well worth it.

Click to view attachment
thelogo
Definitely grade a work
Like all your stuff . but . so many factors in these fires

This is great preventive step . but how about a fuel
Cut off too ?
Vysoc
Very nice and thorough!!!

Safe travels!

Vysoc flag.gif
brant
Make sure the pressure gauge is mounted on the chassis so it’s weight is not on the like (which vibrates as the motor rocks on its mounts)

I’ve seen metal fittings crack from vibrations
I’ve seen a fuel gauge that wasn’t properly mounted and isolated start a motor fire. A crack in the fitting became a high pressure spray and took the motor with it
slivel
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 11 2020, 07:49 AM) *

Make sure the pressure gauge is mounted on the chassis so it’s weight is not on the like (which vibrates as the motor rocks on its mounts)

I’ve seen metal fittings crack from vibrations
I’ve seen a fuel gauge that wasn’t properly mounted and isolated start a motor fire. A crack in the fitting became a high pressure spray and took the motor with it

Yes mount on bulkhead. This has served me well for many years.
Click to view attachment
914Toy
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 9 2020, 09:31 PM) *

Definitely grade a work
Like all your stuff . but . so many factors in these fires

This is great preventive step . but how about a fuel
Cut off too ?

I have a fuel cut-off valve between the fuel tank and fuel filter in the frunk, easily accessible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.