Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 2.0 1976 for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
gturner008
https://www.elferspot.com/en/search/series/914/

So I’ve (with a heavy heart) decided to try and sell my 914.

All the details and 110 photos are in the Elferspot listing.

$74,950 US.

39k miles. One former owner. Mint. Totally original. Unmarked throughout.

A lot of money - I grant you. But it’s right up there with the best available.

If it does not sell - I’ll be very happy to keep it.

I’ve spend many many days and weeks detailing it and getting it 100% spot on.

Wish me luck. It’s the white 2.0.
Jett
QUOTE(gturner008 @ Jul 10 2020, 04:38 AM) *

$74,950 US.

Nice car and good luck. The site has some nice cars!
JOEPROPER
Didn't you just buy that car? For like $20k? or something. Nice payday.
JeffBowlsby
Post the window sticker please. How about the COA?
mepstein
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Jul 10 2020, 11:08 AM) *

Didn't you just buy that car? For like $20k? or something. Nice payday.

mrholland2
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 10 2020, 08:15 AM) *

Must be a descendant of PT Barnum. av-943.gif
73-914
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Jul 10 2020, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 10 2020, 08:15 AM) *

Must be a descendant of PT Barnum. av-943.gif

I agree poke.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
914_7T3
Reserve was not met, see BAT auction link here

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-porsche-914-26/

I would cut the seller some slack and GLWTS!

JOEPROPER
I'm not bustin chops. Just surprised. God bless him.
Cairo94507
I mean we all know flippers exist. I do not begrudge them a profit, but triple what they paid for it in just 3 months seems a bit much. They could ask double what they have into it and still be doing very well. Just my thoughts- not that anyone asked. beerchug.gif
nditiz1
confused24.gif Congrats on keeping it?
JamesM
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 10 2020, 12:17 PM) *

I mean we all know flippers exist. I do not begrudge them a profit, but triple what they paid for it in just 3 months seems a bit much. They could ask double what they have into it and still be doing very well. Just my thoughts- not that anyone asked. beerchug.gif

I will... Flippers are the worst. They drive up the price of the hobby and make it difficult to grab deals all to make a quick buck for themselves.

Not saying that is the case here, but just in general Flippers are the worst!!!!
brcacti
People who really know cars can make a fortune. I am not even a mechanic and have made thousands just buying and selling after minor repairs or just washing vehicles in the past.
914Next
QUOTE(gturner008 @ Jul 10 2020, 06:38 AM) *

$74,950 US.

GLWTS.....that is absolutely top dollar but if the car is as clean as you say, it is certainly a $50k+ car.

iankarr
I wish the seller the best of luck with this sale. If his car sells for 75K, I'll need to call my insurance company and up my agreed value.
73-914
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 12 2020, 10:17 PM) *

I wish the seller the best of luck with this sale. If his car sells for 75K, I'll need to call my insurance company and up my agreed value.

I think we all will have to make the same call
Jett
QUOTE(73-914 @ Jul 13 2020, 05:00 AM) *

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 12 2020, 10:17 PM) *

I think we all will have to make the same call

I made the call and was shocked at the replacement value, but appreciated the adjustment. The insurance company brought in an estimator to inspect the cars, but they were very fair... I think BAT prices help, if the car is highly restored or original.
CoronaMike
With a heavy heart. lol-2.gif

Congrats on being the proud owner of a super clean 76. You're gonna have it for a while.
patrick3000
QUOTE(brcacti @ Jul 12 2020, 09:00 PM) *

People who really know cars can make a fortune. I am not even a mechanic and have made thousands just buying and selling after minor repairs or just washing vehicles in the past.

beerchug.gif
burton73
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 10 2020, 09:31 PM) *

confused24.gif Congrats on keeping it?

Yes congrats on keeping her for a very long time!

Bob B
Front yard mechanic
I would rather have a heavy wallet than a heavy heart
gturner008
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hNjZ6tmTvxYNwiWf8

Hopefully this link works - to see detailed photos of my 914.

You’ll know on BaT the reserve was not met. It’s between the seller and me what I paid for the car.

I based what I think the car is worth to someone on recent BaT sale of another white 76 car with similar miles. But that car was repainted, and not in a very well cared for condition in my view. There were also recent high profile physical auctions where similar 914s were sold for more than $70k.

Hagarty Valuation too shows a steep upward curve for condition 1 914s - above $75k.

It will come down to what a buyer wants to pay. I don’t see too many 914s around and for sale in condition one standard.

I have the CoA, original window sticker, all books and brochures, invoice for the dealer fit radio cassette, Zierbart invoice and some history photos from the first owner in 1976 to 2015.

The car is amazing. Just back from a 200 mile round trip. New dampers fitted. New tires.

If it does not sell, then it’ll be staying in my garage - for me to enjoy and continue to cherish. I didn’t mean to offend anyone by offering it for sale at a high price. I respect people’s views - good bad and indifferent. Just trying to sell at what I believe is a seriously high quality, original, and perfect Porsche 914.
iankarr
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jul 13 2020, 05:05 PM) *

He's already got the heavy bumper, so....

I think the reception to this clearly special car would be better if the seller stopped talking about his heavy heart and how much he cherished it (since April) and simply said...look, I got a great deal on an amazing 914 and I'd like to flip it to a serious collector. Here's what I'm thinking...
gturner008
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 13 2020, 08:11 PM) *

Excellent. Heavy heart, wallet (maybe) and heavy bumpers for sure.
73-914
Wonder how much the import fee would be?
Rand
Reputation here matters. This smell is going to take a while to dissipate. I get flipping, but...
gturner008
QUOTE(73-914 @ Jul 13 2020, 08:33 PM) *

Wonder how much the import fee would be?

2.5% of bill of sale price I believe into the USA.
fiacra
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 13 2020, 07:11 PM) *

I think the reception to this clearly special car would be better if the seller stopped talking about his heavy heart and how much he cherished it (since April) and simply said...look, I got a great deal on an amazing 914 and I'd like to flip it to a serious collector. Here's what I'm thinking...

agree.gif

I think what makes some people uncomfortable is how much he leaned on this community to help him get his car to this condition. I went back and read all of his threads, and there was some serious time and thought put into trying to help out what people assumed was a fellow enthusiast. For some that feels like a betrayal as the general focus of 914World is to help each other get our cars sorted out and on the road for us to enjoy, not necessarily to try and flip them for a quick profit. If it had been stated up front that the intent was to try and flip the car for profit I don't think this would rankle so much. I'm not against buying, fixing, and selling cars, but for some reason this one does not pass the smell test....I just can't easily put my finger on why that is. confused24.gif
gturner008
Fair point. I get it.

Can I put it this way. I bought the car knowing it was an outstanding example. I didn’t have any intention of flipping it. I tend to be a long term owner of cars.

I’ve been after a 356A for a long time. Sod’s law, a few weeks after buying the 914 I was offered a 1959 356A by a friend of mine in Tennessee. I’ve known about this car for more than a year. It wasn’t for sale.

Then I get a call - and saying I could buy his car. Now I’m really torn. I don’t have the money to own both cars. Tough call.

I decided to sell the 914. It then comes down to what I sell it for. I honestly believe the 914 is a condition one car - and right up there with the best examples. I’d like to sell it for the maximum I can to put towards the purchase of the 356. If it’s on for too high a price - then I’m cool with that.

The help from 914World folks has been incredible. I’m grateful to everyone who has contributed. I wasn’t looking to pick brains to do a flip. It’s just the way events played out. That’s the truth.

Perhaps I should have set this out in my first advert. No offence was meant by this. I’m a 60 year old long time Porsche fan. Not looking to make money for the sake of it.
gturner008
I’ll post up some pictures of documents
gturner008
More documents
gturner008
More
gturner008
I have some original brochures too
FlacaProductions
I see @fiacra point but in the end, if you feel like you were hoodwinked by a flipper (which i do NOT think is the case here) you have to look at it from the standpoint of the 914World community pitching in to make an exceptional 914 even better. The questions were legit and presented thoughtfully with the idea of making the car as good as it can be.

Sure it's about the people but it's about the cars.

As to price - the market will determine how much is too much - it's a unique one for sure. I never knew about the Sebring promotion until this one came up...pretty cool. Thanks for bringing it to the attention of 914World and best of luck!
nditiz1
Understandable, but your price is not reflecting as such.

I was in a similar situation not long ago. Bought a really great condition 914 for a reasonable price. Then, a car I really wanted became available for a decent price. I ended up selling my car for a little over what I paid. So I got my money back on the parts I put into it rebuilding the top end and then sold it for maybe 1-2k on top. Had I not gotten a great deal on the first place I would have broken even or been under.

I realize that some people with money to burn are throwing crazy money at some OG low mileage 914s especially on BAT, but this community is not made up of those people. The ones that are seeing no scrutiny on and drooling over are the cars that can be had for less money than the owner has put into them. Take the black 76 euro on here right now. A car that looks excellent and priced accordingly.

You would be better off selling on BAT to achieve the money needed to get your dream car 356. If you really wanted to get cash to get the 356 you would sell yours at a more reasonable price. You cannot speculate the value based on a few 914s that have recently sold. Its a very nice looking car, but not /6 money and probably not even a 6 conversion money.
gturner008
Thanks for all the comments.

Here’s the 356 I’ve committed to buy.

If I can’t find a buyer for the 914, I’ll endeavour to keep it. My job is not secure with Covid, and already taking a 50% pay cut.

Maybe there is a collector out there that wants a perfect condition one car. Let’s see.

I won’t be disappointed if it does not sell. I just went for a drive this morning - and I can really get the 914 and why it’s such a great car.

I don’t think BaT will work. It failed to meet reserve a couple of months ago. It stopped at just $18k. I hunted down the seller - a two hour drive north of Toronto. Paid a fair price.
JamesM
QUOTE(gturner008 @ Jul 10 2020, 03:38 AM) *

Totally original. Unmarked throughout.

Except for all the places that it isn't. Granted it appears to be a clean car, eyes that have been around 914s as long as those here have can pretty easily spot that this isn't everything you are saying it is.

When was the engine pulled and what was the reason?
gturner008
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jul 14 2020, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(gturner008 @ Jul 10 2020, 03:38 AM) *

Totally original. Unmarked throughout.

Except for all the places that it isn't. Granted it appears to be a clean car, eyes that have been around 914s as long as those here have can pretty easily spot that this isn't everything you are saying it is.

When was the engine pulled and what was the reason?

Engine was never pulled. I’m intrigued by you saying you can easily spot that’s this isn’t everything I say it is.

What are you and others seeing that I’m not? You are implying I am misrepresenting the car in some way. I’m not. Absolutely not. It is what I am saying it is. A 39k mile, original, as it left the factory/dealer. First owner from 1976 to 2015. No mechanical repairs of any kind (other than routine maintenance).

The car has no hidden history. Be specific about how you believe it’s not as I’m describing or photo’d.

JamesM
QUOTE(gturner008 @ Jul 14 2020, 06:26 PM) *

What are you and others seeing that I’m not? You are implying I am misrepresenting the car in some way. I’m not. Absolutely not. It is what I am saying it is. A 39k mile, original, as it left the factory/dealer. First owner from 1976 to 2015. No mechanical repairs of any kind (other than routine maintenance).

The car has no hidden history. Be specific about how you believe it’s not as I’m describing or photo’d.

Yes, I believe it is possible you are misrepresenting this car. but just to be sure I am not spreading miss information myself I just want to confirm the car in question is Chassis# 4762900423?

IE this car: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-porsche-914-26/

As far as being specific about the things I see, I am a little reluctant to do that as I am not entirely convinced that information wont be used to more effectively miss represent this car in the future. SO the points that i see in the pictures you posted here I am going to keep to myself for now and instead ill focus on some of the information/pictures that were included the the BAT auction that appear to have been selectively excluded here.

Lets start with the most glaringly obvious issue: The car was listed by the last owner as "True mileage is unknown." and yet you are representing it now as a documented 39k miles car. You also state it was a one owner car which seems to contradict with information in the BAT listing and the fact that the mileage was stated as unknown, a single owner would know if the odo had rolled over.
That is already throwing a lot of red flags.

Then there is this, that speaks for itself:
Click to view attachment

Just from the shots that you yourself posted though, there are 4 things that immediately stand out to me, as well as a couple others that are are the least questionable. I am curious to see if anyone else spots them.

After 20+ years and having restored or parted out countless 914s you start to get really familiar with a lot of the fine details of these cars and these details become some of the first things you notice when looking at a car. Colors, textures, markings, etc.

I said i wouldn't, but ill give you one point as an example. Here is a fun fact: I currently possess at least 7 complete matching gauge sets. Pretty much all these sets vary in some way from one another BUT the one thing that is very noticeable is that while the needle colors vary from set to set, across any single set the needles always match as they have faded at the same rate. Really looks like some of your gauges have been swapped here and based on some other factors I see in your pictures I would guess the Tach is original and the speedo and fuel gauge have been swapped. Only telling you this one as it looks like you acquired the car this way as i see it in the BAT photos as well.

Dont get me wrong it looks like you have a solid car here and assuming you didnt pay over 25k for it I would say you did pretty well, but an all original, unmolested, 39k mile $75k car it isnt, at least not today.

I am curious though, if you have the time, post a picture of one of the rear control arms with the wheel removed. Interested to see how far the PO went with the referb work
gturner008
Honest response by me. Good questions raised.

* BaT won’t say actual miles, rather their standard practice is to state TMU with older cars
* I have been in email exchange with the first owner (Loretta). She bought the car from new. Kept it to 2015. I have photos of the car from new - and throughout her ownership. Despite 3 divorces she always kept the car. I have garage receipts and official documents showing miles from new to 2015. The car had 37k miles up to 2005. Then another 1,500 miles covered during 2005 to 2015 - documents proving.

She then sold the car to Egon, the chap who listed it on BaT. He shipped it to Toronto. Put it in his Porsche collection - dry warm garage. Egon didn’t drive the car at all. Put on a handful of miles - maybe 50 miles. Didn’t register the car in Ontario.

I purchased from Egon. Technically true it’s now a three owner car.

Hell holes had light surface discolouration and paint break down. No rust. I repainted and took photos. Same with battery tray. Photos taken.

Garages never changed. Original. I took out to see the cause of the washer system not working. Turned out it was because I didn’t have enough psi in the spare wheel.

The car’s history is as water tight as you can get. Backed up with documents. Probably more evidence and traceable proof than 99% of any car.

I’m not misrepresenting anything with this car.
gturner008
The VIN you state is correct.

The car has not be restored. Ever.

The yellowing of the area shown in your photo was an anti corrosion wax like oil. It wiped off.

I’ll add some additional photos of the area you’ve asked for.

I believe you’ve just not got your head around the facts in the miles and documented proof here. I did my diligence thoroughly and have had many email and calls with the first owner. She’s a lovely lady and absolutely treasured her 914. It’s a credit to her. She didn’t drive it in winter. Had it serviced 19 times (all with garage receipts). Only drove it in sunny days.

The Zeibart treatment she commissioned with the dealer was a great investment. A very effective process. Incredible, but the dealer fit radio/cassette was more expensive than the Zeibart treatment!

I hope James that I’ve described fully why I believe the car is as genuine as they come. I too want you to know I’m as genuine as they come too. It’s not relevant what I paid for the car.

gturner008
Another shot.
rhodyguy
Quite the discussion in a FS ad. So much for posted rules. Remember not to EVER make any profit if you ever sell your house (or anything else for that matter). Sell it for what you paid for it.
gturner008
Here here. Agreed.
JamesM
Whatever the case it does appear to be a very clean car. I wish you best of luck with the sale.
914Next
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 15 2020, 08:27 AM) *

Quite the discussion in a FS ad. So much for posted rules. Remember not to EVER make any profit if you ever sell your house (or anything else for that matter). Sell it for what you paid for it.

agree.gif

I don't know the seller or the car but I give him quite a bit of credit for having the patience to put up with some of the comments here. Thanks for keeping a cool head. Frankly I don't see "flipper". I see a guy who was smart enough to go after a car that many of us passed by on BAT (still don't understand how this one topped out at 18k there) bought the car, was fascinated with it's originality, explored that with others here, cleaned the car up and is attempting to now sell it. While I don't think he'll get anywhere close to $75k, why the hell should he not go for whatever her can get? Those who say he should take just a reasonable profit over what he paid so that the next owner can realize any additional profit truly make no sense. Come on guys....give this guy a break. Let's all appreciate what appears to be a really nice car and wish him well with the sale.

To the seller: I agree with the other person who suggested you go back to BAT. With the right pics and presented in the right way, I see this car possibly bringing $40-45k+ assuming some of the questions being raised can be addressed.
FlacaProductions
agree.gif THIS.

Nicely put, @914Next

If someone thinks that the price is too high, they shouldn't buy it.
If it goes high, it's a rising tide for the rest of us....
gturner008
I really appreciate your comments.

I’ve been blown away by this great community - such amazing help whenever I asked a dumb Newbie question.

I’m trying to work out a way to keep the 914. I don’t think I want to go into my personal circumstances, but Covid hasn’t been good. I’ve advertised my 67 VW split screen bus now. Perhaps that will sell and I can then keep the 914.

I’ll then have a 72 911 ST, a 1959 356A and a 1976 914. These are the three cars that’ll join me on my wife and me on our return back to the UK in 2 years time - into retirement land.

So a buyer for the 914 - will need to come forward in the next few days - or it’s a RNM for me!

Gary
gturner008
Update.

I’ve listed the VW bus on BaT. Will go live in a couple of weeks. 914 will be a keeper. More I drive it, the more I like it.

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(gturner008 @ Jul 24 2020, 03:57 AM) *

Update.

I’ve listed the VW bus on BaT. Will go live in a couple of weeks. 914 will be a keeper. More I drive it, the more I like it.

hey, i want to commend you on how you handled and reacted/did not react to some of the criticism regarding your f/s ad. First off- that discussion and comments were and rhodguy said were out of line and completely off base and against the stated rules for the FS ad classifieds section. different if its in the garage but it was not! so great job and i dont think i would have been so diplomatic as you, but anyway i would never begrudge someone to make a profit on a car or as Kevin said on a house or what ever. Buy low sell hi if you can. I have made and lost on home sales, but one house i bought for $175k and years later i sold for $425k!!! i would never apologize for that i made a nice profit , it was the market was at the time in 2004/5! so moving on now, but if you end up relisting or bumping this due to need to sell, more power to you. I have restored my car over the past 10 years, i paid $2k and would not sell it for less than $50k, that iswhat itsinsured for as well. Yours is a low miles original non restored car so yes its worth atlease that based on other sales in auctions etc this past 2 years, you will have no issues with Haggerty to iinsure that for agreed value of $65-$75k i am sure. but just wanted to say Welcome and encourage you to post in the Garage and keep us posted on your ownership of this nice car.

And good luck getting the other stuff to sell, but good decision to keep the 914 and the 356 from an investment and enjoyment perspective.

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.